NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 11-13-2020, 01:15 PM
J0hn H@rper

Default 1986 Fleer Basketball stickers and their wax

Since the '86 Fleer bk stickers always have some wax on the back, my question is: at what point does PSA add the "ST" qualifier, and do they lower a sticker's grade if there's just the usual minor amount of wax that you can feel (or is that considered a standard flaw in one?)

Does anyone have some experience in differentiating this? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2020, 03:41 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Since the '86 Fleer bk stickers always have some wax on the back, my question is: at what point does PSA add the "ST" qualifier, and do they lower a sticker's grade if there's just the usual minor amount of wax that you can feel (or is that considered a standard flaw in one?)

Does anyone have some experience in differentiating this? Thanks!
You should be able to see it when you tip it in the light. Buy a pair of nylons and get it off. If the wax is on the card, it WILL get the qualifier.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:13 AM

Hi John and others,

I have too many 86-89 fleer stickers w/ the dreaded ST, including an 86 MJ 9ST....

Submitted them in the late 90's before the internet was invented. I could have learned about buffing off the wax which I would argue makes it more authentic

I'm actually surprised PSA don't offer a service to crack it out and re-holder so they can get even more $$$ out of collectors.

Happy 2021!
Old 01-04-2021, 11:31 PM
J0hn H@rper

I just tried a nylon on one of them, and it wasn't getting the job done. Had to kinda dig a little to make much progress (which in turn left scratch marks on it).

Disappointing, cause I have 10 of them (all but Jordan) raw and hoped to get them clear.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:26 PM
Robert Williams

The nylon shouldn't scratch at all...where is the stain...on the back or the front??? The nylon works wherever you see gloss. If the area is not glossy, IT WILL NOT WORK. For '86 fleer, usually the wax stain is on the front, which is A-OK!
Old 01-05-2021, 01:22 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Bobby is right wax on front should be removable but don’t dig your fingernail into the nylon. If the stains are on the back you are stuck. Still a great market for the cards either way and you can always use the cash to upgrade.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:44 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The nylon shouldn't scratch at all...where is the stain...on the back or the front??? The nylon works wherever you see gloss. If the area is not glossy, IT WILL NOT WORK. For '86 fleer, usually the wax stain is on the front, which is A-OK!
But with the '86 stickers, the wax is on the back. So I'm stuck. Experimented with mighty Alex English, so the damage caused is minimal.

Thanks again for the help though guys!
Old 01-05-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
But with the '86 stickers, the wax is on the back. So I'm stuck. Experimented with mighty Alex English, so the damage caused is minimal.

Thanks again for the help though guys!
I heard it was easy (according to folks on the net). I was going to resubmit my 9ST but need to practice on Isiah and the 88's I have.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:52 AM
Jason B.

Used Dryer Sheet. Tip years ago from an old-time Dealer here in Ohio.

Works on fronts of all standard cards, and just as well on the backs of 86F Stickers.

Key is to use the pad of your index finger, with firm pressure in circular motion. Be patient. And NEVER the fingernail -- yikes!

100% success so far with TPG on 12-15 '86F Stickers, as well as countless other cards.
|
|
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:44 AM

Jason, thanks for the tip. Will try it out eventually as soon as PSA turns things around within a year...