NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Historic 1935 National Chicle Bronco Nagurski Find

I am happy to help announce a find and subsequent auction of one of the holy grails of football card collecting. Wilson's Auctioneers and Appraisers are auctioning them on Oct. 16, 2013. Details are here...

Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Wow!

Ricky Y
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM
And.rew Whi.te

My jaw has dropped to the floor.

I have been around the hobby for over 40 years and I can say I have not seen more than 5 or 6 of the Bronko cards in my life time and usually they are in pretty sad shape. This is an incredible find that I have no doubt the hobby will absorb with no damage to the value of the Nagurski's.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Ty T.

Wow! Thanks for posting!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Yep, great find and a cool story about the collector. Sounds like he was a great man, and a dedicated collector that didn't focus so much on value, but on the cards and players themselves.

It's funny how the phrase "Only 135 examples graded by PSA" can mean extreme rarity to some. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I'm assuming they'll have all the Nagurskis graded. It will be interesting to see how they all grade out, as well as the final selling prices.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:18 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I'm assuming they'll have all the Nagurskis graded. It will be interesting to see how they all grade out, as well as the final selling prices.
Yeah, I saw this the other day as well. They are all graded now (not sure if they were by the original owner though). I don't think I'm "outing" anything by providing the link I found this on (since you can see as well from going to the their web site).

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sa...s/19017/515532
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Robert S

Default Hmmm... Reprints?

It looks like 3 cards may be reprints in lot 45 of this auction:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...bb-and-speaker

The description lists one reprint (the Walter Johnson card), but don't the 1913 National Game Ty Cobb and 1904 Fan Craze McAleer look like reprints, as well?

Robert S
Old 10-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBall View Post
It looks like 3 cards may be reprints in lot 45 of this auction:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...bb-and-speaker

The description lists one reprint (the Walter Johnson card), but don't the 1913 National Game Ty Cobb and 1904 Fan Craze McAleer look like reprints, as well?

Robert S
I agree Robert. Looks like those three aren't good.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Default ty cobb and fan craze lot are junk

Look like someone is trying to capitalize. Great find and I am surprised the auctioneer has let a few extra lots mix in. It is clear they are fakes. If it is an original find....leave it that way....don't let scumbags try capitalize with the fake lots. They should be withdrawn from the sale. Only will hurt the overall sale. Cheers
Old 10-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Do other grading companies not grade these cards or is that just a mistake in the listing when it says 135 PSA cards = 135 graded cards? I would assume it's a mistake.

I looked it up, there are 38 SGC examples graded.

As someone said above, it is funny what people consider extreme rarity. I collect Old Judge cards, where plenty of cards number ten or less known, not just graded examples
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 PM

z28jd,

I also own some cards where there are less than five known. So I know what you are talking about.

In my opinion, when it comes to cards that are so rare, a lot of collectors hear the low numbers and think they would be so hard to find they consider them non-existent. So, for example, my Star Player Candy cards are so rare but their prices are not that high. Most likely because collectors don't want to go after them because they don't show up very often.

Another example were four common Curtis Ireland Candy cards that just sold in an auction a few days ago for $500 dollars. The breakdowns were as follows: "1 of 3 highest graded, only graded, 1 of 3, highest graded and 1 of 3, one better".

Can you imagine the prices on these if they were common T 206's, 1933 Goudey's or 1952 Topps? However because of their rarity, they didn't go for very much.

With the 1935 Chicle football set, I think they are just hard enough to find to put a set together that when it comes to the Nagurski, 135 graded cards gives people the feeling of rare enough but not impossible to find and thus the prices for these cards should be healthy.

David
Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 PM

Could it be possible that if you told someone there are 180 total graded Nagurski's now, it might drop the price a little because that number is actually pretty high? I'm willing to bet a lot of people didn't know there were that many graded already.

If I was looking for a specific card and you told me there were that many, I might wait for a better deal. I could be wrong, that just seems like a high number and obviously there are plenty out there that aren't graded yet.

The card could be more popular than I think. I don't know many vintage non-baseball collectors so that could skew my thinking.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Rob

When I first saw this auction, my first thought was that McKee must have emailed them to explain that they have J=k cards.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The auctioneer asked me to post a short addendum for them. I am happy to oblige.

"Lots 1-44 and 55-65 cards are part of the Heaney estate; additional cards were consigned by other sellers and are a bit more rough; we didn't expect any reprints. We appreciate the replies that brought this to our attention in the thread. We're sorry if there was any confusion--that press release was highlighting this Heaney Estate"

Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Carl Lamendola

Leon - shouldn't this post be moved to the football forum?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
Leon - shouldn't this post be moved to the football forum?

I will copy it over to that forum. The auction company is paying to advertise on this site and the front page gets the most views. So advertisements like this will always be posted on the main page...but can be copied to other forums too. Thanks for the heads up...