NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2021, 09:10 AM
Harrison

Default Crossing over Early Graded GAI Cards

Looking for some anecdotal evidence..

In your experiences, have you found better success in submitting early GAI graded cards to PSA or SGC for crossover in their cases, or have you done better breaking them out? I'm talking about the original all shiny silver slips, or even 1st graded cards from back when they were regarded as a good grader.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by TobaccoKing4; 02-21-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:28 AM
Lonnie Nagel

My experience has been only with crossover to PSA.

Submission was sent with cards in the existing GAI slabs.

Only an anecdotal experience as limited to 1 submission of 5 - GAI 7 - 1955 Topps cards

1 of the GAI 7s was designated as "First Graded" - which did cross to a PSA 7

The other 4 did not (min requirement)
Old 02-21-2021, 01:18 PM
Fred

Crossing over GAI to SGC or PSA could result in an "A" grade. Early on, GAI was pretty good with the grading, then it was obvious that a lot of trimmed cards (more than you would expect from a "then" reputable TPG) were getting by.

Look closely at the card, if it's obviously trimmed, then I'd just leave it encapsulated in the GAI holder because, at that point, at least it's protected.

The one thing I like about the GAI holders is that there is a small label at the top that you can read when the slabs are lined up.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:23 PM
pete ullman

ive never crossed a card in a slab...I always remove prior. In my limited experience my GAI card crossed to a number grade. Lets see?
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM
Dave Foster

Default GAI to PSA

I think when a pkg of GAI x-over cards arrives at PSA, bells, whistles go off, lights flash off and on, and a loud PA repeatedly screeches: REJECT! REJECT!
REJECT! I kid, not by much. Think your chances of getting a PSA grade are better if you submit raw.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:26 AM
Phil

I've purchased 4 GAI cards for my collection, mainly because they were cheaper than their PSA equivalents. Three of them were marked "First Graded" so I have guarded faith, with the help of a ruler, that they're fine. I understand why they were lesser in price, but they're for my collection and I'm not worried about their investment potential or crossing them over to another grading company.