NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Never thought I'd have another - T209 Presley/Pritchard combo, horizontal pose

I won this tonight and probably destroyed someone's set dreams. I sold a nicer version of this card about 6 years ago on this board and now happy to have an example back(I paid a hefty premium for condition). I am a Virginian and lived in Roanoke so I do collect Roanoke players.

Now, this is the 4th example of this card I've seen. Can we discuss it's scarcity/rarity? The four I know of were:

1. One that sold in an REA auction
2. The previous example of mine sold on this forum. I bought it at an antique shop in Salem VA for $25
3. Another owned by a net54 member(Shammus?)
4. The copy I just purchased

I'm sure there are more and I don't do the tpg thing so haven't looked at pop reports. Please share scans of your examples and let see about how many are out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.4 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by Tao_Moko; 07-21-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Update info
Old 07-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Yep I had one for a few years. It was in a PSA 4 holder. If I remember correctly, Zach Rice bought one off eBay a few years back as well
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Jason Wells

Sweet card.I might have put in another bid if I knew it was that rare.At least it went to a fellow Virginia Baseball collector.Great pickup.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Mark Fox

I mentioned it in the Pickup thread, I was the under bidder on that last night. I have to blame a poor cell data connection for my inability to bidder higher, I desperately wanted to.

Congrats!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I mentioned it in the Pickup thread, I was the under bidder on that last night. I have to blame a poor cell data connection for my inability to bidder higher, I desperately wanted to.

Congrats!
So I got lucky! I have found two so they are out there and you will come across one(hopefully prettier example). There are more to be uncovered in the VA and NC region and I think we'll see them in the future. Thank you for your good sportsmanship and bad cell coverage.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post

Congrats!
Was it AT&T? If so, you'd probably have been better off with a pair of coffee cans w/a string between them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-22-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Congratulations, Eric. I was going to bid on it but was on vacation and forgot!

The Presley-Pritchard card in my collection came from the Joe Pelaez collection sold by REA in 2012. And I know of other collectors who own the card. So it would be difficult to assess how many known examples exist.

Is it scarce/rare? I would say that it is as scarce as most of the cards in the set. One indication of the overall scarcity of the set is the fact that there are so few T209-IIs offered for sale in auctions or on eBay. B. E. Thompson is also scarce, but there are dozens of other players whose card is scarcel. (There are some very rare cards and you can discover these by reading the article I co-wrote with Tim Newcomb in Old Cardboard, #28, Fall 2012).

The other fact that bears mentioning, and your newly acquired card is a good example: whenever these cards appear, no matter the condition, if I need the player, I try to acquire it. If I don't, I may not see that card again for years. Condition is not a factor for me, and that is something that was evident when I had the opportunity of looking at all 219 cards in Joe's collection. He had everything from Ex to P-minus 2!

I've attached a copy of my P-P, and an example of one of my beaters, Gatch (Goldsboro). I'll gladly trade my Gatch for a better example and throw in some cash if someone has one!

Finally, I am working on a website devoted to T209 and Southern Minor Leaguers. If I weren't having so much fun this summer, I might have the site ready to launch! But, I will let everyone know when it's ready.

Thanks for a good thread, and my apologies for being so long-winded.

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg presley-pritchard.jpg (80.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Gatch.jpg (85.3 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by Michael Peich; 07-22-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Answers

I have recieved a few questions about the card so figured I'd link this great resource thanks to some of our own : http://t209-contentnea.com/t209-cont...-photo-series/
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Thanks for your input and I'll track down a copy of #28 because I'm chomping at the bit to read it now. At least yor Pelaez P-P wasn't run over by a tractor trailer. I agree that you had better buy when you can and set aside condition as a factor. I've assumed that the reason we don't see many examples of this card is that they are held up in collections, but I wonder how many.......20ish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Congratulations, Eric. I was going to bid on it but was on vacation and forgot!

The Presley-Pritchard card in my collection came from the Joe Pelaez collection sold by REA in 2012. And I know of other collectors who own the card. So it would be difficult to assess how many known examples exist.

Is it scarce/rare? I would say that it is as scarce as most of the cards in the set. One indication of the overall scarcity of the set is the fact that there are so few T209-IIs offered for sale in auctions or on eBay. B. E. Thompson is also scarce, but there are dozens of other players whose card is scarcel. (There are some very rare cards and you can discover these by reading the article I co-wrote with Tim Newcomb in Old Cardboard, #28, Fall 2012).

The other fact that bears mentioning, and your newly acquired card is a good example: whenever these cards appear, no matter the condition, if I need the player, I try to acquire it. If I don't, I may not see that card again for years. Condition is not a factor for me, and that is something that was evident when I had the opportunity of looking at all 219 cards in Joe's collection. He had everything from Ex to P-minus 2!

I've attached a copy of my P-P, and an example of one of my beaters, Gatch (Goldsboro). I'll gladly trade my Gatch for a better example and throw in some cash if someone has one!

Finally, I am working on a website devoted to T209 and Southern Minor Leaguers. If I weren't having so much fun this summer, I might have the site ready to launch! But, I will let everyone know when it's ready.

Thanks for a good thread, and my apologies for being so long-winded.

Cheers, Mike
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 PM

Hey Guys,
Here's mine....

Be well Brian

PS I agree with Mike... It's a tough card, but not as tough as some T209's...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Scott

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Weisner View Post
Hey Guys,
Here's mine....

Be well Brian

PS I agree with Mike... It's a tough card, but not as tough as some T209's...

That Presley and Pritchard is a real burner!!! Wow
Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

So they do make them in adult size grades nice card Brian, (my lame attempt to be Dorskind.)

Neat cards guys I want one now!

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 07-23-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
So they do make them in adult size grades nice card Brian, (my lame attempt to be Dorskind.)

Neat cards guys I want one now!

Cheers,

John
I've never seen a set wear it's creases so poorly. I'll remain the proud owner of the most infantile copy known for now.