NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default O/T: Boxing Collectors...Bob Fitzsimmons

Posted By: Turner Engle

I picked this up at my local Columbus show today for $35 of Bob Fitzsimmons. I have been doing a bit of research on him and it seems like he was a well-known boxer back in his time. I know nothing about boxing, but I thought you collectors of this stuff could help me out. Any value?

Thanks in advance.

Turner

Leon if this is too O/T feel free to delete this post.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Turner--You did well. Fitzsimmons was world heavyweight champion(weighing only 167 lbs) after Corbett. I would say the cabinet is worth $250-$350.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Nice Pick-Up Turner

Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Turner,

Well done. That cabinet photo is a keeper in my opinion.

Rob

Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Fitzsimmons was and is one of the most famous boxers of the era. Boxing's popular equivalent to a Jimmie Foxx or Walter Johnson.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s cabinet cards of famous boxers, like Fitzsimmons, were sold commercially. Yours more than probably was sold commercially and you can count it as a 'trading card' if you wish. I won't guess value, but can assure you that it's worth more than you paid.

I agree with the others that it's a nice pickup.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner Engle

Thanks for the replies you guys. At this time I think I will hold on to it for a while. Or just until a certain card comes along

Thanks,

Turner Engle

Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Howard W. Rosenberg

Here’s a picture of Fitzsimmons from my Cap Anson bio. Both performed on stage, and after seeing Anson appear in 1918, the Sacramento Bee said, "In his talk the first person singular pronoun is singularily lacking as compared with the stunts of his illustrious [sports] predecessors, [Bob] Fitzsimmons, [Jim] Corbett, et al." Perhaps more interesting. Anson bore a resemblance to Fitzsimmons. Anson once recalled once being mistaken for him by a crowd in Kansas City when they were staying at the same hotel.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill

here's mine