NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-14-2022, 11:57 AM

Default 1962 Topps Baseball question,Green Tint

OK, I am not a baseball card collector. So it seems that I always have a lot of question about cards from that sport.
So recently I bought a small lot of 1962 Topps baseball. So after doing a bit of research on the set. It appears there
is a variation set called green tint. So is this something that there is a variation for every card in the set. Or is it something
that happened to just certain cards in the set.Is there a checklist that I could use to check to see if I have any of these
variation cards. Also is there any difference in value between the green tint and the regular cards. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
OK, I am not a baseball card collector. So it seems that I always have a lot of question about cards from that sport.
So recently I bought a small lot of 1962 Topps baseball. So after doing a bit of research on the set. It appears there
is a variation set called green tint. So is this something that there is a variation for every card in the set. Or is it something
that happened to just certain cards in the set.Is there a checklist that I could use to check to see if I have any of these
variation cards. Also is there any difference in value between the green tint and the regular cards. Thanks in advance for any help.
It only affects series 2. Part of the production run used a different printing with a terrible look; the skies are green, colors are blurred, the images look a lot more low quality. Most are easy to spot. Green tints are scarcer than the proper quality printing run, but are not difficult at all and are widely available. I’m 1 card away from my own green tint set, a fun run without any real big cards you need to buy twice.

This album shows the differences on the cards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7602774575697/
Old 09-14-2022, 01:57 PM
Al Richter

While most of the differences are color, tint and cropping differences, for some reason the 2nd printing also used different portraits/poses for some players as can be seen in the scans Greg provided....Walls, Hoeft, Kunkle, Wiley, Yost and Moon. And Reniff got messed up in more ways than one
Old 09-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
While most of the differences are color, tint and cropping differences, for some reason the 2nd printing also used different portraits/poses for some players as can be seen in the scans Greg provided....Walls, Hoeft, Kunkle, Wiley, Yost and Moon. And Reniff got messed up in more ways than one
I think I spent more time figuring out how many 139/159 cards there were with Reniff than I did actually shopping for them . No clue why Topps would go to the effort of redesigning several of the cards to use completely different pictures when they switched printers. Seems like they just had a lot of unrelated problems intersecting in one series.

I’ve noticed the green tints are also often found with red streaks on them that I think I remember a previous discussion (I don’t know if it was on Net54 or a private group or something) concluding are remnants from how the presses were cleaned. Certain cards like Jim Brewer crop up with these streak marks more than others, though the exact pattern of the red marks varies.

I like them as a fun subset. I just need one of the Ruth cards, 138, to finish.

Topps had a similar problem with their football series the next year, with red ink over the backgrounds of many card images giving them a purple tint version, that had to be corrected in the print run. Many of the 1962 football cards have a similar look to these problems, but were never altered or fixed.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:21 PM
Mike Lenart

This thread was very helpful to me in identifying the green tints.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ght=green+tint

It was a fun subset to complete. I started getting them in the late 1960's and finished just a couple of years ago.

Mike
Old 09-14-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It only affects series 2. Part of the production run used a different printing with a terrible look; the skies are green, colors are blurred, the images look a lot more low quality. Most are easy to spot. Green tints are scarcer than the proper quality printing run, but are not difficult at all and are widely available. I’m 1 card away from my own green tint set, a fun run without any real big cards you need to buy twice.

This album shows the differences on the cards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7602774575697/

Thank you very much. The link helped a lot. But after I look at the link it sort of looks to me that the first card
that is available with the green tint variation is card #110 and the last one is card #196. Am I correct with
reading it that way.The reason I ask is that I have a few cards below #110 and also couple above #196 that
look like they have the green tint as well.Likely just my eyes not seeing thing properly. Thanks a lot to all that
have taken the time to respond.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Thank you very much. The link helped a lot. But after I look at the link it sort of looks to me that the first card
that is available with the green tint variation is card #110 and the last one is card #196. Am I correct with
reading it that way.The reason I ask is that I have a few cards below #110 and also couple above #196 that
look like they have the green tint as well.Likely just my eyes not seeing thing properly. Thanks a lot to all that
have taken the time to respond.
Yes, only 110-196, the second series, were printed this way. Some cards in other series have a greenish sky, but their images are not the ‘washed out’ aesthetic and they were never altered by Topps for an improved printing. There is only a variation in this one series.

The Ruth’s and Al Kaline are off the top of my head the most expensive cards in the series, so there’s no big cards you’d need to get 2 of to build it. It’s a fairly cheap and interesting project if you go for it.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Yes, only 110-196, the second series, were printed this way. Some cards in other series have a greenish sky, but their images are not the ‘washed out’ aesthetic and they were never altered by Topps for an improved printing. There is only a variation in this one series.

The Ruth’s and Al Kaline are off the top of my head the most expensive cards in the series, so there’s no big cards you’d need to get 2 of to build it. It’s a fairly cheap and interesting project if you go for it.
Thank you very much. I will not be doing the set. I only bought the baseball in hopes that I could trade it toward my vintage non sport needs.But I certainly appreciate the education on the set. Thanks again.