NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2003, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Default From the dark, slimy depths of Gallipolis, Ohio

Posted By: An Honest Collector

User ID: eagle8016
Name: Tracy O Hayes
Company:
City: Gallipolis
State: OH
Phone:

To avoid possible reprecussions certain parts of this message have been edited by the poster. Just what everyone has suspected all along...

Ohiotarheelfan is Eagle8016.

The disease which has infected Yahoo Auctions has also cast it's dark shadow over the unsuspecting bidders and collectors on ebay.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of scammers?

The Network 54 VBBC Forum knows...

Old 08-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Seaborn

The Eagle has now racked up over $63,000 in sales over the last two weeks. I just can't believe it. I don't know what sickens me more; that the Eagle has no conscience, or that so many people can spend so much money without having a clue.

Dave Seaborn (oldorioles@aol.com)

Old 08-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

..a percentage of those were actually shill bids. I'm not sure what the rules are for private auctions, But I imagine that if only the seller can see who bids then that ridiculous ebay feature is a ripe candidate for shill bidding. That being said, even if only one bidder was ripped off for a nickel, that's still one victim too many. Hopefully the law will catch up with this clown and after a few years behind bars, maybe eagle8016 can change his or her userid to "Bunkmuffin"

Old 08-12-2003, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

can you sell me some E-cards?

Cardknowledge@earthlink.net

Old 08-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Eagle is still flying despite a torrent of angry and informative emails to eBay. Ebay continues to state they are merely a conduit and not a responsible party to any contractual sitaution between parties. It is all a sham. I hope someone sues their shorts off.
I received an acknowledgment from the FBI and they have turned it over to their appropriate agency for investigation.
Oh please, please sell one of those replicards to someone from my state (see post Eagle in Big Trouble). I would buy one but Eagle apparently reads this board(someone must have tipped him/her off) and I am banned from participating in his/her "auctions," as are others here who voiced their displeasure.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

here is a link to file a fraud complaint with the fbi. i suggest we all do so and maybe they will listen since ebay will not

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/strategy/howtofile.asp

Old 08-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

I urge anyone who has 10 minutes to give to report this creep.

Thanks for the link!

Greg

Old 08-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Pritchard

It only took 7 minutes. Others should file as well.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brooks

IT OBVIOUSLY DOES NO GOOD TO FILE REPEATED COMPLAINTS AGAINST EAGLE8016 AS I HAVE SUBMITTERD AT LEAST SIX IN THE LAST THREE WEEKS WITHOUT EVEN THE COURTTESY OF THE BLANKET ANSWER OF "THANK YOU. SOMEONE WILL CONTACT YOU IN 12 TO 36 HOURS YOUR REPORT IS TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY US" YEAH RIGHT LIKE SO MUCH B.S....................THEY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AND CHOOSE TO IGNORE IT AS LONG AS THEY ARE MAKING MONEY FROM HIM, NOT THINKING THAT THEY ARTE RUINING THIER OWN REPUTATION IN THE LONG RUN. MY ONLY HOPE IS THAT SOMEONE SUES THIS GUY THROUGH THER ATTORNEY GENERAL IN OHIO AND IMPLICATES EBAY FOR THIER COMPLICITY IN THIS MATTER..........REGARDS BROOKS

Old 08-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Brooks,

This report that we are referring to is in connection with the FBI and internet fraud, not with ebay. Ebay has made it very clear that feel they have no responsibility.

Greg

Old 08-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Two years ago we had trouble with a hacker looking for a job - yah we were going to hire him. I reported it to bellsouth who did nothing and to the FBI - they had an agent in our office within a week - she looked like Jodie Foster and shook hands like Arnold. They had a vice grip in the guy in a week and that was while our Uncle Bill was still in office.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Administrator

interesting article

http://www.e-gateway.net/infoarea/news/news.cfm?nid=1154

Old 08-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

From that article it sounds like ebay isn't to concerned unless the courts or some agency gets involved. That is a sad state of affairs, you know you are doing something wrong and are told by people in the know but until the authorities do something you keep doing the wrong thing.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: GlenV

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/6872.html

Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Administrator

I think that a class action suit against EBay in which the Eagle's clients were Plaintiffs would be markedly different. In that case, there would be witnesses (us)who would testify that they had contacted eBay about the fraud during the course of the action and eBay took no affirmative action to properly investigate and stop the auctions. There would be proof that individuals provided eBay with uncontroverted proof that the items being sold were actually counterfeit items whose images were lifted from a web site provided by the Library of Congress and the seller did not own the items he was selling/or he replicated images of the original item and provided false copies to further the scam.
eBay's prior knowledge would make this the perfect test case.

Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Maybe someone need to get ahold of Mr. Krause if that is possible, and inform him of the current situation.

Old 08-13-2003, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Even that $100 million lawsuit meant little to ebay. Ebays current market capitalization is $32 billion. It would be far more effective to get some publicity for ebay's lack of oversight and the fraud that results. If ebays stock was to take a one point hit because of such negative publicity it would cost the company about $300 million. My guess is that such a story, if presented correctly, would knock the stock down alot more than one point.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Here's a scary quote from the ruling:

However, the court found that the allegation that eBay included the category "Sports: Autographs" as a choice was "insufficient to impose an obligation on defendant eBay to furnish a COA."

Old 08-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Is to go after the Eagles in the arena of criminal justice instead of civil. As I mentioned earlier, a seller on eBay who knowingly sold counterfeit or bogus items on eBay was sentenced to the Arkansas Department of Corrections by a Northwest Arkansas judge. Until we put these guys behind bars and the word gets out to deter others from doing this, all the complaints in the world to eBay will mean little.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Administrator

i think that there is significant hipocracy in many of ebays policies. first, they offer a service that will authentic signitures, if it is found to be fake ebay will pull the auction. then knowing that the seller is already selling one fake will not investigate the other 50 autograph auctions that the seller has and pull those for being fake thereby allowing unsuspecting bidders to be ripped off because the do not pay the 8 dollars to have the auction investigatged by psadna. also, ebay has yet to offer such a service for baseball cards most likely because there has not been a large class action suit that has had the publics attention like that which was generated from operation bullpen. also, ebay will investigate and throw off any user that in any way infringes on their ability to generate fees, all the while continuing to ignore multiple complaints regarding fraud. what needs to be done here is for us to gather our collective contacts and have either someone from psa or sgc, since they are both stategic parterns of ebay, and have them contact ebay about an item then being fake. i am a biochemist, not a lawyer, but it would seem at that point that they would be on the hook for some sort of class action lawsuit and could not plead ignorance as they often do. as much as the scammers are to blame so is ebay for ignoring the problem, at the very least they have a moral responsiblity to their users to take a modicum and responable effort to ensure that they are not being ripped off

Old 08-14-2003, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The best thing eBay could is on their front page, in bog bold letters, state "Everything listed on our site is assumed to be of dubious origin and authenticity unless you feel otherwise about the item."

But I doubt that will ever happen. But it sure would save them a lot of legal hassels

Jay

Old 08-14-2003, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I sent a note to Ohiotarheelsfan last month and got a response from someone named "Angela Dawn McGuire"

>To: angeladawnmcguire@hotmail.com
>Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2740414386
>Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:06:59 PDT
>
>Title of item: 1912 T202Triple Fold Christy Mathewson Hassan
>Seller: ohiotarheelfan
>Starts: Jul-05-03 04:05:34 PDT
>Ends: Jul-08-03 04:05:34 PDT
>Price: Currently $153.75
>To view the item, go to:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2740414386

Old 08-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Perhaps the city of Gallipolis itself would be interested in this?

Gallia County Chamber of Commerce
Lorie Neal
Executive Director
PO Box 465
Gallipolis OH 45631-0465
(740) 446-0596
(740) 446-7031
lneal@galliacounty.org
www.galliacounty.org

Old 08-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Administrator

and ebay realizes that this seller is the antichrist, I think ebay should send a big fat apology out to people like Jon Canfield. As some of you may remember, Jon had an auction on ebay for an Anson sig that ebay scrutinized for possibly being unauthentic, when honestly, there was no real good reason for them to do so. It's interesting to me how ebay can hold the light of suspiscion (sic) over someone for no particular reason and then sit back and watch the "wench from Gallipolis" either fraud others or shill bid to the tune of 70k. In the short time I have frequented this forum there has been one complaint after another regarding eBay and their policies and when you get right down to it eagle8016 isn't the problem, EBAY is the problem. I mean seriously, ebay doesn't even listen to their power sellers, the backbone of their online business! The question really is: Are we all going to just sit back and take it because the possibility of missing that one auction or that one sale is that important or can we do something to change the way ebay does business and make ebay a truly fair,fun and safe playing ground for everybody? I like ebay and I think that a site like theirs has given the hobby a lot of exposure and a lot of finds, but I also think that ebay is allowing to many things to happen that are going to irreparably damage the hobby. A boycott is a good idea and media exposure would be absolutely essential. If profits are the only language that ebay understands and if refusing to buy or sell for a time is the only way to get them to listen, then maybe we should do it.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:57 AM
Administrator

If ebay truly stayed completely out of everything, and simply provided a "no rules" internet flea market, as they calim whenever we complain about people like Eagle8016, then that would be one thing.

But, instead, they present the illusion that they are actually policing things by authenticating autographs, creating complex rules, protection stuff, etc. This provides a false sense of "security" for bidders, which is exactly what Eagle8016, Bellyfly, etc., depend on.

Keep in mind - it's all about money. Ebay has absolutely no scruples and will do whatever it takes to make a buck, until someone puts their foot down in a way that damages them financially.

Old 08-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

In case you haven't seen, Eagle has now made her feedback private. She was hit with at least two more negatives before she did so.

By the way, Gallipolis, Ohio and Mason County, WV (bellyfly69's location) are directly across the Ohio River from each other. Which license plate would you prefer to stamp out?

Old 08-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Administrator

and sorry to hear that you've been ousted from the prestigious ranks of the ebay powersellers. What in the world will you do now?

To the Anonymous poster:

Thanks for the update on Eaglecrap8016. I'm not surprised in the least that this con now has private feedback, she's done it before with the ohiotarheelfan handle. The fact that a seller can even have a "private" feedback profile on ebay makes the whole feedback program b******t anyway. Here's an easy to read index of this criminal's ebay userid's:

Eagle8016

Bellyfly69

Ohiotarheelfan with previous userid's on this account being "thunderherdkid" and "alisonmcguire" (Yes Scott, the same Alison Mcguire!)

My guess is that it won't be long before she pops up with another new alias or moves on to YahooAuctions for a while till the heat on ebay dies down.

Old 08-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 18colt

I just looked up her feedback. Not private. Some notes:

Someone named "who21who" left a positive feedback reading ". . . Don't judge a card by looking at it on your computer. . . ." Odd, isn't it?

2 negative feedbacks were left Wednesday by "cardgururu" basically exposing the seller as a fraud. Comments included "Same user as OhioTarHeelFan and Bellyfast69 - Fraud! We need to get this SOB!" and "Get every card checked - Tracy is selling fakes! The ink is still wet! What a joke".

2 negative feedbacks were left by shushineby on the 5th of August. After some e-mails with this buyer, I learned that these cards were a 54 Bowman Mantle and a 38 Goudey DiMaggio (his words). This buyer had previously reported Eagle to eBay, but finally bid just to leave a negative (like others have).

I just came across Eagle8016's items by accident while shopping for T-206 cards. I saw a Cobb and Johnson that looked obviously fake, and I e-mailed Eagle, explaining the problems with the cards, and I mentioned getting them professionally graded so that her profits could greatly increase. After no response, the auctions ended, and then I noticed the other items (the aforementioned thousands of dollars of cards). I had a "live chat" with someone at eBay and reported the frauds. Here's a transcript (I'm "Mike"; "Kendrell" is the eBay rep):

********transcript here*************

Mike: While looking for items to bid on, I came across a seller that was selling an item as authentic that was not. I sent the seller an e-mail explaining why his items were not authentic, and further explained that if his items were indeed "real", there was a simple way to have his item authenticated, resulting in triple the profits for him/her. I received no response from the seller. I then looked at the completed items, and noticed what appears to be thousands of dollars of fraudulent items being sold. What can I do about this? People like this seller ruin the hobby I love.
Kendrell: Why don't you provide that User ID of that person to me, so that I can have that account reviewed, and appropriate action taken, Mike.
Mike: Eagle8016. The seller does sell less expensive, legitimate items, apparently to boost the positive feedback. The seller has recent negative feedback (I've been in contact with that person), and a lot of these auctions are "private", which in my hobby, raises a lot of red flags.
Kendrell: I am going to have that account reviewed, Mike. What was the specific item that he claimed was authentic, that you believed was not?
Mike: Anything else I can do? I'd love to help stop people like this. If it's an honest mistake, fine (that's why I tried to provide information to help the seller authenticate his items). But that's virtually impossible here. We're talking about baseball cards. All of these cards he alleges he received from his "grandfather". Fine, but they're all high end, hard to find cards.
Kendrell: I do not believe there is anything else that you can do. We do have a department that does investigate these types of listings. That is who I am going to have review this.
Mike: Specific items? One second. Looking up item numbers . . . .
Kendrell: That will not be necessary, Mike.
Kendrell: Now that you have provided me with the User ID, I will go ahead and have the account reviewed from here.
Kendrell: Is there anything else I may assist you with?
Mike: Since I have them . . . . Item # 2745641168 caught my eye first. Then Item # 2746383686 confirmed my thoughts. The type of card involved in these 2 auctions I am experienced with as a collector. As for anything else, that's it. Is there any chance that I can find out what becomes of this?
Kendrell: I cannot release any specific details of our internal investigation, due to privacy and security reasons. I can tell you that we take this type of activity very seriously, and work to prevent it. We also supply pertinent information to various branches of law enforcement to aide in their pursuit of these individuals, if by chance they are fraudulent in nature.
Mike: Is there any chance that I will be contacted to provide any information? By the way, I'm pretty sure that eBay user shushineby can provide more info.
Kendrell: I am not sure if you would be contacted, to be honest. This type of investigation is outside of my area of expertise. I do show that eBay user was the one who left the negative feedbacks on the account in question.
Mike: In the future, if I come across more sellers like this one, how should I report it?
Kendrell: You may use our webform to report auctions or sellers you believe to be suspicious. Here is the link for that webform:
Kendrell: http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html?cs_direct=true

*********end of transcript*******

Before all of you respond, I know about eBay's past ineffectiveness. You all know about Eagle's habits. Just sharing my personal experience with reporting this seller to eBay. This is my first contribution to this board, which I recently learned of. My main collecting interests are T-206 and recently, E-96 (low grades for both areas - can't afford the "nice" stuff, and I'm a collector, not an investor). My name (18colt) is my eBay handle, too. Maybe some of you have transacted with me in the past.

Old 08-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Administrator

although I am not holding my breath that eBay will ever do anything. The best we can hope for is that the buyers of this crap send their money quickly, are extremely disappointed and leave negative feedback and contact eBay raising hell.

Old 08-17-2003, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the board 18colt, what day did you have this live chat? If they are investigating it shouldn't take more than a day if they are actually doing anything since there are so many complaints against eagle. Like Bob said don't hold your breathe.

Old 08-17-2003, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Just minutes ago, Eagle8016 has been NARU'd. Now the only question is under what name will this person pop up under next?

Old 08-17-2003, 03:11 AM
Administrator

This came in from eBay at 1:45 AM. Wonder how many people have sent their money already. Better late than never.

We are writing to inform you that we recently ended all listings for seller eagle8016 on eBay. The seller’s privileges to trade on eBay have been temporarily suspended while we investigate this matter further. (The current account status can be viewed next to the user ID of the seller on the eBay site.).

Our records indicate that you were a participating bidder or buyer in this seller’s listing. You will need to use your own personal judgment in deciding whether to complete this transaction.

As described in our User Agreement, eBay is only a venue, and we cannot guarantee that sellers will complete transactions nor can we guarantee the delivery or quality of bought items. As a basic principle, a buyer should know with whom he or she is dealing before sending a payment to a seller.

Depending on the circumstances, you might decide to delay payment to a seller until completely confident that the transaction will be completed safely.. If you decide to delay payment but already paid by personal check, you may wish to contact your bank to discuss whether it would be possible to stop payment on the check. If you paid with a credit card, you may wish to contact your credit card company’s security department to discuss this payment – many companies provide protection in certain circumstances. If you paid by money order, you may want to contact
that money order company for information on how to stop payment.

Please note that the ending of the listings for this seller is a precautionary measure. The grounds for this suspension may be the result of a mistake or misunderstanding.

Some countries have laws that might prevent you from retracting payment by check or otherwise; please inform yourself of applicable laws before acting.

eBay Customer Support