NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default Surface Ink Added

I just saw a recent post with a 1915 Joe Jackson card that had the "Surface Ink Added" label which brought to mind this question. I have never fully understood why some cards get a numerical grade with noticeable ink/pencil marks on the card and others get the "A" "Surface Ink Added" label?

I can certainly understand if someone is trying to be deceptive in trying to match color ink to make the card appear as original and unaltered. But when it is blatant and clearly can be seen as ink/pencil, why the "A"?

I'm sure there is some logical explanation.

Here are two with pencil. The Wilhelm has it on the border and "B", and the Shean, well I'm sure you can find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilhelm suffered version.jpg (42.7 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg SHEAN cubs.jpg (22.5 KB, 261 views)
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I think

I think that if a mark or color was added to hide something, or re-color an area that lost color, the card will get an AUT. If the mark is just a stray mark, and the intent was clearly not to "fix" some blemish, then it will get a #, albeit a lower one than without the mark. regards

edited to add, I have a feeling the one that got an AUT might have other color added other than the pencil mark that can be seen....

Last edited by Leon; 07-30-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Barry Arnold

Default ink

i'm with Leon on this one but i must say that this 'mark'/'writing' issue still is full of ambiguity in the minds of graders---except for perhaps SGC which hates it and grades accordingly no matter how beautiful the card may be.
forgive the obvious 'sour grapes.

best,
barry
Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 PM
James Gallo

The Jackson had ink in a grey area, I tried to scrap it off, but I just couldn't do enough and if I had pushed any more I might have torn the paper. In hindsight I should have left it alone.

I agree with the posts above, if it is trying to hide damage it will get AUTH, regardless SGC is very rough on pen while PSA will just give it the mark qualifier.

James G
Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default color added

One more tidbit. The Wilhelm (T205) above looks like it has had color added to the chip in the "B". I don't think the flip would say "surface ink added" if it was only for the amateurish recoloring, in pencil, of his hat. regards
Old 08-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
One more tidbit. The Wilhelm (T205) above looks like it has had color added to the chip in the "B". I don't think the flip would say "surface ink added" if it was only for the amateurish recoloring, in pencil, of his hat. regards
Leon,
The color added to the "B" is from the pencil that made that hole. Actually, it looks like it could have been caused by a magnifying glass that burnt a hole rather than pencil mark hole. What ever it was, it goes through the card (like a pin hole). According to the person that submitted this card, SGC stated that it had pencil marks on the border. No other color was added, not even to the hat. Which was why I made the initial post. Again, I could see the argument if recoloring was done to make it appear better than it really was. Where do you think color was added in the hat area?

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 08-01-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: updated information
Old 08-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Leon,
The color added to the "B" is from the pencil that made that hole. Actually, it looks like it could have been caused by a magnifying glass that burnt a hole rather than pencil mark hole. What ever it was, it goes through the card (like a pin hole). According to the person that submitted this card, SGC stated that it had pencil marks on the border. No other color was added, not even to the hat. Which was why I made the initial post. Again, I could see the argument if recoloring was done to make it appear better than it really was. Where do you think color was added in the hat area?

r/
Frank
So if the B to the left (as we look at it) of his cap is a hole, and now we know SGC said there was pencil added to the borders, then that is the reason. If you have chips out of a T205 border, they look white. If you take a pencil to them and make them look darker, then that would in effect enhance the look of the card, hence the AUT grade. That would be my guess......regards

edited to add- I thought the color was added to the big B to the left of the hat, not in the hat area (which was just done for fun) , but if it is darker looking because it's a hole then that dismisses that thought.

Last edited by Leon; 08-01-2010 at 08:56 AM.