NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-01-2024, 02:36 PM
Mark

Default Another theaory on why High Number series are rare

The usual explanation is production was lower since orders were down from stores that still had earlier series cards. Kids going back to school, football season coming yada, yada, yada

But thumbing through my binders one thing jumped out at me. It seems like all the superstar cards are in the lower series groups. They front loaded them to get kids interest right off the bat.

That could mean that kids already got the cards of the players they wanted so they had no interest in buying more packs just to get journeymen they never heard of, managers and rookies (Remember, few people cared about rookie cards back then). How often did a player - who was a superstar at the time - appear in a sixth or seventh series?

So it may very well have been a self-fulfilling prophesy by Topps to grab all the cash early and then move on from there.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:54 PM

that’s a good one, I’m working on 61 Topps now but I’m always pissed spending 20-30 for a nobody common card lol
Old 02-01-2024, 03:09 PM

Well, with the exception of 1952, Mantle was never in high series I don't think. And just off the top of my head, neither were Mays, Koufax, Aaron....
Old 02-01-2024, 05:08 PM

How about the All Star cards in 60 and 61? Those should have been in demand after the seasons the M&M boys had? But when were the released? If it was after school started or after the World Series then the reduced demand makes sense to me.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:30 PM
Phil

Some years of high numbers are easier to find than others, but like amny other sets finding them centered can be frustrating. For example, I am assembling complete Topps sets for 1968 and 1969 and I have no problems finding high numbers for those years. I am also putting a 1967 Topps Baseball "set" together for numbers 1-533 because some of the numbers in that series are harder and more expensive to obtain; the same goes for the 1966 issue as well.

For those of us who complete sets that include high numbers, let's share which card series that include high numbers are easier or more difficult to complete.

Where I grew up in southeastern Los Angeles County we weren't aware of high numbers. I started collecting with greater frequency beginning in 1970 and the corner liquor store began carrying football around September where we made that switch and basketball followed around November. In 1974, that liquor store put out a box of high number packs from 1970 which we purchased, but we didn't have any knowledge of them being harder to get than others.

Phil aka Tere1071

Currently assembling lower grade Topps Baseball sets from 1967-1969

Last edited by Tere1071; 02-01-2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:39 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Maybe

Right off the bat I think of Brooks Robinson 1967 Topps and of course the Seaver rookie ( but that would have been speculative).
Old 02-01-2024, 09:10 PM
TJ D3H@rsl°

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
Well, with the exception of 1952, Mantle was never in high series I don't think. And just off the top of my head, neither were Mays, Koufax, Aaron....
Only 1 other high Mantle base card I can think of is his 1969 5th series . It was 500 in the 664-card set. 7 total series in that set. Most stars ended up in higher series near / at end of their careers. E.g. Clemente

Last edited by tjisonline; 02-01-2024 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:49 AM

Default High series 1960 to 1969

Certainly, in the early 60s, the high series' have more speculative cards (rookie stars, etc) but they do have all-star and MVP cards, which obviously display some superstars. And, by the 70s, some of the interest in the previous decade's superstars (Mays, Aaron, Gibson, Banks, Rose, Yaz) might have been fading (from a consumer interest standpoint) and turning to players like Bench, Munson, Garvey, Reggie Jax, etc. Certainly, as 1970 cards illustrate, the semi high and high series cards, can be populated with both fading stars and up and coming stars.

Moreover, from what I can tell by looking at ads in baseball magazines, many times these series were available in June or July from major card distributors.
So, my opinion is that Topps simply printed smaller quantities of these series, anticipating lower demand from retailers and consumers in mid-to-late summer.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:14 AM
Todd Schultz

I can't agree with the OP's premise. Frankly, it would almost seem a better strategy for Topps to hold back on a few of the superstars until the end just so kids would continue the chase. Also, set and team collectors, which I believe far outnumbered those who just wanted star players, would trudge on regardless.

FWIW, McCovey was frequently in the high-numbered or next to high numbered series.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 02-02-2024 at 07:27 AM.