NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2021, 06:09 PM
Scott Russell

Default Returned cards from trimming scandal showing up on Ebay

That's right folks you can buy these altered, outed cards at an even HIGHER price than you would've paid for them at this time last year and they're still altered and still in PSA numeric holders. I know, I know you can't wait to get your hands on these.

Maybe this is why they should've gone back to PSA and not the seller!

Blowout link with the cert #'s

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

Ebay items with the same cert #'s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Nap-La...AOSwo79f%7E6dL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter...AOSwr2Bf%7E6aO

Sharing someone else's discovery, can't take credit for spotting this.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-19-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:20 PM
pete ullman

unreal
Old 01-19-2021, 07:41 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

It really was all just a big smokescreen. I wonder if the FBI agents who were supposedly at the Natty a couple years ago were paid actors.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
It really was all just a big smokescreen. I wonder if the FBI agents who were supposedly at the Natty a couple years ago were paid actors.
Covid hit at the perfect time for card doctors, TPAs and corrupt dealers. It likely put the FBI investigation on a back burner, while enabling the acceleration of prices for this trash.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-19-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Covid hit at the perfect time for card doctors, TPAs and corrupt dealers. It likely put the FBI investigation on a back burner, while enabling the acceleration of prices for this trash.
I understand while some might think along these lines, but the FBI wasn't tasked with trying to cure or treat Covid. If there ever was an investigation, it could have continued. I never saw any change in the way the alleged offenders operated, so I have a hard time believing there was ever any heat on them at all.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:04 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Quote:
I understand while some might think along these lines, but the FBI wasn't tasked with trying to cure or treat Covid. If there ever was an investigation, it could have continued. I never saw any change in the way the alleged offenders operated, so I have a hard time believing there was ever any heat on them at all.
Federal grand juries have essentially been shut down for 8+ months. I'm quite sure that the very limited time/space the feds have to put in witnesses isn't being used for a baseball card/fraud investigation. If they plan to indict anyone they will probably need to have numerous witnesses testify in GJ... I am hopeful that is the case.

Last edited by Andrew1975; 01-20-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I have spoken to enough people in the industry who were directly questioned by the FBI to know this is not the case.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
That's right folks you can buy these altered, outed cards at an even HIGHER price than you would've paid for them at this time last year and they're still altered and still in PSA numeric holders. I know, I know you can't wait to get your hands on these.

Maybe this is why they should've gone back to PSA and not the seller!

Blowout link with the cert #'s

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

Ebay items with the same cert #'s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Nap-La...AOSwo79f%7E6dL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter...AOSwr2Bf%7E6aO

Sharing someone else's discovery, can't take credit for spotting this.
Yes, sending these cards back to the seller was the worst option.

Sending them back to PSA would only be option #2, because they’d find a way to stand behind the grade, thus limiting their liability (altered or not).

Best option would have been to send them to the FBI as evidence of fraud.

These slime balls always have a way of wiggling off the hook. People need to start boycotting these sellers.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:43 PM
Scott Russell

I guess when we're told the seller is cooperating with the FBI I foolishly figure that the fraudulent cards aren't just being resold on the QT.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-19-2021, 08:37 PM
Al Stein

So does Probstein know?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 09:52 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Unfortunately I don’t think he really cares.....Why should he? Not like a lot has been done in the hobby to stop this. Card after card being doctored and what happens? There’s an even bigger wait to get a card graded.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

The most valuable card to me is one that shows very clearly there is no possible signs of trimming. Signs of edge wear on a 100+ year old card with wide borders carries a premium over skinny perfect borders.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-20-2021, 06:25 AM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
The most valuable card to me is one that shows very clearly there is no possible signs of trimming. Signs of edge wear on a 100+ year old card with wide borders carries a premium over skinny perfect borders.
I agree 100%...
Old 01-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Part of the problem...

Is that while it may be crystal clear to us and folks at blowout, I presume from a legal standpoint at best these cards are "alleged to have been altered", but not found so in a legal sense.

While I am no fan of nor choose to do business with Probstein or PWCC for reasons clearly called out in multiple threads here, there are clearly many who choose to ignore the facts and poor service in pursuit of stuff.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I kind of took that to heart...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206master2c.jpg (78.0 KB, 1347 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:03 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I kind of took that to heart...
Now that's how they should look, nice cards Leon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-04-2021, 11:25 AM
Duncan

Quote:
I totally agree. I've been buying more and more raw cards that clearly have not been trimmed and enjoying them just as much. Even modern sized cards in a recessed screw down, like the 1962's I've been working on, look as good to me as any slabbed card.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:17 AM
James M.

Terrible. I know how well documented this stuff has been on blowout, but I just don't understand how ebay, just doesn't care.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:18 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Terrible. I know how well documented this stuff has been on blowout, but I just don't understand how ebay, just doesn't care.
Because they get paid...