NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Default Crossing over T-206 and t-205 Cards

Posted By: Chris Ko

I know this has been discussed sometime long ago. I currently have a several t206 and t205 cards that are graded in the oh so not popular-these days PSA holders. I am considering crossing over my PSA cards for the following reasons:
1) paranoid about PSA's grading standards and whether some of my cards were tampered with and have 'suspect' cards in PSA holders,
2) PSA holders scratched and in some cases cracks forming,
3) prefer SGC holders (they just feel better), and more importantly,
4) SGC has been highly regarded by many of you.

So my question is, has anyone done this and what was your experience? Furthermore, I know you can state what the minimum crossover grade you want to accept, how close are PSA and SGC in their grading standards?
Thanks.

Old 10-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I am getting ready to ship a large shipment of M116 Sporting Life cards which were slabbed by PSA 5-8 to GAI for crossing over. The main reason is for aesthetics. PSA holders often are found which allow the cards to "float" ad not fit snugly in their holders, plus I prefer the black "backgrounds" that the cards are holdered in and the more consistent grading.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C D

psa has lots of problems but there cards overall command more money regardless. If that is an issue.go with PSA. The holders are not as nice nor black but will get you more money except from leon and that is a fact.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B. Hodes

If you want asethetic appeal I like the SGC-GA holders more. Most of the vocal Board "members" favor SGC. It is smaller than PSA and much more customer friendly to Vintage collectors

Conversesly, if resale (on Ebay for eg) is on your mind, I agree with BcD. Sell them in the less attractive PSA holders.

From my experience, the cross-over manuever doesn't seem to work to improve grades because the companies are wont to admit that they grade much easier than one another. Also, grading in general (as to PSA and SGC) has gotten more strict over time so older grades are usually more charitable than new ones.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

It doesn't seem to matter whether you are one of the "good old boys" or not, the grades are fair and logical. I don't think it matters if you send in 10 cards or 10,000, the grades are consistent and impartially made. I can't say the same about the Big 2. I agree with Brian that when it comes to selling slabbed cards, PSA still rules but SGC is closing the gap somewhat and GAI is making real advances.
As always, buy the card, not the holder.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

edited

Old 10-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

with MW's analysis. I had no feel for SCD until his comments, and, frankly, I'd like to see how their cards sell before I send them my "babies".

I disagree on the point made elsewhere about cross-overs not grading as well because the companies don't like to "admit" that they have lax standards vis a vis the others. That may be true of PSA (I've never sent them anything to cross over from, so I don't know), but it is emphatically not true of SGC. I have had several PSA 7 cards that I considered to be 7-8 'tweeners regraded SGC 86 and even 88, and have only had a handfull of PSA slabs ever rejected by SGC as overgraded (I normally request that they not cross-over the cards unless they receive at least the same grade). My feeling is that SGC has grading standards most closely attuned to mine, which I feel are strict, realistic, and in line with generally accepted standards in the Hobby. I can look at a card and with a small margin of error (about 10% over hundreds of iterations) accurately predict SGC's grade. PSA always surprised me with at least a few "bizarro" grades per order, and that was before their regime change, which I perceive has caused their work product to slip.

GAI I have dealt with only on a limited basis. I felt they were ok; good customer service. Their holders have one feature I really like, which is the index information printed at the top. Makes sorting a lot more convenient. I don't avoid GAI holdered cards; I also don't go after them or pay a premium for them. I have noted that GAI has acquired a solid foothold in smoky SoCal, though, because of their heavy show schedule where they grade on site and pregrade, and they offer deals with sufficient agressiveness that several dealers I've worked with on a long term basis are sending all of their stuff to GAI.