NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 AM
Jay Cee

Default Is it time to respect postcards in the B/S/T

As I search the B/S/T for this week bargins. It just frustrates me that I have to hunt for postcards/Exhibits in all the threads. I see there is a T206 thread. Why can't we just admit that postcards/Exhibits are just not a nitche anymore as most collectors have at least one in their collection.

Correct me below on some of these examples on postcards/Exhibits

1. What is Lou Gehrigs rookie card? (1925 Exhibit)
2. What is Ty Cobbs Rookie card (1906-7 postcards many)
3. What is one of the most beautiful cards ever made (Rose postcards)
4. What cross references every decade starting from early 1900s (postcards)
5. Most collectors collect players,teams, and stadiums. All can be found PCs
6. Values have been increasing on postcards/exhibits because of their popularity
7. What is one of the longest running threads on this forum? (Lets see some postcards) which competes with the T206 thread which has its own B/S/T spot.

Maybe its just me being an advid postcard collector, but I am pushing for its own thread in the B/S/T area. Not sure if I am in the minority or majority. Just wanted to think outloud and see if any good comes from it.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Derek Granger

interesting idea...I wish I had thought of it.

It does seem that the postcards get posted all over the place, but they do tend to be centralized in the two places that would be most logical for this forum and its members (pre-WWII cards and/or Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T). You have to filter out the other "junk", but it's manageable. Separating the T206 into its own category was brilliant.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Don't think there's enough posts to warrant their own section like t206. Plus they suck.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

I agree with JC as thats a brilliant idea! My favorite vintage cards are PCs
Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Don't think there's enough posts to warrant their own section like t206. Plus they suck.
Hey Jeff, why don't you tell us how you really feel. 😎
Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 AM
pete ullman

While I DO NOT agree that Rose postcards are anything spectacular in the looks category...I think this is a good idea...despite the fact it will be a low traffic zone!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are already too many categories, imo.....

I might be in agreement to make one of the ones already there be more Exhibit focused....but I doubt an additional section on the BST is in the cards .
Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
I agree with JC as thats a brilliant idea! My favorite vintage cards are PCs
Absolutely +1! They represent some of the highest quality baseball cards of the pre-'50's era--best visual reproductions of the players. Compare some of the '20's Exhibits Postcard Backs, for example, to virtually any other card set of the same era and you will quickly realize there is little room for disputing the above.

Larry
Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I agree from Leon's perspective of having another category to manage, but maybe one of the current ones could just have postcards added to it so members had one designated place to sell. Since most seem to be pre war I'd put them with the caramel and other non tobacco as the traffic on those isn't huge already.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Ben North

Maybe we could trade it for the championship ring section. I couldn'd get any fewer posts.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Maybe we could trade it for the championship ring section. I couldn'd get any fewer posts.
ha ha...i didnt even know there was a championship ring section!!!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Jeff

I started the "Let's see some postcards" thread a little over two years ago, about the same time I was really getting into postcard collecting. I didn't know it would have such staying power. I like how that thread can fly under the radar... then return with a vengeance!

Some amazing postcards show up there!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:43 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Leon, would you consider making Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W,etc..) BST into Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W, PC, etc...) and also add "postcards (PC)" to the second line?

It seems this would clearly identify the space where postcards can be found, but that doesn't add a whole new category.

Last edited by T206Jim; 01-17-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
Leon, would you consider making Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W,etc..) BST into Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W, PC, etc...) and also add "postcards (PC)" to the second line?

It seems this would clearly identify the space where postcards can be found, but that doesn't add a whole new category.
I think there are already too many categories, as far as adding anymore. I will never say never but don't see it.
I will definitely consider adding "Postcards" to a section already there, if that is what folks would like? That being the case I think we should consider looking at the least used section in the BST, which is 19th Century. How about if that were to say "19th Century Cards and Baseball Postcards". I don't think we want to open it to any postcard as that is whole different hobby in itself. Open to debate and maybe the Pre-War category for them would be best?
Old 01-17-2015, 02:08 PM

I would agree with Leon that there are probably already two many categories, and he has a pretty good feel for what's right for the board.

But I would also say there is very little doubt that there are many more people interested in postcards than there are people interested in championship rings (just one very knowledgeable person does the vast majority of posting in that category).

Greg
Old 01-17-2015, 02:25 PM
J1m Ch@pman

As long as "Baseball Postcards" has a home somewhere on BST, exactly where at Leon's discretion, I am happy.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
As long as "Baseball Postcards" has a home somewhere on BST, exactly where at Leon's discretion, I am happy.
ok, there is a specific place for ALL Baseball postcards. It's with the 19th century cards. We'll see how this works. You guys police yourselves too, please.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Bill Gregory

When I came here, I knew next to nothing about post cards. It took looking at Jeff's collection for the first time to see what was possible, and ever since then, I've just loved them. I like the A.C. Dietsche Detroit Tigers post cards as well as the Exhibits post cards. I look forward to expanding my collection to include several examples.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.