NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Jason Wright

Default 1905/6 Eddie Collins Pre Rookie Columbia Team Imperial Cabinet

Hi Guys, just had this piece delivered and could not contain my excitement after doing a little research this morning. When I purchased it, the scans were fuzzy and I could not be sure Collins was featured until it arrived.

It is an imperial cabinet featuring the 1905/6 Columbia University football team featuring their stand-out starting quarterback Eddie Collins (top row, third from right) just before he embarked on his HOF baseball career. Given that there are not many early images of Collins known, I thought you guys might like to see young “Cocky” before his 25 years of service wore him down.

In addition to picturing baseballs all-time greatest 2nd baseman, the cabinet is interesting on another level. Columbia’s 1905/6 season also played a major part in football’s reform, helping make it the sport it is today.

In 1905, President Roosevelt, a keen football fan dating back to his time as a tough tackler for the 1880 Columbia team, called a meeting with college officials at the Whitehouse to try and curb unsportsmanlike behavior in football. The president had become increasingly concerned over the number of severe injuries and a spate of deaths attributed to the full blooded sport over the previous few years.

Roosevelt’s’ ultimatum was to either clean up the sport or ban it. In 1906 Columbia University was one of a handful who chose the latter and cancelled its football program making this the last image of a Columbia football team for some years to come.

It turns out in fact that football across the entire country came within 2 association votes of being eradicated (Yale lead the contingent in support of the continuation of football as a sport while Columbia lead the eradication campaign). Fortunately though, rather than being permanently banned, the reform movement won-out which ultimately lead to the formation of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img938.jpg (79.1 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg img946.jpg (45.5 KB, 322 views)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Very nice...I'm kinda chuckling a little about the guy in the upper left corner though...Is that picture attached to the team photo?

Last edited by novakjr; 01-06-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
K3v1n Stru55

I knew that Collins played for Columbia, but I would have never been able to identify him in that photo.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 11-30-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Jason Wright

Default After Thought

Yeah, it is attached to the cabinet photo. They guy must also have been a player and was probably away when the rest of the team were snapped. As an after thought, he was tagged on later. Either that or he was a disgruntled waterboy who felt he belonged!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

That's still an awesome photo...Attachment or not...I think the attachment's kinda cool, it would be neat to figure who it is. Guessing from the suit and his apparent age, I'm wondering if maybe he were the school president. Maybe it was his copy of the photo? It's a reasonable explanation for the attachment. Or it may have been attached to all photos. If so, how many remaining have the attachment? A lot of fun research to be had with that photo. Great find.

A little research probably shows why Columbia was one of the schools who cancelled the game, and why Yale wanted to lead the reform....Yale beat Columbia 53-0 in 1905.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-06-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

A little research also leads me to believe that the attached photo is definitely not the president of Columbia, since in every photo of Nicholas Murray Butler I could find he had a mustache.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Jeff

It sure was a short trip from semi-handsome to homely for Eddie I must say.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
R Dixon

Default .

Very cool....congratulations.