NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Origin of 1967(?) Corn King Ron Santo Photo Card

I don't know if this photo card has ever been catalogued or if anyone who doesn't collect vintage Cubs or Ron Santo items is even aware of it, but I talked to an eBay seller that just sold one who told me an interesting story about it. He told me that approximately fifty years ago (1967?) as a little leaguer in the Chicago area he went to a Ron Santo public signing at a Jewel grocery store. Apparently these were handed out to kids and fans as they waited in line. He told me that Santo was his idol at the time but he was shocked to see Santo smoking a cigarette as he signed it. That would be unthinkable now but was acceptable at the time. I have only seen three or four of these over the years on eBay, and all of them were signed by Santo. As an eleven or twelve year old little leaguer in New Jersey in 1978 or 1979, I remember going to a similar signing of Chris Chambliss where they handed out a black and white photo for him to sign. Unfortunately that is long gone. I stupidly forgot to put in a snipe on the Corn King Santo photo, but I do have one that I found on eBay years ago. It is about 5 x 7, glossy, blank backed, and printed on thick paper similar to a 60's advisory photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corn King Santo.jpg (79.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 06-14-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Al Richter

If you buy a card that has Best Wishes from the player who signs it, and you sell or trade that card, does the Best Wishes dissipate or can you transfer it to the new owner. Or can the original possessor retain Best Wishes in the transaction through some remainder or mineral rights clause even though he gives up the picture itself. Would any of that affect the value of the item on the market ?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Marty

Hey Al! I think maybe if you do an endorsement on the back as the original owner with a "Pay to the order of," the best wishes should be transferable!

Nice item by the way - I find the more obscure or unusual the issuer, the more interesting an oddball item like this gets!

Last edited by laughlinfan; 06-14-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I don't know if this photo card has ever been catalogued or if anyone who doesn't collect vintage Cubs or Ron Santo items is even aware of it, but I talked to an eBay seller that just sold one who told me an interesting story about it. He told me that approximately fifty years (1967) that as a little leaguer in the Chicago area he went to a Ron Santo public signing at a Jewel grocery store. Apparently these were handed out to kids and fans as they waited in line. He told me that Santo was his idol at the time but he was shocked to see Santo smoking a cigarette as he signed it. That would be unthinkable now but was acceptable at the time. I have only seen three or four of these over the years on eBay, and all of them were signed by Santo. As an eleven or twelve year old little leaguer in New Jersey in 1978 or 1979, I remember going to a similar signing of Chris Chambliss where they handed out a black and white photo for him to sign. Unfortunately that is long gone. I stupidly forgot to put in a snipe on the Corn King Santo photo, but I do have one that I found on eBay years ago. It is about 5 x 7, glossy, blank backed, and printed on thick paper similar to a 60's advisory photo.

Cool card, had never seen before. I'm a Santo collector, he's been my favorite vintage Cub for a long time. Just a gritty and determined character. Banks may have been Mr. Cub, but Santo was the backbone of a lot of those teams.

As far as the smoking goes, I think it's probably par for the course. I've heard snippets here and there before about Santo smoking and drinking, which of course combined with his diabetes had to have been toxic - but as he's pointed out in the past - they knew next to nothing about the disease in the 1960's. Who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
If you buy a card that has Best Wishes from the player who signs it, and you sell or trade that card, does the Best Wishes dissipate or can you transfer it to the new owner. Or can the original possessor retain Best Wishes in the transaction through some remainder or mineral rights clause even though he gives up the picture itself. Would any of that affect the value of the item on the market ?
If I search for one that was signed to a Cliff I think will be waiting a while . I have other items that are signed by Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Santo, and Fergie Jenkins that I would just as soon not be signed at all, but they are so rare that I take what I can get. I have an uncatalogued small Wilson Advisory card of Ernie Banks that is personalized by Banks to another person, I will put up a scan when I get home. ETA, here is a scan of the 60's Ernie Banks small Wilson advisory card, it is personalized to a girl named Sheryn. Sheryn was the seller of this Banks card on eBay a couple of years ago, and in her description of the card she had a similar story that the Banks card was handed out to people waiting in line to get a Banks autograph, but I forget where she said the signing was. It might have been a sporting goods store. It's about the size of a regular card and blank backed. I still need a Ron Santo card in the same format.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banks advisory.jpg (78.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 06-15-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added photo