NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #901  
Old 11-25-2022, 08:12 AM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
This comment appears to have been made without much consideration of the current state of healthcare in underserved populations, and the maintenance of health and diet in populations of different socioeconomic backgrounds. In fact, I'm sure that it could be interpreted as somewhat insensitive to some readers, regardless of socioeconomic background. Some facts:

1) The poor and/or underserved (many of whom must accept government assistance to survive) often cannot afford to purchase healthier foods or do not have access to stores that carry healthier foods, and by necessity must buy more items (often because they are less expensive) with higher fat content (for example, the fattiest ground beef is MUCH less expensive than 96% lean ground beef). This leads to adopting a higher fat diet, which leads to obesity.
2) There are other causes of obesity other than consumption of bacon and whatever foods you may have seen in those ladies' carts at the time you saw them. Some contributing factors may be genetic. Another factor may be level of activity that may be deficient due to any of a myriad of reasons.
3) The comment suggests there should be a correlation between obesity and /or food choices and the wearing of masks. I have seen no studies out there that have researched correlations between obesity, items in a shopping cart, and mask wearing. It's also worth considering that perhaps the women were sick and did not wish to infect other people, and wore masks for that reason. I can tell you that many people wear masks to prevent potential infection of others, not to prevent infection. I have done this myself at times.
4) It's perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the appropriate type of mask to reduce the possibility of infection if they are obese, because obese individuals will often have co-morbidities that can make it much worse for them should they be infected with COVID. Also, appropriate masking and transmission of infection or risk of being infected is something that can be controlled; obesity can't or often cannot be controlled as easily as you might think.

If you were a member of the healthcare community, I can assure you that what you saw would not be "funny" or interpreted as ironic at all.
Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 11-25-2022, 10:04 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,121
Default

Unbelievable!!! But still, to many of the sheep, he is a god and is "Science"

Fauci Deposition report: “he can’t recall practically anything dealing with his Covid response!”
Louisiana AG Jeff Landry: “Wow! It was amazing to spend 7 hours with Dr. Fauci. The man who single-handedly wrecked the U.S. economy based upon ‘the science.’ Only to discover that he can’t recall practically anything dealing with his Covid response!”

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/1...ovid-response/
Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 11-25-2022, 10:32 AM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Posts: 5,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
This comment appears to have been made without much consideration of the current state of healthcare in underserved populations, and the maintenance of health and diet in populations of different socioeconomic backgrounds. In fact, I'm sure that it could be interpreted as somewhat insensitive to some readers, regardless of socioeconomic background. Some facts:

1) The poor and/or underserved (many of whom must accept government assistance to survive) often cannot afford to purchase healthier foods or do not have access to stores that carry healthier foods, and by necessity must buy more items (often because they are less expensive) with higher fat content (for example, the fattiest ground beef is MUCH less expensive than 96% lean ground beef). This leads to adopting a higher fat diet, which leads to obesity.
2) There are other causes of obesity other than consumption of bacon and whatever foods you may have seen in those ladies' carts at the time you saw them. Some contributing factors may be genetic. Another factor may be level of activity that may be deficient due to any of a myriad of reasons.
3) The comment suggests there should be a correlation between obesity and /or food choices and the wearing of masks. I have seen no studies out there that have researched correlations between obesity, items in a shopping cart, and mask wearing. It's also worth considering that perhaps the women were sick and did not wish to infect other people, and wore masks for that reason. I can tell you that many people wear masks to prevent potential infection of others, not to prevent infection. I have done this myself at times.
4) It's perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the appropriate type of mask to reduce the possibility of infection if they are obese, because obese individuals will often have co-morbidities that can make it much worse for them should they be infected with COVID. Also, appropriate masking and transmission of infection or risk of being infected is something that can be controlled; obesity can't or often cannot be controlled as easily as you might think.

If you were a member of the healthcare community, I can assure you that what you saw would not be "funny" or interpreted as ironic at all.
you mentioned a lot, but sometimes the simplest explanation can also be argued, perhaps people that are less educated and economically disadvantaged can also be ripe for manipulation by the government in many ways. Also my comment is basically the same as saying 'why does someone at burger king order 3 Whoppers and 3 Large Fries and a DIET COKE. You really didnt have to be so deep in the comment. Yeah there can be many meaningful ways to describe things but people can be hypocrites and also be all the things you mention as well...its not black and white my fellow human of the world. just an observation.

I was also speaking about someone who did have access to healthy groceries nearby because we were both at the same place and had equal access, so the lack of access argument is very disingenuous. Cramming in a false narrative.


As an aside, Tuna fish is still very cheap by the way and has very low fat content. Its not like people do not have access to canned tuna fish versus fresher high fat bacon. At the store I was at fresh veggies were very cheap and there are tons of cheap healthy options out ther versus junk food such as Doritos. I would think in 30 years life experience, people do know that high sugar is not good for you or high fat. People are free to make their choices and people are free to make observations (with a touch of humor) on those choices and also people are free to say those observations are insensitive as well.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-25-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 11-25-2022, 12:38 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
; obesity can't or often cannot be controlled as easily as you might think.
This is completely false. We do not have tens of millions of obese citizens because of uncontrollable conditions, it’s because people ignore the health consequences of unhealthy diets. It is, for 99% of the population, the easiest health problem to control. 99% can simply stop being obese by adopting a healthy diet and exercising.
Reply With Quote
  #905  
Old 11-25-2022, 01:45 PM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Posts: 5,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This is completely false. We do not have tens of millions of obese citizens because of uncontrollable conditions, it’s because people ignore the health consequences of unhealthy diets. It is, for 99% of the population, the easiest health problem to control. 99% can simply stop being obese by adopting a healthy diet and exercising.
also why is it other comparable countries seem to not have it close to as bad as us.
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:14 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
also why is it other comparable countries seem to not have it close to as bad as us.
Great wealth + fast food + fried everything = obese people everywhere .

I was one of them. It’s very easy to stop being that way. I even spend less on food now with a healthy lifestyle and BMI than I did when I didn’t care and lived the ‘good life’. Obesity is much easier to control (you yourself have control of it) than highly infectious diseases, and far, far, far more damaging to your health than Covid-19. Nobody cares, of course, because there’s no virtue signal political points for not being obese.
Reply With Quote
  #907  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:19 PM
jethrod3 jethrod3 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This is completely false. We do not have tens of millions of obese citizens because of uncontrollable conditions, it’s because people ignore the health consequences of unhealthy diets. It is, for 99% of the population, the easiest health problem to control. 99% can simply stop being obese by adopting a healthy diet and exercising.
The statement I made about controlling obesity is absolutely not completely false and can be easily verified if you care to do a deeper dive. Yes, there are many patients that are not compliant with doctor's recommendations. There are patients that cannot be compliant due to costs of maintaining medications. There are still more that do not have access to healthier foods and exercise for a myriad of reasons. To say that my comment is completely false is both wrong and short-sighted. There is no "simply stopping being obese by adopting a healthy diet and exercise" for 99% of people that are obese. Ask any doctor, especially those that care for the underserved and lower income populations, and they can fill you in on this if you care to listen to them.
Reply With Quote
  #908  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:24 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎ªt✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ºµℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
The statement I made about controlling obesity is absolutely not completely false and can be easily verified if you care to do a deeper dive. Yes, there are many patients that are not compliant with doctor's recommendations. There are patients that cannot be compliant due to costs of maintaining medications. There are still more that do not have access to healthier foods and exercise for a myriad of reasons. To say that my comment is completely false is both wrong and short-sighted. There is no "simply stopping being obese by adopting a healthy diet and exercise" for 99% of people that are obese. Ask any doctor, especially those that care for the underserved and lower income populations, and they can fill you in on this if you care to listen to them.
Only those with a woefully myopic worldview will disagree with your points here. "All those people struggling to make ends meet just need to start shopping at Whole Foods and sign up for spin classes!"
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:26 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
The statement I made about controlling obesity is absolutely not completely false and can be easily verified if you care to do a deeper dive. Yes, there are many patients that are not compliant with doctor's recommendations. There are patients that cannot be compliant due to costs of maintaining medications. There are still more that do not have access to healthier foods and exercise for a myriad of reasons. To say that my comment is completely false is both wrong and short-sighted. There is no "simply stopping being obese by adopting a healthy diet and exercise" for 99% of people that are obese. Ask any doctor, especially those that care for the underserved and lower income populations, and they can fill you in on this if you care to listen to them.
Bullshit. You can eat fairly healthy for the same cost as eating at McDonalds and getting trash every day. I know because I do it. The poor are as capable of walking and running as I am. It costs absolutely nothing to exercise, you don’t need a home gym, you need basic cardio for weight control. It is not difficult to not be obese, for poor and rich obesity was rare until very, very recently. Exercise, eat healthy, and 99% will not be obese. You don’t need medication to not be obese; you need medication for the things obesity causes and wreaks upon your body. It is very easy to not be fat. There is not some magic new fat disease striking Americans. It is peoples terrible choices for which they are responsible.
Reply With Quote
  #910  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:31 PM
jethrod3 jethrod3 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Great wealth + fast food + fried everything = obese people everywhere .

I was one of them. It’s very easy to stop being that way. I even spend less on food now with a healthy lifestyle and BMI than I did when I didn’t care and lived the ‘good life’. Obesity is much easier to control (you yourself have control of it) than highly infectious diseases, and far, far, far more damaging to your health than Covid-19. Nobody cares, of course, because there’s no virtue signal political points for not being obese.
For some folks with discipline, access to healthy foods, and a living wage, I agree, it's easier to try to adopt a healthier lifestyle and lose weight. The BMI is tricky though and there's an argument whether the cut-of for the BMI standard of obesity is correct. I am considered borderline obese based on BMI, but play basketball twice a week with college students that are 40 years younger than me in pickup-games, and do fairly well to keep up with them. In other words, I'm still fast and in relatively good shape. The BMI index is not a very good indicator of obesity in my particular case or for others, for different reasons. Can there be better messaging for living a healthier lifestyle? Absolutely. And you may have a point that because it remains apolitical, there may never be the attention drawn to it that COVID had. But again, it's not an issue that 99% of the afflicted population can wish away, easily or otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #911  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Only those with a woefully myopic worldview will disagree with your points here. "All those people struggling to make ends meet just need to start shopping at Whole Foods and sign up for spin classes!"
Sadly, you will find many with that worldview here.
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:34 PM
jethrod3 jethrod3 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Bullshit. You can eat fairly healthy for the same cost as eating at McDonalds and getting trash every day. I know because I do it. The poor are as capable of walking and running as I am. It costs absolutely nothing to exercise, you don’t need a home gym, you need basic cardio for weight control. It is not difficult to not be obese, for poor and rich obesity was rare until very, very recently. Exercise, eat healthy, and 99% will not be obese. You don’t need medication to not be obese; you need medication for the things obesity causes and wreaks upon your body. It is very easy to not be fat. There is not some magic new fat disease striking Americans. It is peoples terrible choices for which they are responsible.
If you can't be civil and counter with arguments supported by facts and without using expletives, you're not worth my time. But you keep taking your narrow-minded view, and good luck to you with that approach.
Reply With Quote
  #913  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:48 PM
jethrod3 jethrod3 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 66
Default

Thanks Bobby and James. Sometimes I don't know why I bother to post in threads that are not directly related to sports memorabilia. It's difficult to share contrasting points of view even when supported by easily accessible facts and when offered in a civil manner. I don't pretend to know everything; we all deal with having bias: unconscious bias and other forms. In the end, I may agree that given the context, I may have an opinion or may have formed a conclusion that might be right or might be wrong. But I have no interest in engaging with people that just want to keep their hands over their ears or respond with expletives or a unilateral statement that a comment supported by facts is completely wrong. It's just a waste of time and it's better to just agree to disagree with people rather than divert my time from reading through some of the other fun threads on Leon's wonderful forum.
Reply With Quote
  #914  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:48 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
If you can't be civil and counter with arguments supported by facts and without using expletives, you're not worth my time. But you keep taking your narrow-minded view, and good luck to you with that approach.
Did the word, "Bullshit", really upset you that badly?
Best not to watch this then as I'm sure it will send you right over the edge even though Bill is 100% spot on. The majority of fat people come from fat tables, there is no denying that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiWjnStE3w
Reply With Quote
  #915  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:52 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This is completely false. We do not have tens of millions of obese citizens because of uncontrollable conditions, it’s because people ignore the health consequences of unhealthy diets. It is, for 99% of the population, the easiest health problem to control. 99% can simply stop being obese by adopting a healthy diet and exercising.
It's amazing isnt it? I mean who would of thought "poor" people could be fat? Look at 3rd world countries, those are poor people. Are are talking about poor, or lazy? It would actually take effort to get off those statin drugs and insulin, with just a little diet and exercise. As it would to go shopping anywhere and cook, rather than stop at the drive thru.
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 11-25-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #916  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:57 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎ªt✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ºµℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Sadly, you will find many with that worldview here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Thanks Bobby and James. Sometimes I don't know why I bother to post in threads that are not directly related to sports memorabilia. It's difficult to share contrasting points of view even when supported by easily accessible facts and when offered in a civil manner. I don't pretend to know everything; we all deal with having bias: unconscious bias and other forms. In the end, I may agree that given the context, I may have an opinion or may have formed a conclusion that might be right or might be wrong. But I have no interest in engaging with people that just want to keep their hands over their ears or respond with expletives or a unilateral statement that a comment supported by facts is completely wrong. It's just a waste of time and it's better to just agree to disagree with people rather than divert my time from reading through some of the other fun threads on Leon's wonderful forum.
This and the gun ownership threads have really brought out some nastiness and ignorance. I consider it a good thing about this community that such vitriolic garbage is relatively rare on here.
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole
Reply With Quote
  #917  
Old 11-25-2022, 03:05 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Ots amazing isnt it? I mean who would of thought "poor" people could be fat? Look at 3rd world countries, those are poor people. Are are talking about poor, or lazy? It would actually take effort to get off those statin drugs and insulin, with just a little diet and exercise. As it would to go shopping anywhere and cook, rather than stop at the drive thru.
It's lazy and we all know it . It's very easy, it doesn't take the privilege of being wealthy to not be obese. There is a very, very small part of the population with a genuine disorder that prevents their body from working properly and for whom weight management is legitimately difficult and not a simple choice, but it is very, very rare.

Having a little discipline is not a privilege of the wealthy. A fellow's job does not mean he is incapable of thinking about what he puts into his body, incapable of discipline, incapable of getting out and exercising (cardio is free! It costs nothing to take a run!). What an offensive characterization of the poor, since we're going to make this about being offended. I was poor and barely scraping by out of college when I made the choice to stop being fat. I was still able to pick the healthy food. A giant tub of Spinach costs less than a Big Mac.

Being fat is a choice people make. It's grossly unhealthy. People can make whatever choice they want for themselves, but to pretend that most people are incapable of policing their weight is a load of bullshit. That's not "science" or "medicine", that's denying it. If people want to get triggered by basic self responsibility or their unscientific bullshit being labelled "bullshit", they can.
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 11-25-2022, 04:00 PM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Thanks Bobby and James. Sometimes I don't know why I bother to post in threads that are not directly related to sports memorabilia. It's difficult to share contrasting points of view even when supported by easily accessible facts and when offered in a civil manner. I don't pretend to know everything; we all deal with having bias: unconscious bias and other forms. In the end, I may agree that given the context, I may have an opinion or may have formed a conclusion that might be right or might be wrong. But I have no interest in engaging with people that just want to keep their hands over their ears or respond with expletives or a unilateral statement that a comment supported by facts is completely wrong. It's just a waste of time and it's better to just agree to disagree with people rather than divert my time from reading through some of the other fun threads on Leon's wonderful forum.
The thing I underestimate is the ability of conservative white men to see the world in their own view, other views (and facts) be damned. It’s actually amazing to behold.
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 11-25-2022, 04:38 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
The thing I underestimate is the ability of conservative white men to see the world in their own view, other views (and facts) be damned. It’s actually amazing to behold.

You certainly dont underestimate using the race card!
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Reply With Quote
  #920  
Old 11-25-2022, 04:42 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎ªt✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ºµℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
You certainly dont underestimate using the race card!
Finally this thread is about cards!
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole
Reply With Quote
  #921  
Old 11-25-2022, 04:46 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
You certainly dont underestimate using the race card!
When you don’t have any facts or common sense, you got to deal the “everyone else must be racist” card, even if it’s about a completely non-racial topic, like cross-racial obesity . You can’t reason with an unreasonable ideologue who can only spout completely off topic accusations.
Reply With Quote
  #922  
Old 11-25-2022, 07:15 PM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
When you don’t have any facts or common sense, you got to deal the “everyone else must be racist” card, even if it’s about a completely non-racial topic, like cross-racial obesity . You can’t reason with an unreasonable ideologue who can only spout completely off topic accusations.
I think the side that says socioeconomic conditions have nothing to do with obesity rates and it’s just personal choices is the side that is disregarding facts. Or is empirical evidence something we just cast aside when we want to fit a narrow worldview - got it. Will try that more often.
Reply With Quote
  #923  
Old 11-25-2022, 07:17 PM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
You certainly dont underestimate using the race card!
It gets you so fired up - hard not to throw a passing shot.
Reply With Quote
  #924  
Old 11-26-2022, 12:36 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 11,600
Default

I take offense to the suggestion that wearing a mask is "virtue signaling." What irony. For years you righties claimed the right to make your own choice about masks and now you deride anyone who does the same simply because you don't agree with the choice they make? I guess the freedom to make a choice is a great thing unless it is someone else's choice and you don't agree with it. You also don't know the minds of the people who choose to mask up. I wear a mask in public places at risk for spreading respiratory viruses right now because my last cold ended up with a vicious sinus infection and I don't want a repeat performance. That ain't a signal, it is self-preservation.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #925  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:12 AM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I take offense to the suggestion that wearing a mask is "virtue signaling." What irony. For years you righties claimed the right to make your own choice about masks and now you deride anyone who does the same simply because you don't agree with the choice they make? I guess the freedom to make a choice is a great thing unless it is someone else's choice and you don't agree with it. You also don't know the minds of the people who choose to mask up. I wear a mask in public places at risk for spreading respiratory viruses right now because my last cold ended up with a vicious sinus infection and I don't want a repeat performance. That ain't a signal, it is self-preservation.

"They do seem to have largely stopped the mask virtue signaling, it's a small minority still wearing them here in far-left land where I live, and those that do aren't going apoplectic when they see people not participating in their fear narrative."

You can do whatever you want. The virtue signaling is the freak-outs, demands, and bans of people choosing not to participate in your fear. If you are scared to go outside without a mask and believe that you need one to stay alive, then wear one. The statement actually made was that it nice that, while the narrative will never be dropped, the virute-signalling has subsided and people are no longer throwing public tantrums or attempting to arrest the rest of us for living a normal life. If you'd like to be offended, go right ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #926  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:48 AM
jethrod3 jethrod3 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Did the word, "Bullshit", really upset you that badly?
Best not to watch this then as I'm sure it will send you right over the edge even though Bill is 100% spot on. The majority of fat people come from fat tables, there is no denying that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiWjnStE3w
Nope, doesn't upset me. Read what I wrote though. People can use expletives or they can carry on a civil conversation (use of profanity carries with it added meaning, doesn't it, because in this case it's basically telling a person that they are full of it, no?). Not interested in expletive-laced rants, which is what these conversations would lead to if I responded in kind. Simple as that. And he's not 100% spot on. The discussion was also not about the majority of people. My original response was based on what I interpreted as the context of quote I was originally referring to. And it's 100% correct. Again, if you asked anyone in the healthcare industry or someone that educates those in the healthcare industry, I believe they would support the statements I made.

Look at the response I got: "You can eat fairly healthy for the same cost as eating at McDonalds and getting trash every day." Low-income people cannot afford the cost of 3 combo meals from McDonalds for each of an average of 3-4 family members every day. Sure, if they had the money to spend $6-$10 per person per meal like they would spend at McDonalds, they indeed could eat healthier, and maybe the author of this comment can do that every day with their income. But I can assure you that a significant proportion of the U.S. population cannot spend that much money on individual meals. The argument is absurd and is not supported by the math.

Last edited by jethrod3; 11-26-2022 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #927  
Old 11-26-2022, 06:34 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 8,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Nope, doesn't upset me. Read what I wrote though. People can use expletives or they can carry on a civil conversation (use of profanity carries with it added meaning, doesn't it, because in this case it's basically telling a person that they are full of it, no?). Not interested in expletive-laced rants, which is what these conversations would lead to if I responded in kind. Simple as that. And he's not 100% spot on. The discussion was also not about the majority of people. My original response was based on what I interpreted as the context of quote I was originally referring to. And it's 100% correct. Again, if you asked anyone in the healthcare industry or someone that educates those in the healthcare industry, I believe they would support the statements I made.

Look at the response I got: "You can eat fairly healthy for the same cost as eating at McDonalds and getting trash every day." Low-income people cannot afford the cost of 3 combo meals from McDonalds for each of an average of 3-4 family members every day. Sure, if they had the money to spend $6-$10 per person per meal like they would spend at McDonalds, they indeed could eat healthier, and maybe the author of this comment can do that every day with their income. But I can assure you that a significant proportion of the U.S. population cannot spend that much money on individual meals. The argument is absurd and is not supported by the math.
If they are being honest they will tell you it is really because they are STUPID. Plain and simple the majority of poor people are poor because they are dumb. You can't expect them to magically make good food decisions when they do not have the ability to make intelligent decisions. As someone who grew up seriously poor and still has some seriously poor friends from the old neighborhood that is my real life observation.

Covid also seems to be a popular Thanksgiving acquisition.
Reply With Quote
  #928  
Old 11-26-2022, 07:01 AM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If they are being honest they will tell you it is really because they are STUPID. Plain and simple the majority of poor people are poor because they are dumb. You can't expect them to magically make good food decisions when they do not have the ability to make intelligent decisions. As someone who grew up seriously poor and still has some seriously poor friends from the old neighborhood that is my real life observation.

Covid also seems to be a popular Thanksgiving acquisition.
Pretty amazing take. First post here that made me laugh. So your view is a kid born poor in the inner city has the same opportunity as a trust funder from Cape Cod? If only that first kid wasn’t so stupid he’d do just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #929  
Old 11-26-2022, 07:49 AM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Pretty amazing take. First post here that made me laugh. So your view is a kid born poor in the inner city has the same opportunity as a trust funder from Cape Cod? If only that first kid wasn’t so stupid he’d do just fine.

If one is lazy and the other isnt, they could end up on opposite sides of the coin. If not, why try? That's the exact "science " and excuse you are giving to people.

I disagree people are poor, Not stupid. They are incentivized to stay that way.
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Reply With Quote
  #930  
Old 11-26-2022, 09:30 AM
Kzoo's Avatar
Kzoo Kzoo is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I disagree. People are poor, Not stupid. They are incentivized to stay that way.
Exactly. Our government makes it way too easy.
Reply With Quote
  #931  
Old 11-26-2022, 10:11 AM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
If one is lazy and the other isnt, they could end up on opposite sides of the coin. If not, why try? That's the exact "science " and excuse you are giving to people.

I disagree people are poor, Not stupid. They are incentivized to stay that way.
Almost have to think you guys are joking.
Reply With Quote
  #932  
Old 11-26-2022, 12:27 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Almost have to think you guys are joking.

I shudder to think you or your ilk might be educators to our youth
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 11-26-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #933  
Old 11-26-2022, 12:39 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎ªt✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ºµℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I shudder to think you or your ilk might be educators to our youth
You mean people who are willing to consider viewpoints other than their own? Yeah, I'd hate to see those kind of people in education...
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole
Reply With Quote
  #934  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:05 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
You mean people who are willing to consider viewpoints other than their own? Yeah, I'd hate to see those kind of people in education...
Those that make excuses for others. The moochers, the takers, and the unproductive of society. I've walked the streets of 3rd world countries. People that are poor, aren't overweight.
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Reply With Quote
  #935  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:13 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎ªt✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ºµℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Those that make excuses for others. The moochers, the takers, and the unproductive of society.
How do you determine who does and doesn't belong to that group?
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole
Reply With Quote
  #936  
Old 11-26-2022, 03:46 PM
jethrod3 jethrod3 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If they are being honest they will tell you it is really because they are STUPID. Plain and simple the majority of poor people are poor because they are dumb. You can't expect them to magically make good food decisions when they do not have the ability to make intelligent decisions. As someone who grew up seriously poor and still has some seriously poor friends from the old neighborhood that is my real life observation.

Covid also seems to be a popular Thanksgiving acquisition.
If you were a co-worker of mine, I could introduce you to over 100 doctors I know and NONE of them will tell you that it is because poor people are stupid---some of them treat the indigent populations of patients and they can speak from experiences with hundreds of individuals. I also grew up seriously poor and I still have friends that are heads of lower income families. You and I absolutely have not made the same real-life observations; these friends intellectually were a microcosm of the general population (translation: some are smart, others not so smart, and most are in the average range of intellect). Perhaps you should consider that your view is extremely limited because of your experiences or who you knew, and maybe, just maybe, there are other explanations....and that looking at a larger number of people than the few you associated with could lead to a different point of view, or at least the notion that you should be open to that possibility. Too say that the majority of poor people are stupid and to use this as an explanation of obesity is just ridiculous. You can read more about health care disparities and diet in underserved populations if you really want more insight in this area---the actual data will convince you much better than I could, if you have the interest in pursuing it further. I'll just leave it there.
Reply With Quote
  #937  
Old 11-26-2022, 06:44 PM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Those that make excuses for others. The moochers, the takers, and the unproductive of society. I've walked the streets of 3rd world countries. People that are poor, aren't overweight.
And your logic tells you that it’s because they are smarter? Smart thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #938  
Old 11-26-2022, 08:38 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,121
Default

Fauci emailed friend saying masks were 'ineffective,' pushed for mandates anyway, Missouri AG says
Brianna Herlihy

Fri, November 25, 2022 at 3:38 PM


Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt said Friday that during his seven-hour deposition with Dr. Anthony Fauci, new information revealed that two months after Fauci told a friend masks were "ineffective," he supported mask mandates.

On Friday, the Show-Me State Republican attorney general tweeted a "tidbit" from his deposition with the outgoing head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases:

"Another tidbit from Fauci depo: In Feb ‘20 he emailed a friend advising her masks were ineffective. Confirmed again on Mar 31. On Apr 3 he’s adamant masks should be worn even though he couldn’t cite a single study to prove it. Mandates followed—Lives ruined."

"COVID tyranny is born," Schmitt continued.

On Wednesday, Schmitt and his counterpart, Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry, questioned Biden's chief medical adviser under oath for his alleged role in colluding with Big Tech to control communication about COVID-19 as part of the duo's lawsuit.

Schmitt and Landry filed the lawsuit in May, accusing top-ranking government officials of working with the giant social media companies Meta [Facebook], Twitter and YouTube "under the guise of combating misinformation" in order to achieve greater censorship.

They are seeking to prove that Fauci worked with Facebook and others to tamp down talk that the virus originated in a lab in Wuhan, China.

"Defendant Dr. Anthony Fauci, a senior federal government official, coordinating with others, orchestrated a campaign to discredit the lab-leak hypothesis in early 2020," Landry and Schmitt said in their brief. "As director of [National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases], Dr. Fauci had funded risky 'gain-of-function' research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology through intermediaries such as EcoHealth Alliance, headed by Dr. Peter Daszak."

Dr. Anthony Fauci debates Rand Paul

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
FAUCI ADMITS ‘CERTAIN ASPECTS’ OF THE GOVERNMENT'S COVID-19 RESPONSE WERE ‘BOTCHED’

"Thus, if the lab-leak theory were established, Dr. Fauci and Dr. Daszak could be potentially implicated in funding the research on viruses that caused the COVID19 pandemic and killed millions of people worldwide," they said.

According to a Wednesday tweet following the deposition, Schmitt said Fauci "knew the Lab Leak theory had merit but it'd come back to him & sought to immediately discredit it."

In his last White House press conference before he is scheduled to retire after a 50-year career next month, Fauci said, "Every day for all those years I've given it all that I have, and I've never left anything on the field," he continued.

"I gave it all I got," Fauci added.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-ema...213839857.html

Last edited by irv; 11-26-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #939  
Old 11-29-2022, 09:03 AM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Posts: 5,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Sadly, you will find many with that worldview here.
i also think its interesting when there is a solid issue and the only main negative is attacking the extreme position such as saying ZERO chance that poeple cant control obesity...of course its not zero.....but than the person citing the extreme one way is extreme the other way in their position saying CANT control obesity essentially...we are talking about a majority postion.not the extreme....i would argue the majority of people can control obesity by eating less fatty foods and lower sugar and moderate excercise for 15 mins a day such as walking would do wonders for the majority of people. Focusing an argument on people who are extreme that say that zero chance anyone can avoid being obese if they really dont want to really makes your argument extreme as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you get vaccinated against COVID once it's available? vintagetoppsguy WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 758 03-14-2022 04:14 PM
Off topic COVID-19 vaccines jcmtiger Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 89 01-09-2021 10:11 AM
A little Covid humor DaveW Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 16 09-30-2020 04:10 PM
Autographs and Covid theshleps Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 3 04-11-2020 01:33 PM
National 19th century cabinet acquisition uffda51 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 08-18-2011 03:33 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 AM.


ebay GSB