NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Richard Simon

Default Please sign Mr Jeter - NY Times article about collecting Jeter in Fla

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/sp...t_th_20130208&
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I've bought a Robinson Cano signed bat from one of the guys they quoted in the article before. Small world.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Nice article. Not sure I would wait almost 8 plus hours for a Jeter graph that looks like slop, but that is just me. To each their own.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Banned

This is unbelievable, why would you want an autograph from someone like that? Mr. too cool for school.

he doesnt care about you, so dont ask him about his day. he can go jump in the lake as far as i am concerned. babe ruth was more popular than anyone, and i dont think babe treated people like that. who does he think he is? derek jeter? so what.

turns my stomach that people sign up for that abuse.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-08-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
This is unbelievable, why would you want an autograph from someone like that.
so they can turn around and resell that sig. you have whole forums dedicated to stuff like this. i don't blame the superstars for being indignant about it.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Jeff

The man's been hounded by these guys for nearly twenty years, I wouldn't give them the time of day.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
The man's been hounded by these guys for nearly twenty years, I wouldn't give them the time of day.
Babe Ruth was hounded for more than twenty-five years, and always managed to treat his fans well.
It doesn't take much.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Jeff

Well he's obviously no Babe Ruth. Everyone's different.
It's a personal decision, it's has to get old.

Different game today, same faces day after day. Same hounds, runners, resellers.
No way to discern a "first time fan" from the rest.
Default position, ignore them all.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-08-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Well he's obviously no Babe Ruth.
Amen to that, brother!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Jeff

On a positive note wasn't there a story sometime back about him sending women home from his place with an autographed baseball? Or am I confusing the playa?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Rz3KsCwUDzPjWA

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-08-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Babe Ruth was hounded for more than twenty-five years, and always managed to treat his fans well.
It doesn't take much.

exactly,

if jeter didnt feel like signing that day, so be it, but to tell people that should avert their eyes and not talk to him, that's ridiculous.

i am from the land of kirby puckett, and he would never treat the fans that way. I miss that guy.

no one was mobbed more than muhammad ali, and he signed for 40 years without treating people like this, he signed and signed and talked to people, he didnt act like this, that's for sure. how can Ali do it, and this guy can't act like a human being?

Last edited by travrosty; 02-08-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Derek Jeter, what a giver...

Jeff, you are correct that Derek sends the women that he beds home with a fabulous parting gift- an autographed Derek Jeter baseball!! Whoopee!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Derek Jeter, what a giver...

Jeff, you are correct that Derek sends the women that he beds home with a fabulous parting gift- an autographed Derek Jeter baseball!! Whoopee!
Well there you go, somedays he is a gracious signer!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM

He's got a supply of those baseballs pre-inscribed, on his bedside table... "To what was your name again?, Sincerely, Derek Jeter"

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-08-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
He's got a supply of those baseballs pre-inscribed, on his bedside table... "To what was your name again?, Sincerely, Derek Jeter"

Brooks Robinson needs to smack this Jeter guy upside the head, but he's too nice a guy to do it.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Brooks Robinson needs to smack this Jeter guy upside the head, but he's too nice a guy to do it.
YOu could ask ARod to do it but he would miss.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

two more guys who were bombarded for their autograph every day but didnt seem to act like morons.

joe louis -signed for over 40 years, his son said he cant remember ever going out with his dad where he wasnt constantly asked for his autograph, every time they ever ate out together.

another - jack dempsey, as popular as babe ruth back in the 20's, signed for over 60 years, i have never heard of him treating his fans like a jerk, because he is jack dempsey, he accomodated the fans.

jeter could take notes.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM

Here's my beef with players like Jeter. Tell everyone when you go into practice whether or not you feel like stopping to sign after. If not, then why make people wait all day for nothing? You can still be a polite jerk.

Last edited by packs; 02-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Here's my beef with players like Jeter. Tell everyone when you go into practice whether or not you feel like stopping to sign after. If not, then why make people wait all day for nothing? You can still be a polite jerk.
I agree with that. There's no reason to be rude but your not obligated to sign. Kudos to Ruth, Dempsey, Louis, BRobby and others who were obviously very accommodating over the years.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
YOu could ask ARod to do it but he would miss.
LOL
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM

It would take two seconds to say "Not today, guys" as he walks in. Everyone is there before he arrives as it is. And if you say No you'll trim the line down if you do feel like stopping later.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

OK, Yankee fans ..... cover you ears

Stories like this make me cringe ..... but also make me wonder what it would be like if I couldn't urinate in a public bathroom without being hounded for my autograph. You MUST think that back in his early career, Jeter, or any other player for that matter, probably adored the attention and stopped to sign more often. After so long the novelty wears off and your signings become more and more rare. For some players, the novelty NEVER wears off (Babe Ruth and many others mentioned already).

In the end, the players like Jeter are biting the hands that feed them. No, we, as fans, do not write Jeter's paychecks ...... but without the attendance at the games there is no Yankees and therefore no paycheck. Yankee fans know he is an idiot, but yet they still pay for those tickets! Obviously it impossible for him to discern between the fan and the guy who will have that auto for sale on eBay before the night is over ...... and as a player that's gotta suck.

You guys are right though. What is the harm in making an announcement that morning as you enter the facility if you are going to have time to sign or not afterwards? Or, better yet, if you (Derek Jeter) want to have justification for being an asshole, why not stop for 20-25 autos everyday. How long can it possibly take to sign your name 25 times? If you see the same person there waiting for you, knowing that you just signed for him yesterday, then just bypass that person and move on to the next..... or do something silly like sign it "mickey mouse" .... or just give him the Nyjer Morgan sig.

Last edited by sdkammeyer; 02-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM

I feel like there are only two possibilities as to why players don't say they will or won't sign early in the day and make people wait all day to find out.

Either they truly don't know how they're going to feel later.

Or

They like to turn people down.

I'll never be convinced that some players don't get some kind of sadistic pleasure from watching people want their autograph and walking by without signing a single one. I saw Bryce Harper do it all day, every day at Nationals camp after he was drafted first overall. And then I watched Strasburg sign for almost everyone even though he held the same cache as Harper.

I also don't really buy that a player doesn't know whether or not he's going to sign until the moment practice is over. You walk off the field to people asking for you to sign. You take an hour or two to shower and get dressed. And then you walk by those people again, who you know by now will be waiting for you.

Just say yes or no from the start and stop being a jerk. I can't tell you how many times I watched Jose Reyes and David Wright tell Mets fans in Port Saint Lucie that they'll sign as soon as their drills are over, only to watch them walk by everyone who has patiently waited, pick up their bags, and leave without even looking at a fan. It makes me sick.

Last edited by packs; 02-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM

What players get annoyed with is seeing the same people day in and day out who hand them a large stack of items to sign. I think a lot more players would be willing to sign if they did not think that the individual was just going to turn around and sell it.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Brian Macdonald

Personalize the autographs, that will sort out the fans from the re-sellers.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM

It's not hard to make your autograph not worth selling. Sign for everyone.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
For some players, the novelty NEVER wears off (Babe Ruth and many others mentioned already).
IT wasn't the novelty. It's really quite simple.
Ruth genuinely liked his fans. He genuinely liked people. And he probably never forgot where he came from.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
exactly,

if jeter didnt feel like signing that day, so be it, but to tell people that should avert their eyes and not talk to him, that's ridiculous.

i am from the land of kirby puckett, and he would never treat the fans that way. I miss that guy.
?
yea real nice guy, that puckett!

the difference between jeter and ruth, louis, and all the old timers who were accomodating is they didn't see the "fan" turn around and sell the signed ball for $200 right away, or louis didn't see 2 gloves, 3 trunks, and 5 index cards shoved in his face by 1 guy day after day after day.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM

I'm sure there were pricks--like Jeter--in Ruth's day, too.
It's just that Ruth wasn't one of them.

I grew up in the Bronx, in the sixties. We used to hang out outside the Stadium for autographs all the time.
Most guys signed. Some didn't.
(I lost count of how many times Mantle pushed me away.)
And we didn't ask for ten signatures, or turn around and resell.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM
qu@n nguy3n

that's what i'm saying...today if you sign for 10 guys, 9 of them are turning around to sell or getting the sig on consignment. that's the game, i don't fault the player for getting fed up. what's funny is when the players are not accomodating or polite to these hounds they go on chatboard and badmouth the players...how dare the players not let me make money off them? and i say all this knowing full well i'm in this hobby and a part of the cycle.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM

You misunderstood me, Chad. It has nothing--or very little--to do with "today's" autograph collectors.
In every era, there are pricks, and there are menschen.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 PM

Jeter should compromise and hand out 15% off coupons for his signed ball at the Steiner website.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Personalize the autographs, that will sort out the fans from the re-sellers.
Depending on the item, personalizations can be removed if you know what you are doing.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Mikeknapp

Cool

I don’t know who is more pathetic in this exchange, the beggars or the pinstriped prince. Ripken he definitely aint....
Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I don’t know who is more pathetic in this exchange, the beggars or the pinstriped prince. Ripken he definitely aint....
...or Nolan Ryan!

I remember when Nolan would come to Anaheim when he was with Texas towards the end of his career, the Rangers would stay at the Doubletree Hotel in Anaheim. You could literally set your clock by Nolan. He would exit the hotel at precisely the same time every day and sign at least two of the three days on every road trip. As long as the croud stayed polite and unruly he would sign one autograph for EVERY person outside the hotel. He would stop signing when he saw the same pair of shoes twice. This is how he knew that someone was trying to pull a fast one and jump back into line. In 1992 and 1993, his final two seasons, the lines to get his autograph were perhaps 100-150 people long, no exaggeration. He took his time and signed neatly for everyone and would acknowlege anyone that spoke to him.

Unfortunately they broke the mold with Cal and Nolan. Of the modern stars, these guys were genuine princes when it came to the way they treated fans.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Depending on the item, personalizations can be removed if you know what you are doing.
you could partially sign the personalization over the edge of your autograph. overlap them a little.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The instructions for getting a signature sound like the Soup Nazi's ordering ritual.

Now this is more like it:

"Tyler Austin, one of the organization’s top prospects, always makes himself available — an easy decision, he said. He recalled attending a Chattanooga Lookouts minor league game as an 8-year-old and positioning himself for postgame autographs by moving down the right-field line, just past a gate that led to the team’s locker room. A couple of players stopped. Many more did not. “I remember it vividly,” said Austin, an outfielder who has hit .331 in the minors. “My mom looked at me and said, ‘One day you’re going to be there, and I swear if I ever see you walk by anybody and not sign a thing for them, I will come and personally slap you right across the face.’ ” "

So someone sells the 'graph, so what? A guy like Jeter makes $200,000,000.00+ over a career and he's miffed that some shmuck ekes out a living selling signatures? What, is the guy taking money out of Jeter's pocket? Taking away a business opp? No and no. And if that was the case, Jeter could simply be polite about it and make a blanket announcement or deal with it like a gentleman. Cary Grant did not sign autographs but he was unfailingly nice to the people who asked. Ringo Starr until relatively recenty signed TTM and when he decided to quit he made a video about it and posted it all over the place just to alert fans not to send him more stuff. Derek Jeter is bigger than a Beatle?!?! Bigger than Ali, as Travis pointed out? There was a recent story about George Clooney in a restaurant in Europe where he thought that his party might have been too loud so he surreptitiously picked up the dinner tab for the table next to his. It's called "class" and Jeter and the rest of the A-hole Brigade don't have it and never will.

The real bottom line about Jeter and the rest of them is what the late boxing broadcaster Nick Charles said was his philosophy: "Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-09-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Brock

But don't most minor leaguers start off like Austin signing for everyone and then become a dick once they're a super star.

Last edited by yanks12025; 02-09-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The instructions for getting a signature sound like the Soup Nazi's ordering ritual.

"Tyler Austin, one of the organization’s top prospects, always makes himself available — an easy decision, he said. He recalled attending a Chattanooga Lookouts minor league game as an 8-year-old and positioning himself for postgame autographs by moving down the right-field line, just past a gate that led to the team’s locker room. A couple of players stopped. Many more did not. “I remember it vividly,” said Austin, an outfielder who has hit .331 in the minors. “My mom looked at me and said, ‘One day you’re going to be there, and I swear if I ever see you walk by anybody and not sign a thing for them, I will come and personally slap you right across the face.’ ” "

So someone sells the 'graph, so what? A guy like Jeter makes $200,000,000.00+ over a career and he's miffed that some shmuck ekes out a living selling signatures? What, is the guy taking money out of Jeter's pocket? Taking away a business opp? No and no. And if that was the case, Jeter could simply be polite about it and make a blanket announcement or deal with it like a gentleman. Cary Grant did not sign autographs but he was unfailingly nice to the people who asked. Ringo Starr until relatively recenty signed TTM and when he decided to quit he made a video about it and posted it all over the place just to alert fans not to send him more stuff. Derek Jeter is bigger than a Beatle?!?! Bigger than Ali, as Travis pointed out? There was a recent story about George Clooney in a restaurant in Europe where he thought that his party might have been too loud so he surreptitiously picked up the dinner tab for the table next to his. It's called "class" and Jeter and the rest of the A-hole Brigade don't have it and never will.

The real bottom line about Jeter and the rest of them is what the late boxing broadcaster Nick Charles said was his philosophy: "Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him."
+1
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Would Babe Ruth or Dempsey have signed as much if they knew there was a huge market for their autograph? Would they have signed as much if there was ebay? How about if they had a memorabilia deal? Would they have signed as much if they kept seeing the same faces asking for autographs day after day? Times change, people change. Doesn't mean he's a jerk.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 AM

F#ck him and his memorabilia deal. Ultimately, his fans put every single cent he makes into his pocket.
If he can't give a bit back, he's a jerk.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Default JimStinson

Anyone that would drive through downtown Tampa at 3 am for ANYTHING is NUTS..
Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

His "fans" aren't the ones in line for the most part. I live in downtown Toronto. A block from the Air Canada Center where the NBA and NHL teams play, and also a block from the hockey hall of fame. It's always the same faces with binders of stuff standing out there every time something is going on. I can tell if a team is staying at a certain hotel just by the same clowns standing outside. I see his point.

Last edited by Jim F; 02-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

IMO hes WAY over rated - i dont one even 1 card of his and dont want any.

Yea im no yankee fan, but i have other yankee cards, Ruth, mantle, berra & arod.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
His "fans" aren't the ones in line for the most part. I live in downtown Toronto. A block from the Air Canada Center where the NBA and NHL teams play, and also a block from the hockey hall of fame. It's always the same faces with binders of stuff standing out there every time something is going on. I can tell if a team is staying at a certain hotel just by the same clowns standing outside. I see his point.
yes it's getting worse and worse and this has become a job to many of these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post

Yea im no yankee fan, but i have other yankee cards, Ruth, mantle, berra & arod.
them are fighting words to yankees fans.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Steve Zarelli

Never heard a bad word about Mariano Rivera signing. He signs in crowds, occasionally TTM, and does public signings with relatively sane prices.

And he's a way better pitcher than Jeter is a shortstop.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:

How is he overrated? One of the greatest Yankees ever, let alone a model of consistency on the field as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

+2
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:

I have no interest in Jeter's autograph but overrated? The guy is going to end up 3rd or 4th on the all-time hit list.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

Guys have attitudes no matter what sport.

1973 My family had moved to Dalton Ma. That fall the town hosted the ISDT a six day motorcycle race. First time ever in the US. And a huge deal to a JR high boy.
The motorcycles were impounded each night. Only a brief time allowed in the morning for repairs. The riders left the impound through a chain link bordered path leading into the team area all of it in the middle of the tradeshow.

Of course we wanted autographs! Especially of the US guys. The Pentons who were sons of the owner of the company that made the team bikes.
And both of them were whiny jerks. (We used other words, yeah even in JR High.)
"Sorry guys my hand hurts" or "sorry, my wrist" One guy had no outward signs of a problem, the other just a bandaid. Heck, maybe I could get out of homework if I had a bandaid on my hand.....

The Russian guy however...........Broken arm. Still riding. We figured there was no way he was signing at all. He had a cast, and had just done a solid 8 hours of advanced trail riding.

He looked at the gauntlet of kids and whistled to the mechanic. Who brought him a pen that fit perfectly into a socket molded into his cast. Then he signed for everyone. Hardly what we expected - We had a kids eye view of Russians as the scary comunists who ruled most sports except baseball football and maybe basketball.

I don't recall his name, but still have the autographs. and program somewhere.
And a very long lasting memory about someone who really went beyond what was necessary and provided a great example to a bunch of kids.

Maybe they should find him and hire him to give the guys like Jeter a talking to?

Steve B
PS the East Germans were also pretty gracious when dads car rolled into their equipment van at one of the banquets...