NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I'm confident the service will be top notch.

I'm looking forward to what the actual case and flip will look like.

The jumbo slab and jumbo grade are big detractors.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:23 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Seems like the flip is a non-trivial part of the encapsulation. Given that, it might be a good idea if CSG (or any of the other TPGs) would host a design contest for flips. You announce a contest with a $$ prize for the winner and make the statement that all submissions become the property of the company. You could have a public vote or whittle down the submissions in-house. There are lots of very, very talented graphic artists out there and I'm sure that any number of them could do a better job than what I've seen from any of the TPGs.

Just a thought.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 09-22-2020, 02:13 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I'm going to say based on this comment by Leon they have hired at least one sports person (if not more)

"I don't want to be the one to say who the new hire is but I am supportive. It will be out soon I am sure."

Regards
Rich
I just heard from the new hire Leon mentioned and I agree, perhaps for the first time (Hi Leon! that's a joke son), about his opinion on the new hire.

Rich
Old 09-27-2020, 02:19 PM
John De Bord

Default Nice! I am curious about cost

Being on a budget I am naturally curious about the cost. I imagine you probably can't give details on that.

I prefer the look of SGC slabs due to the blackout and how it makes cards looks (color theory is a beautiful thing after all!) I really feel there should be a lot more good grading companies though and considering the wait times we've seen especially with PSA, it certainly warrants it now more than ever since the hobby is growing at such a fast rate. I'll be honest, their labels bother me but if they're accurate and at a price point which competes with SGC (I can dream they'd be lower) I'm all about it!

Thank you for sharing your experience.
---John
Old 09-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Chase

Isn't the parent co, CCG, the folks who owned or ran SGC at one point? Could have sworn their scale logo was associated with SGC's site and holders. If so then this one could be promising. Keeping my fingers crossed for a solid grading staff.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Rich Klein

BTW -- the hire Leon and myself referred to during this thread is now official. From Sports Collectors Daily Today Notes:

"Andy Broome, the senior vintage card grader at Beckett since 2004, has left for a similar role at Certified Sports Guaranty, which has been adding staff in recent months in preparation for its upcoming launch."

Regards
Rich
Old 10-19-2020, 10:00 AM
Justin Burleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
BTW -- the hire Leon and myself referred to during this thread is now official. From Sports Collectors Daily Today Notes:

"Andy Broome, the senior vintage card grader at Beckett since 2004, has left for a similar role at Certified Sports Guaranty, which has been adding staff in recent months in preparation for its upcoming launch."

Regards

Rich
Good news, for sure.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2020, 07:14 AM
D@n.M@tsing3r

I think storing an image of the graded card and the grader notes will be huge. The image helps ease any slab popping/swapping and the notes helps with transparency. I've collected CGC comics and always appreciated having grader notes as to why the comics received the grade it did vs cards just seeing a grade with at most for BGS seeing a four criteria break down on modern. Also, for the comics they charge for grader's notes where here it looks like they will be free and public which also will help with web-based sales with not getting stuck with some undisclosed/seen flaw.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:44 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Delete....nevermind.

Last edited by whitehse; 11-29-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:57 AM
Pete D.

I have about 700 slabbed PSA - PSA/DNA & BGS - BAS CARDS.
I was set up at early Dec. show / Tampa, & they had table at entrance to get peeps info. on them.
At least 50% of people told them they didn't like slab & label design..
Oh..oh..its being changed !

No.. it hasn't.
THAT tells me plenty.

Last edited by Picklepete; 02-17-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Made my first submission today; we will see...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-17-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepete View Post
I have about 700 slabbed PSA - PSA/DNA & BGS - BAS CARDS.
I was set up at early Dec. show / Tampa, & they had table at entrance to get peeps info. on them.
At least 50% of people told them they didn't like slab & label design..
Oh..oh..its being changed !

No.. it hasn't.
THAT tells me plenty.
I clicked the link and yeah...not good.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:25 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

All cards in slabs look like SGC slabs if you have a black table.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:30 PM
Jack Richards

CSG, SGC... only a typo away!
Old 02-17-2021, 02:06 PM

I love how the two “EXPERTS” they hired to manage the vintage and modern, in the promo video, Broome wasn’t wearing gloves, getting oil and grease on the borders, and Weston was handling a “chrome” card and had his thumb planted right on the face, leaving his thumb print on it.

I know Leon gave his approval to Broome, but IMO, an “expert grader” doesn’t touch a vintage cards without gloves.

Last edited by Pre War Starter; 02-17-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:31 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

We are just a tiny percent of the people who have cards graded. It will take many years before a grading company can compete with the established group. I wish them good luck in the long haul.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Any way to never wait for 4 months after paying through the nose with PSA will be welcome.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
We are just a tiny percent of the people who have cards graded. It will take many years before a grading company can compete with the established group. I wish them good luck in the long haul.
I disagree completely. IF the new group does a good job they will take a lot of market share from the current opinionators.....who have NO guarantees whatsoever. (except to give your grading fees back when they are incompetent)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:21 PM
Justin

I only see standard sized cards pictured on their website.
Does anyone know if the same size holder is used for t206 and similar sized cards or if they have multiple sizes?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2021, 04:52 PM
octavio ranzola

Im going to give them a try love this
Old 02-17-2021, 05:10 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I clicked the link and yeah...not good.
I went to their site and ... yeah. The slabs look like the slabs you see on Ebay from somebody grading in their basement. Not good.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:04 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I went to their site and ... yeah. The slabs look like the slabs you see on Ebay from somebody grading in their basement. Not good.
I wonder if the many complaining about the look of CSG's slab would be doing so if they were around before PSA and SGC. In my opinion so many have just grown accustom to what they're used to.

We continue to see the countless threads complaining about PSA and SGC's rising cost of grading fee's, long wait times increasing more by the day and a plethora of tampered cards getting into their slabs yet we bitch about a new comers slab.

I swear some of the things I hear collectors complain about absolutely blows my mind. I truly hope that CSG takes the market by storm and puts huge amounts of pressure on the others to improve their business or potentially lose it. We all deserve better than what we're currently getting. A slab design should be low on the list of expectations from third party authentication if even mentioned at all.

My two cents! Carry on...............
Old 02-17-2021, 06:21 PM
Travis Bid.ner

Need a grading company that sticks to vintage. Leave all that new shiny stuff and Pokémon cards for others. A company needs to be able to service their customers in a timely manner. The current waiting time for PSA is ridiculous!

Also would like to add a few AMERICAN BEAUTIES
350 frame,no frame and/or 460
Old 02-17-2021, 06:23 PM
Howard Chasser

Default and mine...

Competency SHOULD matter
Resale value matters (to many)
looks matter
cost/wait times matter

I am hopeful with Nat Turner and Steve Cohen taking over PSA that we will see some desperately needed change happen there.
I agree the CSG holder looks horrible (and it matters). For those who choose to give them a shot, keeping an open mind to see how they do in the other areas.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:25 PM
Justin

I wish they graded oversized cards..
I had 4 cards I've been holding off on submitting due to wait times but 2 are t201 and a 36 goudey premium

Old 02-17-2021, 06:55 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
I wish they graded oversized cards..
I had 4 cards I've been holding off on submitting due to wait times but 2 are t201 and a 36 goudey premium

I'd say that is something they'll need to address quickly if they want to compete in the vintage arena. So many tallboy slabs in my, and many others collections. Postcards, Exhibits, T201, T202, T3, Goudey Premiums, R312, R315 etc.... countless pre war issues are "oversized" by todays standards. There weren't any standard sizes back then. Can't ignore and not slab a very large percentage of pre war card issues and expect to be relevant with those collectors. I understand they're new to the game and very well may be working on multiple bigger sized holders right now? We shall see. I'm not rendering any judgements and hope they do well and hope the extra competition can up all companies standards.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 02-17-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:07 PM
Ch@d

I am totally ready for a new grading company, but... I must agree that looks do matter, and the label is just way too busy for my tastes. Imagine a faded Old Judge in that holder. The label would dominate it. IMO, it seems designed for modern flashy cards.

If they had a more simplified 'single grade' option with a label maybe 30% shorter in height, I'd start using them to slab my cards tomorrow. I do really like their legible font (take note, SGC). My hope is that, as a new company, they might be able to offer something like that in the future. They can call them 'vintage' or 'classic' holders.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson

Last edited by chadeast; 02-17-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:50 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
A slab design should be low on the list of expectations from third party authentication if even mentioned at all.
Presentation matters. There is an entire industry that focuses on it. Take your favorite family photograph and place it into a cheap frame. Now, take the same photograph to a professional framer and I guarantee the new frame will magnify the photograph’s effect and presentation.

Just like your family photograph, you are more concerned with the card than its slab/frame. However, a nice slab/frame significantly adds to the overall presentation and effect.

I agree that there are more important factors, but presentation, especially for cards that I collect for my PC and plan on looking at until I die, is very important.

This post is not expressing an opinion concerning whether this new company’s slabs, or any other TPG’s slabs for that matter, are or are not aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited by Tyruscobb; 02-17-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Aesthetics are important to pre war collectors. I realize we're not the most important demo to grading companies but having an option for a black apron and a subtle label would have grabbed a lot of market share from that demo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 02-18-2021 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

+3 (to the three posts directly above). These posts all echo my sentiments exactly.

I am sooooo ready to give them a try, but am having trouble getting past that gigantic flip/slab. Especially with regard to my Tobacco and Caramel Cards.

It's the presentation of the actual card that matters.... not the number. Now that they are an advertiser here, I really hope someone from CSG is reading (and subsequently addressing) this!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-17-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Aesthetic preferences are like buttholes: everyone has one. I actually like the holder and flip. And let's be honest here: far more collectors care about the flip than the card inside anyway. Perhaps not in this fine group but certainly among the general body of collectors. Once these cards reach the market and start selling all will be forgiven.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-18-2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I can pretty much assure everyone that CSG reads this forum. Keep the comments coming. I am neutral on the flip as I buy cards. That said, I agree the SGC black inserts really make our cards pop. I will probably never use them again, as I don't like their management ways or recent capabilities, but they do have nice slabs.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:58 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Can’t imagine they will get a hugh market share of vintage cards but should have enough interest from modern collectors, investors and flippers who have a who is hot now mentality. Since a lot of the modern cards are busy and loud they will display much better in those slabs than a T206 or Cracker Jack.

I’m still shocked they don’t include a measured centering option to the flip and add a Perfect 10 grade to their scale. Since most modern cards are mint, one with all around 50/50 centering would receive a gold flip and then let the chase begin.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:34 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I cannot get on board with that slab.
I will buy the card if the price is right, but will have to crack it and send elsewhere for presentation in my collection. I won't send cards in.
but if they get rave reviews from people on this site, I will re-consider.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 02-18-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:41 AM
J0hn Collin$

I will have to get one of these slabs once they start showing up on eBay just out of pure curiosity. I don't love the look of the flip on first impression, but I don't hate it either.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Aesthetic preferences are like buttholes: everyone has one. I actually like the holder and flip. And let's be honest here: far more collectors care about the flip than the card inside anyway. Perhaps not in this fine group but certainly among the general body of collectors. Once these cards reach the market and start selling all will be forgiven.
Adam - I think I like the holder and flip as well.
I'd really like to see them do everything right and honor all sportscard collectors.

Really anxious to see what type of results Leon gets with his vintage submission.
I think turn around time is a very big deal in today's TPG market. The delays have been intolerable for too long and collectors should root for a new player in this space.
I honestly hope it happens for CSG.
RayB
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM
Ch@d

I spent a bit of time playing around with Paint to create a few concepts, please excuse my very limited skills. This is meant only as something to stimulate conversation, and hopefully is taken as such. I am absolutely rooting for the success of CSG. If they are unhappy with my brainstorming using their images, I will remove them.

In my ideal world, the label would be black and white only, but my Paint skills only take me so far.

EDIT to add original below

successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey

Last edited by chadeast; 02-18-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: adding original
Old 02-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre War Starter View Post
I love how the two “EXPERTS” they hired to manage the vintage and modern, in the promo video, Broome wasn’t wearing gloves, getting oil and grease on the borders, and Weston was handling a “chrome” card and had his thumb planted right on the face, leaving his thumb print on it.

I know Leon gave his approval to Broome, but IMO, an “expert grader” doesn’t touch a vintage cards without gloves.
I don't think this is true, as I have seen in print from either PSA or SGC a grading note that tells us as customers that graders need to feel the surface of the card stock to determine key grading factors such as authenticity.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
I spent a bit of time playing around with Paint to create a few concepts, please excuse my very limited skills. This is meant only as something to stimulate conversation, and hopefully is taken as such. I am absolutely rooting for the success of CSG. If they are unhappy with my brainstorming using their images, I will remove them.

In my ideal world, the label would be black and white only, but my Paint skills only take me so far.

EDIT to add original below

The smaller flip definitely looks better!

Can you photoshop what a small T206 or Caramel card would look like encased in their current "mega slab"?
Old 02-18-2021, 02:37 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Can you photoshop what a small T206 or Caramel card would look like encased in their current "mega slab"?
Better yet, can you compare the size of a T206 to the size of the current label?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-18-2021, 02:45 PM
Ch@d

Quote:

That's where I was headed, I was actually thinking of a M101-4 in my mind. RL got in the way but after I finish work I may give it a go. I can't stress enough how much of a novice I am at this, what you see is just painting white, putting in a black box, and cut and paste. If I can successfully put a low grade non-color pre-war card into the image, I think it will really highlight the issue.

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
Old 02-18-2021, 03:34 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
I wonder if the many complaining about the look of CSG's slab would be doing so if they were around before PSA and SGC. In my opinion so many have just grown accustom to what they're used to.
I don't follow the logic here. They're not first. They don't get the benefit of the doubt that comes from being first. They should be improving on what's already available not coming up with "well, it wouldn't be that bad if nobody else had done it before".
Old 02-18-2021, 03:48 PM
Ch@d

Here is my attempt at showing what my WaJo M101-4 would look like in a CSG holder. Again, apologies for my low grade MS Paint skills, all scaling was done by hand. A T206 would obviously be smaller still.

EDIT: added a third with clear/white background

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey

Last edited by chadeast; 02-18-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The second one looks far better to me. Better ratio of card to slab.

I hope also, that they will have slabs that can properly accommodate the size of these smaller cards, without the use of a hideous wrinkled up baggie (PSA style). That is an immediate deal killer for me. I actually display most of my cards, so a clean refined look is far superior to PSA's haphazard tilting cards with baggies.

Thanks for doing the photoshop!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-18-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I tend to pay more for cards I find aesthetically appealing irrespective of their technical grades.
This is Pre War Theology...
*You have to be in the Big Boys Club to know this!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
The second one looks far better to me. Better ratio of card to slab.

I hope also, that they will have slabs that can properly accommodate the size of these smaller cards, without the use of a hideous wrinkled up baggie (PSA style). That is an immediate deal killer for me. I actually display most of my cards, so a clean refined look is far superior to PSA's haphazard tilting cards with baggies.

Thanks for doing the photoshop!
You're welcome. I display my cards too. The holders matter to me, very much. And yes, I have a current preference

EDIT: Note that any slab even an 1/8" taller than an SGC slab will not fit in my display case.

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey

Last edited by chadeast; 02-18-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

You can absolutely root for the success of this new company while also being annoyed by the look and size of the slab.

It's like McDonald's packing their delicious Big Macs in pointed metal cases that look like sea urchins.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I will have to get one of these slabs once they start showing up on eBay just out of pure curiosity. I don't love the look of the flip on first impression, but I don't hate it either.
I would also like to get one when they show up. Want to find a very low serial # to add the slab to my slab collection.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:41 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I’m rooting for any new TPG’s success. Hopefully, a new player will reduce all the other TPG’s wait times, as well as force them to improve their services. Competition is great for us consumers. We can only win.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
You're welcome. I display my cards too. The holders matter to me, very much. And yes, I have a current preference

EDIT: Note that any slab even an 1/8" taller than an SGC slab will not fit in my display case.

Beautiful display.

That's exactly what I meant to convey about clean aesthetics and a slab that emphasizes the card above the slab. Awesome Goudeys and classy looking display!