NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Rookie of the Year Projections

Thoughts?

Looking at the Mariners' James Paxton, I was checking past pitchers who won the award, and found Steve Howe in 1980: 7-9 record with 2.66 ERA and 84.2 innings pitched.

Given Howe's record, Paxton is 5-1 with 1.91 ERA and 47 innings pitched. He should get 4-5 more starts.

I guess Abreu is a lock though.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-03-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM

My picks:

AL:

Pretty sure Jose Abreu takes it. But if the voters prefer to choose the real "rookie" I would think it would be a toss up between Dellin Betances and Matt Shoemaker.

NL:

Billy Hamilton or Jacob deGrom.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
My picks:

AL:

Pretty sure Jose Abreu takes it. But if the voters prefer to choose the real "rookie" I would think it would be a toss up between Dellin Betances and Matt Shoemaker.

NL:

By the way, your man Adam Dunn slaughtered a Felix Hernandez pitch today, so he's continuing to be a good pick-up for the A's. They showed an interview after the game, of him describing batting against Felix. Very likable person - hopefully he does what it takes to make it to the HOF.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
My picks:

AL:

NL:

Let's give Paxton the Rookie of the Year Award and Abreu the newly created

'Hideo Nomo' Import Award. (Chipper would be pleased)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Let's give Paxton the Rookie of the Year Award and Abreu the newly created

'Hideo Nomo' Import Award. (Chipper would be pleased)
Paxton has been amazing so far. If he achieves close to a best case scenario of five starts with 6-7 innings each, maintains his current ERA and gets 4 or 5 wins, he'll have had an incredible year. Given that the other Mariner arms are tiring, Paxton could be a major star in the post-season, with only around 80-90 innings for the year.

But I believe Abreu will still get it.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Bill Gregory

I tell you guys, Paxton is going to be a good one. If I'm a team in the American League West, I'm going to start hating to face the Mariners. King Felix is out of this world, and he's still young, only 28. Paxton is looking great. If Danny Hultzen can come back from surgery, I still think he could be a really great pitcher. But the guy that I think is going to be absolutely scary is Taijuan Walker. Once he gets his control in the Majors, look out.

This rotation would be sick

Felix Hernandez
Taijuan Walker
James Paxton
Danny Hultzen

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Bill Gregory

That's a mighty nice looking card.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Paxton has been amazing so far. If he achieves close to a best case scenario of five starts with 6-7 innings each, maintains his current ERA and gets 4 or 5 wins, he'll have had an incredible year. Given that the other Mariner arms are tiring, Paxton could be a major star in the post-season, with only around 80-90 innings for the year.

But I believe Abreu will still get it.
Agreed. He's been a stud. But I think he wins it only because Masahiro Tanaka got hurt. He was having a spectacular rookie season.

12-4 18 starts, 2.51 ERA. 135 K, 19 BB in 129.1 IP. 9.4 K/9 IP and a really outstanding 7.11 K:BB ratio. 1.005 WHIP.

His ERA was inflated by his last start, when it was clear during the game he was hurt. He gave up 5 earned runs in 6.2 IP. I'd say that he was also affected the start prior when he gave up 4 earned in 7 IP. Before those two starts he was 11-3 with a 2.10 ERA, 127 K in 115.2 IP. 0.951 WHIP.

That was one of the most dominating first halves of a rookie season from a pitcher in some time!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Amongst real rookies, even with a best case rest of the season for Paxton, Dellin Betances has been a beast and to me he would be the winner.

Betances: 80 IP, 120 K, 21 BB, 1.46 ERA , 13.5 K/9

Shoemaker has been incredible too, especially for a 27 year old rookie. 14-4 and the savior of the Angels rotation. If ROY were more of an MVP type award I think Shoemaker would be the clear winner.

Last edited by packs; 09-04-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

I forgot about Tanaka, but Bill forgot to put Iwakuma in the Mariners rotation, so we're even. At the beginning of the year, Paxton was the 3rd prospect out of himself, Walker and Hultzen. And he didn't make the larger full-MLB lists. He's got a great fast ball and curve and his control is even better than last year. Just a matter now of whether or not the other teams will figure him out after a few more looks.