NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2015, 04:54 PM
pete ullman

Default My local auction house...

My local auction house had some baseball cards this week so I just went to check them out. 4 graded t206 commons...a 55 bowman, 58 topps all star, 64 topps mantle...and a 33 goudey ruth being sold as is. I brought my loupe and my illuminated magnifier.

I left confident the ruth is fake...the others are likely real...but not worth my time!

Someone is going to get ripped off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50302_145.jpg (30.5 KB, 703 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 PM
tony

Tell the auctioneer I am sure he would be happy to know he is not selling fake stuff
Old 03-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
My local auction house had some baseball cards this week so I just went to check them out. 4 graded t206 commons...a 55 bowman, 58 topps all star, 64 topps mantle...and a 33 goudey ruth being sold as is. I brought my loupe and my illuminated magnifier.

I left confident the ruth is fake...the others are likely real...but not worth my time!

Someone is going to get ripped off!
I wouldn't doubt this kind of card gets sold as real almost every single day.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Jeff Lowe

Kinda scary ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shocked-Monkey-Card.jpg (7.8 KB, 376 views)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescooper View Post
Tell the auctioneer I am sure he would be happy to know he is not selling fake stuff
This ^

I have told the local auctioneers on several occasions when they are selling fake stuff. One did not like it so much. It was a consignment auction and I notified him beforehand that the dead mint 1950s Mickey Mantle cards he would be selling that night were fake, not only that but they were on a table loaded with fake flea marketeer junk including Civil War relics. He simply told me that auctions are buyer beware...so when the items came up for bid I just announced loudly that they were fakes...he gave me a death glare and then announced that he didn't know whether they were real or not and you take your own risk when bidding. I get along okay with this auctioneer, but he's definitely known as a snake around these parts.

Another auction house here in town actually seeks out my knowledge on sports memorabilia and I notified them that the autographs they were selling with Christopher Morales COA's were 100% fake they pulled the items from the auction. Another auction house uses me to assess collections of sports memorabilia (and collectible or antique toys) for divorces. Lucky me gets to make a court appearance on March 10th because the wife believes her husband's autograph collection (all without certs) and baseball cards are worth $50,000+...I assessed it at $3,000, and I think he'd be lucky to get that if it went to a local auction.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-02-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:00 PM
tony

Kudos to you Sir.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I guess someone thought they got a hell of a deal for $450. Smart to mix it in with the others. Look for it at the club show or Craigslist
Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescooper View Post
I had this happen at a local auction in Dallas a couple years back. Two Goudey Ruth's and a '56 Mantle, all fake. The auctioneer couldn't have cared less. I was looking at it with a loupe and let all the others that were interested know it was fake. They were skeptical at first, thinking I was trying to get rid of the competition, but when I left the auction I saw most follow suit. Hate how some auctions are happy to hide behind their "sold as is" policies.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:28 AM
pete ullman

The other cards...ie. mantles, t206's sold pretty cheap. Not sure if the mantles were real though?
Old 03-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

They appeared to be real at a glance on the web site, but I'm sure you'd agree that the Ruth smelled fishy right away. If you have PSA graded T-206's and a non graded Ruth Goudey, something's not right.