NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Zeenut size variance question

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Can anyone tell me what if any size tolerance is encountered in 1926 Zeenuts? I recently won one that is almost 1/16 too narrow, with sharp corners, and am concerned it may be trimmed.
Left it at home so no scan available. Any help appreciated.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't have experience with that particular year but can tell you, from the several hundred other ones I've handled, I never noticed a side to side variance. Of course the trimmed coupons on bottom do make for a t-b difference. Others will probably know better but other years don't have l-r variances that I've noticed. ..also, of course look at the other attributes of trimming ie...square corners with some rounding and wavy cut..btw, got back my '17 Chance today (w/o coupon) in an SGC40 holder and it sure looks nice in that black frame....good luck

Old 04-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Hi Todd,
I've heard of top-to-bottom size differences due to coupon removal, but I haven't heard anything about side-to-side size variances on Zeenuts. I checked some of my 1924's and 1925's (I only have one 1926) and they all measured basically the same side-to-side (roughly 1" 3/4 or so). If it turns out yours wasn't deliberately trimmed, then perhaps it was just part of a group of 1926's that were cut incorrectly from the original sheet? Wish I could be of better assistance, but I'm still a pup when it comes to Zeenuts.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

legitimate side cut variations almost always have a sliver of the next door neighbor card on them. I have never seen a legitimate side to side variation that was narrower.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I can't help you with trimmed side to side, but I have two 1924 Schangs (for some inexplicable reason). One measures 1 3/4", but the other has about an extra 1/16" on the left side, from another card (rare premium variation, no doubt )

Max

Old 04-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Well Leon wheres the Chance scan at? and what about my zeenut card,did snail mail get you your check yet?

Old 04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

card went out today btw, haven't deposited the check yet either...but will today...as for the Chance I just got the group back while at work (which I should really be doing but it's no fun)....so might scan him this evening....got a neat grouping back....and an SGC84 N526 Kelly with the CS White overprint.....from the Egan collection.....sorry to skip around on subjects.....I'll reprimand myself later too.......later

edited for safety reasons......John- you can email me privately if you want the tracking number

Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Let me know if the bank teller giggles when she reads the reason on the check

PS i cant add any info on zeenuts as the only one i have i dont have yet and i dont plan on getting any more for awhile

Old 04-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Haven't looked at it under a loupe yet, but it definitely measures "thin".

Edited to add that I used a Canadian-made ruler--does this mean I should add or subtract length (I forget the exchange rate)

Old 04-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I know I spent hours (yes hours) with Mark Macrae on these sets before we put them into the Beckett Alamanac and he was very specific about making sure we (and I'm pretty sure he told the esteemed Mr. Lemke at Krause the same things) to use the words, "these cards measure approximately" for each set.

So, I can not control what grading companies do, but as far as Mark knows, there are legit variances in the card sizes of Zeenuts.

Rich

Old 04-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Todd

I must have been reading Canadian tax law too much today, but to me, it looks like your zeenut slightly exceeds 1 3/4". Is your standard size 1 3/4" or something else?

Okay, so I didn't look at the left edge of the ruler, missing the 1/16" of an inch. Well, at least our governments are running surpluses.

Max

Old 04-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Administrator

not a good for me point. The scan is a bit of an optical illusion--don't ask me why. Still, I had been measuring across the top, which comes up short. The bottom measures correctly, which means I bought a trapezoidal shaped card. That can't be good.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Not to sound too harsh, but when it comes to Zeenuts, only a true collector should be collecting them--too worry whether it is 1/16" narrow is plain silly. As long as you didn't spend a ton of money upon it, who cares? Trust me, when it comes to other issues, I like to know whether I have a trimmed card or not (over the years I have become much more accepting of trimmed cards--hey, they quite often come cheaper), but if you can't accept the fact that a Zeenut might be narrower than it should be, then don't collect them. Enjoy the card you've got--it is a real nice example. I have this exact 1926 card of Wright, and it also measures short of 1-3/4". In fact, it looks just like yours (only in rougher shape), and the photo ends in the same place on both left and right sides. I have widths ranging from almost a 1/16" narrow to over 1/16" wider in the 1926 series. Where do the wider cards get there extra width? From the ones that end up narrow. Like what was mentioned in some of the previous posts, there are sizes variances. Sure, there are trimmed cards in Zeenuts, but sometimes that is what is available, and you have to trust me on this, a true Zeenut collector doesn't mind. Sure, he might like to upgrade one day, but it is better than having a hole in his collection.

Just one Zeenut away from going crazy,

Brian

Old 04-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Administrator

thanks for the post. I'm glad your Wright seems to look just like mine.

I do worry about trimming-- I couldn't care less if it measures short so long as it is not trimmed. As I said, though, it appears as if mine is slightly short on top and correct on bottom, i.e., not square. This too would not bother me it were commonly encountered, although I have a tough time envisioning a printing/cutting process where this could occur "naturally".

I hate trimmed cards, regardless of what I paid for them. I could see buying one or two for educational purposes if it were disclosed as trimmed, was rare, looked nice, and the price was a song. Issues that are generally hand-cut are acceptable to me too. But taking what was probably an ex card and trimmming it to make it look nm is an abomination in my eyes.

I'm not sure what you meant in stating that Zeenuts should be left to "true collectors". I am a collector, not an investor. I collect types. Grades generally don't interest me, but I want my cards authentic and unaltered. It might be different if I were collecting the set--take a trim job and upgrade later.

If you're saying that these cards can come in all shapes and sizes, that's good to know. My intial post was intended for future use when these come up for bid. As for this one, if it's trimmed, consider it for sale.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Sorry Todd to jump all over you on this--we all collect in different ways. As a type collector, it makes sense that you would want to be sure that they are the correct size. And I didn't mean to lump you in as an investor--ohhh, they are a squirelly type with sharp, pointy teeth.

As far as an angle cut, that seems to me to be less common among Zeenuts. I do have one 1926 that measures about 1/32" different between top and bottom and it doesn't appear trimmed, so it is possible. Although I am no printing expert, couldn't the blades cutting these card from top to bottom become slightly out of line, causing an irregular cut? If there are variances in width size, couldn't there also be some issues with the blade alignment?

Just thoughts,

Brian

Old 04-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

after all, we've all seen some T and E issues that have that odd cut, so mis-aligned blades could explain it--works for me

Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I do tend to agree that a Zeenut collector will look past damage that would send collectors of other issues running in horror. I've paid nicely for cards that were "artistically" trimmed and badly creased, bent and worn simply because if you do not do it, you may not ever get the card.

BTW, has anyone followed the prices on the Zeenuts in Mastro? Holy &*&^% Batman, those are some wicked prices!

Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Loraine Miller

I previously asked for help in finding a card for a relative and many of you responded helping me locate the only card made for my Uncle. Since I have never collected any, except for the lone 1925 Zeenut of my Uncle, I wonder if someone could tell me a bit about Zeenuts cards. How were they distributed? When you talk about them being cut from the sheet, do you mean in production or by the recipient? Please tell me anything else that you think is pertinent.

Thank you,
Loraine