NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Greg Mitchell

Default Growing appeal of...eye appeal?

As you know, PWCC with its new "certified" awards is really pushing premium prices for extra "eye appeal"--vaguely defined, like the famous quote by the Supreme Court justice ("I know it when I see it").

Putting aside any other issues you have with this and with PWCC--is there a growing trend to more value and popularity for especially good-looking or well-centered cards? In other words, is PWCC on to something here? Obviously a small premium has always been evident, but have prices really been going up on premium-looking cards lately?

Last edited by GregMitch34; 06-10-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Especially true in high value cards graded auth.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, the PSA/CU board has been posted very high prices for clean centered mid grade cards that look like 8s and how they're probably 50-60% higher than VCP average for the grade. Not just to bump, but because some of the new money prefers well-centered cards over just the grade on the flip.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Banned

Until tonight I didn't know that a card in an SGC 20 holder is considered "high end." So, yes, I think the OP's premise is a sound one.

R0b D3wolf
Old 06-10-2015, 07:12 PM
pete ullman

this concept is not new...people respond to and buy into puffery...which is what this is.

I mean how long have people around here been saying "buy the card" not the holder?!

Last edited by ullmandds; 06-10-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think any grade can be high end but a high end 10 sounds kind of silly to me. And to answer your question, Yes, I think folks are being pickier and willing to pay for quality collectibles. It seems some of the lesser items have fallen but not the really nice ones. That is my perspective, but I have always tried to go for eye appeal over technical grade. (at least in the Luckey Collection I)...and I should note that it's not like I shopped around for this card.......but generally do try for decent eye appeal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt5cobb.jpg (73.6 KB, 426 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-10-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Especially true in high value cards graded auth.
Dennis, I sure hope you are right about this!! The reason being, I currently have this very scarce Mantle card with a beautiful image of Mantle that is graded SGC "A" (because of the way it was cut from a Briggs Meats box) up for auction on eBay. I need to realize as many $$ as I can from this card so that I can bid on more cards in the upcoming Leon Luckey Auction! (Leon - hope you are ok with this bit of shameless promotion!)
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Briggs Meats - Mantle - front.jpg (78.0 KB, 360 views)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Matt

I think Pete and Leon are dead on. Basically, PWCC is just calling out the cards that so many of us collectors have historically paid premiums for, cards which fit the "buy the card, not the holder" mantra. As has been posted above, this is a trend that's been around for a long, long time.

Collectors used to, and still do, hunt for such diamonds of eye appeal in the rough, so to speak. PWCC is just hanging a lantern on them.

Unnecessary, really, as collectors who aren't impressed by mere sticker grade and who are the type to bid into cards with eye appeal that transcends the sticker grade will do so readily without the lantern. That said, no harm, no foul.

Going back years and years now, we can see VCP data will always contain some beautiful card that is a real anomaly of eye appeal for its grade, and in turn breaks out way over the old VCP average.

The last Clemente RC in REA comes to mind. It was a PSA 4 which wound up selling for PSA 6 money as I recall. There was a stunning e90-1 Shoeless Joe in HA last year that was a "lowly" 1.5, and sold for a few whole grades higher, in terms of historical averages.

But yes, to some extent the secret is out in that more and more collectors are buying the card as opposed to the holder. As a buyer, I think it used to feel that the vast majority would ignore the fact that each card is a unique piece, despite some having the same grade-- and you could almost count on being able to "steal" an exceptional card for its grade for just a hair more than the average looking specimen. But now we are seeing those special cards really close the gap with the next grade up.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-10-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:20 AM
Greg Mitchell

Well, I hope that's all true, as I've always bought for eye appeal and centering...

Should note that PSA bought into this with their .5 grades.....seems like most of the 4.5 and 5.5 get it for centering and general look....
Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think Pete and Leon are dead on. Basically, PWCC is just calling out the cards that so many of us collectors have historically paid premiums for, cards which fit the "buy the card, not the holder" mantra. As has been posted above, this is a trend that's been around for a long, long time.

Collectors used to, and still do, hunt for such diamonds of eye appeal in the rough, so to speak. PWCC is just hanging a lantern on them.

Unnecessary, really, as collectors who aren't impressed by mere sticker grade and who are the type to bid into cards with eye appeal that transcends the sticker grade will do so readily without the lantern. That said, no harm, no foul.

Going back years and years now, we can see VCP data will always contain some beautiful card that is a real anomaly of eye appeal for its grade, and in turn breaks out way over the old VCP average.

The last Clemente RC in REA comes to mind. It was a PSA 4 which wound up selling for PSA 6 money as I recall. There was a stunning e90-1 Shoeless Joe in HA last year that was a "lowly" 1.5, and sold for a few whole grades higher, in terms of historical averages.

But yes, to some extent the secret is out in that more and more collectors are buying the card as opposed to the holder. As a buyer, I think it used to feel that the vast majority would ignore the fact that each card is a unique piece, despite some having the same grade-- and you could almost count on being able to "steal" an exceptional card for its grade for just a hair more than the average looking specimen. But now we are seeing those special cards really close the gap with the next grade up.

Is the opposite also true? Have prices come down for technically higher graded cards with less eye appeal (centering, diamond cut, or registration issues)?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:59 AM
Matt

Good point and I personally would really, really hope so. I don't shop in the high technical grade range myself, so can't really attest to that. Unfortunately what little I do see in the 8-9-10 space seems to indicate that there are enough collectors (or perhaps flippers and Registry players) to essentially "bail out" high numerical stickers even when the card inside doesn't match-- let alone exceed-- the technical grade. Over on the psa boards I couldn't resist flagging what really strikes the eye as a low end psa 9 card, and on its merits as a card it should sell for 8 money. Instead it's already on its way to the 9 area.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:13 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Is the opposite also true? Have prices come down for technically higher graded cards with less eye appeal (centering, diamond cut, or registration issues)?
I think so. I have bought a lot of nm7 oc cards usually mid level stars (think tony perez, Stargell etc) for below ex5 prices.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I was happy to buy the qualifier, not the card, on this postwar pair last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-OC-196...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 06-11-2015, 12:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

I have noticed centered mantles in particular going for high premiums. Not just the 51s and 52s, but late 50s and all his 60s issues as well. It does seem as though more people are adhering to the buy the card not the holder philosophy.

I have also noticed many cards that look off center for the grade sell towards low end of typical ranges. I certainly don't see many wtb posts saying centering and registration are not a priorty. A lot of you have been collecting far longer than myself, but I don't remember centering being as big of a deal a few years ago.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:35 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I think most people will pay a premium for a card they are looking for
that is much nicer than the technical grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pasorius hindu.jpg (46.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Pastorius Back.jpg (41.8 KB, 166 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Matt

Holy Cow that's an amazing card for the grade! Nice score!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I think most people will pay a premium for a card they are looking for
that is much nicer than the technical grade.
Absolutely +1!

Regards to all,

Larry
Old 06-13-2015, 12:36 AM
je.sse @rnot

That card looks amazing for a 2. Is there something I'm missing to account for the grade?