NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-21-2021, 07:19 AM
Curran Wilkinson

Default TTM to now

Back in the 80's was my heyday for TTM autograph collecting. I remember being incredibly excited to check the mailbox when I would come home from school to see if I had one or several SASEs returned to me. This particular instance gave me pause as I felt terrible for Vic's wife. That must have been hard to write back given the circumstances and by NO means was I owed a response. It was, still, very kind of her to let me know he had passed months prior and I kept the letter ever since. A few weeks ago I won an auction for a signed Vic Raschi 8x10. It felt good to finally acquire his autograph that I was seeking since the late 80's. Naturally, I took out the letter I had written him 32 years ago with his wife's inscription and smiled...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vic letter.jpg (76.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Vic photo.jpg (68.2 KB, 223 views)
Old 06-22-2021, 05:39 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

That was nice of her to write back. I almost had the same thing happen to me with Al Dark; in early October 2014, my SASE came back with 'Unable to sign/Thank you for understanding' stamped on the back. I figured my card would be returned unsigned, but he had signed it. A couple weeks later, I saw a request from another collector get returned unsigned, then a couple weeks after that, Dark died. It was good of him to keep signing as long as he did; it couldn't have been easy towards the end.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 PM
Hank Thomas

I've heard that until fairly recently, Ringo Starr signed and returned every autograph request. It's amazing to me that so many of these ballplayers in the last 30 years or so, long after their autographs had become marketable commodities, continued to honor TTMs. They must have been so grateful for what that kind of fame had done for their lives.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:20 AM

I received my cards back signed by Russ Nixon two years after he passed away. It seemed the return letter was lost in some papers but his relatives mailed it back to me with the explanation that they found it.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:46 AM
Curran Wilkinson

Holy cow Jake! What a story! That was very nice of the family….
Old 06-28-2021, 05:30 PM
Joe M.

In the 1970’s, being from the Detroit area I sent Charlie Gehringer a letter asking if I could stop by his home and have some items signed. This is what came in the mail. I was able to get some items signed later at card show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E905FE47-F2DD-4306-945C-59A26A884F15.jpg (11.3 KB, 63 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-28-2021, 05:43 PM

Default Cards

From 1989-1991 all I did was spend my allowance on stamps and send cards to athletes at their home stadiums. I beat the odds and got a Michael Jordan 1989 Fleer Sticker back signed in 1989 and even then at school, that was all anyone could talk about. I can still remember the excitement of seeing my own handwriting in the mailbox, knowing it was cards coming back signed, and opening them to see who was inside. WAY better than opening packs!