NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-29-2022, 10:14 AM
John T

Default A Fake???? Mantle

Looking for some advice. I bought this card at the National from a dealer. I don't remember the dealer and while I vaguely remember the location of his booth, I couldn't say for certain. Anyway, when I got home I went to add the card to PSA's registry. Came back as a bad certification. Sent an inquiry to PSA and after a month I finally spoke to someone who said it was a bad cert and that there is nothing they can do. For those who buy graded, you do so thinking there is some certainty that you can't get a fugazi or altered card. Who knows, maybe the dealer I bought the card from, didn't know it was a bad cert either. Maybe PSA typed in one number wrong? Or maybe someone out there is really good at creating labels and inputting a card that fits the grade of the 5 it represents, and input an altered card...and put it back in the slab with no evidence of tampering. PSA basically told me to check certs before purchase, but for anyone who attended the National, they know internet service is spotty at best. Any ideas on what you would do next??? Am I just beat? Thank you in advance for any direction you can provide. JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 topps mantle.jpg (142.2 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg 1969 topps mantle b.jpg (148.4 KB, 625 views)
Old 08-29-2022, 10:24 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

So, you are not gonna like this.....but.

You had the ability to do the leg work on that card while you were there at the National before you bought it. You can scan the QR code (I just did just now and it came up with not found in the database) on the back and/or write down the serial number of the card, and then go to the PSA site and look it up.

Yeah the Internet access sucked but for that type of transaction, you could have found a location with more stable connectivity and then looked it up.

With the crap that is going on today with fake flips, you have to be wary on any transaction of a higher priced card. JMHO

Caveat Emptor.

Butch Turner

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 08-29-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:32 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

For future: have you ever tried the PSA phone app? Lets you scan the barcode in 2 seconds. I have found it very helpful
Old 08-29-2022, 10:43 AM
James M

In terms of your actual options now, I would say you really only have 2:

* Crack the card out and submit it to PSA or SGC and have it re-graded. If they made a mistake on their end in the database and the card is real, you'll get it re-graded/re-holdered and it will have a legit serial number (hopefully) and if they somehow screw up again, you'll be able to show them how they did. If it comes back a fake, well, at least you know for sure

* Leave it as is and not know if it is real or not

Here is your scan compared to another one that sold on ebay a few weeks ago. I don't see any real red flags other than the darkness of the black color on the back, but that could just be the way it was scanned. I would just re-submit it for grading and see what happens. It is always possible something nefarious happened here, but my guess is that the serial number was inputted incorrectly in the PSA database.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:13 AM
J0hn Collin$

Card does not look fake in the least to me. The good news is it's probably a typo / transcription error on their end in the database. This kind of thing happens more than you would guess, probably.

The bad news is of course you can't really pass that off as a PSA graded card without a valid cert number. So I would follow the advice of others and get that taken care of. I'm not sure if you would have to bust that to get it regraded. You could send it in and PSA should be able to say "Yes, we made this slab" or "No, this is a fugazi slab and flip." But they may not do that. Even though it is in their slab, since the numbers don't match they might require you to start over. Sorry. Looks like a nice card.

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-29-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:56 AM

Doesn't look fake to me. I hope it isn't. It's scary to think someone would fake a late-year Mantle name in yellow mid-grade.

I guess something uncommon, like a higher grade or name in white would get the buyer's radar up, so maybe that would be the point. You might not look too closely at what looks like a straightforward offering.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:22 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Yeah, card looks fine to me.

Annoying but i guess I would just resubmit.. to SGC, personally.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:36 PM

looks legit and it's centered. crack and re-submit. grading fee is sunk cost and move on.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:32 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Psa

I would start by submitting the card to PSA in the original holder and see if they can regrade/reslab the card. If its their error it may not cost you anything at all. Good luck..... I hope that card is real because I sure cant see anything wrong with it.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:27 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Card

I agree the card looks real and probably a mistake. If you do a quick check going forward and backwards you can sometimes get an indication if the cards all came in with one submission (eg. a run of 1969s in this case). There appears to be a block of about 15-20 cards in a row "not found in database". I'm not sure if they leave empty certs for future use or what purpose skipping numbers would provide; but it's possible it's an inputting error....
If you send it in as a review and the case hasn't been tampered with; they will need to address it (I would think they would just crack/regrade with new cert).
Good luck!! Give us a follow up when you find out. Thanks.
311-407 PSA 6
Old 08-30-2022, 05:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

card looks real to me., i would buy it from someone that had it minus grading costs and shipping and handling etc.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:21 PM
John T

Thank you all for your suggestions and counsel...I will keep you posted
Old 08-30-2022, 06:30 PM
Chris Eberhart

I would be willing to take it off your hands.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:12 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACardsGuy View Post
For future: have you ever tried the PSA phone app? Lets you scan the barcode in 2 seconds. I have found it very helpful
Glad it works for you. I just tried this app for ios and it's horrible. The scan comes up "not found" multiple times, and then will sometimes load 2 or 3 wrong certs before it finally finds your card. I think it's easier just to use the QR code outside of their app to go directly to the PSA website. Some of the older, barcode only slabs would not come up for me in this app at all, but will if you go to the PSA website and enter them manually.

For good measure, I was looking up some SGC certs today too and their site is equally terrible. They did themselves no favors with the various different serial numbering formats they have used over the last 20+ years. The older ones you have to input both that, then the grade and player name, and it takes forever.

The good news is I didn't come up with any true "missing / not in database" slabs in my collection. Whew.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-01-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:17 PM

If you are stuck on a long boring conference call, it might be worth juxtaposing some of the numbers in the PSA search bar to see whether you can find the card. Maybe if they just got two numbers switched, they’d be willing to re-slab it for you for free.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:30 PM
Chris

Did you pay cash or by credit card? I agree with the others that nothing looks suspect about the card. If you paid via credit card, you may be able to check your payment history, identify the seller, and see if they submitted it themselves and have anything that you can use in arguing with PSA. At the end of the day, it’s annoying but you probably own a legitimate PSA 5 card so it is what it is.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:54 PM
J@son Per1

It’s fine. It’s obviously a screw up by PSA - they recorded it wrong in their database. As usual the Collins guy with the correct take.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:01 PM
John T

Default The Verdict Is In!!!!

And it ain't good....cracked the case, sent to SGC who said it is Authentic...lesson learned...hopefully!

Thanks for all of your replies. JT
Old 09-14-2022, 02:47 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny T View Post
And it ain't good....cracked the case, sent to SGC who said it is Authentic...lesson learned...hopefully!

Thanks for all of your replies. JT
With their new Authentic grades did they state why it was only graded as Authentic?
Old 09-14-2022, 08:07 PM
+0m J()rd@N

So you have one company that says it's only 'Authentic', another that says it is a 5/10 and several collectors here with still different opinions.

Who's right??

Isn't that the real problem with all the TPGs? They are just giving you an opinion, which can (and does) change on a daily basis.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-14-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:39 PM

I have a psa 10 2003 brady that is mislabeled by the card number...this is very rare....umm happy to sell it at a premium with the headline.. GOAT no psa 10 brady wrong card number graded higher....1 of 1!

Actually I'd sell it for list as I don't want to pay psa to fix their error...it should be free right?

I'll post the card tomorrow.

Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2022, 07:28 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I would start by submitting the card to PSA in the original holder and see if they can regrade/reslab the card. If its their error it may not cost you anything at all. Good luck..... I hope that card is real because I sure cant see anything wrong with it.
+1 agree

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-20-2022, 07:06 PM
John T

Sorry...card came back as Authentic w/evidence of trimming.