NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default ANOTHER SLABBIBG BLUNDER

Posted By: Jay Miller 

This week SGC gets a chance to do themselves proud on Ebay item 2740697541 (Old Judge Farrar). Just think how high a grade the card could have gotten if all of it was there.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Administrator

For those of you who don't know SLABBIBG BLUNDER is a BIG SLABBING BLUNDER.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

At least it looks like a vintage trim job, from the scan.....another sad day at SGC.... here's a link for the lazy (like me )
Here's a couple more tidbits.... I am still waiting for the "open" vintage registry they said they would do. Also, I am not pinching pennies too much, and have not fully digested the increases in fees, but am not too happy about the SGC fee raising email I got recently.(GAI is looking better all of the time).........regards all

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2740697541

Old 07-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Is it possible to tell from the holder when this card was slabbed?

Old 07-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Yes it is possible as the slab serial number will tell you. Until I get home and look at my slabs I can't tell the approx date though ( I think you can tell by that). I can tell you it was done sometime in the past couple years, as that is about when the 1-10 grade was given under the 1-100 grade....ie the "3" on this card. I can also tell you it was the 28th card in the particular submission, hence the "28" at the end of the serial number......so bottom line is that this is at least a fairly current slab.....best regards

Old 07-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

You are both nuts! If it is graded, then it is perfect!

Old 07-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I am looking at the card too and am wondering what the blunder is, other possibly being a touch overgraded due the back. Would you guys care to explain what youa re refering to.

Jay

Old 07-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

the card is trimmed to where it's missing the bottom portion where the tag line for Goodwin & Co. is found. To his credit, David Bryan notes that in his description.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

It's a very recent grade. Post-Derek era.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Administrator

I guess Derek is missed.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

"What are the last five words on an Old Judge?" "Goodwin and Co. New York."

Old 07-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Nah, couldn't be?
Maybe they'll say the bottom of the card was there when it was graded and David substituted another card and resealed it.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

I am one to stick up for a grading company as you all know but..

At SportsFest I had a long talk with Sean at SGC and he made a great point with respect to errors that they make and will make. As a grading company they are always under the microscope. Rarely do we come on and give them praise each time that they do the right thing but "God forbid" (that is for my buddy BCD)they make a mistake.

He was not trying to make excuses but just point out the obvious. At least SGC can be approached on something like this and will handle it with class. I am sure that we all prefer that they or any of the grading companies make another mistake but that is not going to happen.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Administrator

I agree that SGC will most likely handle this in an exemplary manner. That's not the point. With graders supposedly checking graders on their work this obvious mistake, on the most popular and widely collected 19th century issue, should never happen.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I see the auction has been ended early-----did SGC buy the card back, as David doesn't normally end his auctions early?

Old 07-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Administrator

David emailed me yesterday that he might end the auction early so I would guess that he just pulled the card.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mckee

Graders checking Graders is great! An extra set of eyes is great! Problem is, at least 1 of them needs to know what he is looking at.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Administrator

I spoke to a gentleman at SGC today and we spoke about a variety of topics. First of all the Old Judge was a flat out mistake. For a company that values itself on grading most of our little gems it was a large mistake. What to do? Fix it and try to not let it happen again. I am sure SGC and David spoke and it was agreed to pull the card asap...as should have been done. It should not have happened but did. I think, that as some things in life, you almost have to judge by the big picture though. What is the frequency of mistakes (understanding "one" is too many) that each company makes? So far I have personally seen fewer mistakes by SGC than the others. I don't have a great understanding of how well my friends at Beckett and SCD do, as I don't see too many old vintage cards in their holders. Can't speak much to their consistancy with that being said. AS for the price increase as I stated in my prior post on this thread I have gone back and "digested" it. There really wasn't an increase except in cross over fees. I guess I can live with that As for the SGC "open" registry I really believe the ops people want to do it but it is a little out of their control. There are other priorities (I am told) and this has not made it to the top of the list. I explained how I know it might be a tough industry but this is a REVENUE generator....hmmm...oh well, what's the old saying...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him Open the Registry later

Old 07-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

and customer service oriented. Bottom of the Ninth-go get the Wagner!