NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-19-2021, 01:14 PM

Default Fixing corners

Are there any methods of fixing dinged corners that are considered ethical before submitting a card for grading? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2021, 03:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Are there any methods of fixing dinged corners that are considered ethical before submitting a card for grading? Thanks!
No but there are several unethical ways to fix them.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:55 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Hahahaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
no but there are several unethical ways to fix them.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
No but there are several unethical ways to fix them.
Thanks.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:37 AM
J0hn Collin$

I've never seen anything unethical about "flipping down" a dinged corner on a lower grade (and sometimes higher) card that is either raw or was slabbed "as-is". This is frustrating to me. I had a '48 Leaf Ted Williams that was a PSA 2.5, slabbed with a smashed lower left corner. I popped it, and "fixed" the corner by flipping it down. Submitted raw to SGC, where it remained a 2.5, with a much better looking corner. (The corner was not the problem leading to the grade.)

Somebody somewhere I'm sure would call this fraudulent, and label me a card doctor for such an action. If so, so be it. This specific example involves a PC card that is not going anywhere in any case. PSA thought it was a 2.5 even with a busted corner, SGC apparently could not tell that anything had been done to the corner and also thought it was a 2.5. I don't know how prevalent something like this is with lower grade cards on the whole, but figuring I'm not the first person to have ever flipped a corner down.

If with other means of "fixing" a corner you add color or paper stock, that's generally going to be looked upon as taboo by any grader worth their fees.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-22-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:54 PM
Albert Bee

Default corner

Oh yes, Ive casually flipped over a bad corner on a card, then casually squeezed it in a 2 ton press between to sheets of hard plastic..then casually put it back in a holder
Old 02-22-2021, 04:58 PM
Ben W.hitener

Maybe ask PSA what they used on mine to “fix” a corner damaged during sonic sealing.
Spoon perhaps

Old 02-22-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I've never seen anything unethical about "flipping down" a dinged corner on a lower grade (and sometimes higher) card that is either raw or was slabbed "as-is". This is frustrating to me. I had a '48 Leaf Ted Williams that was a PSA 2.5, slabbed with a smashed lower left corner. I popped it, and "fixed" the corner by flipping it down. Submitted raw to SGC, where it remained a 2.5, with a much better looking corner. (The corner was not the problem leading to the grade.)

Somebody somewhere I'm sure would call this fraudulent, and label me a card doctor for such an action. If so, so be it. This specific example involves a PC card that is not going anywhere in any case. PSA thought it was a 2.5 even with a busted corner, SGC apparently could not tell that anything had been done to the corner and also thought it was a 2.5. I don't know how prevalent something like this is with lower grade cards on the whole, but figuring I'm not the first person to have ever flipped a corner down.

If with other means of "fixing" a corner you add color or paper stock, that's generally going to be looked upon as taboo by any grader worth their fees.
Thanks for the response. I don't see anything wrong with flattening a corner either. I've done it myself (without much success) but I never submit cards for grading. I was asking for a friend who thinks his Gretzky rookie would be a 7 or 8 if not for one corner.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Maybe ask PSA what they used on mine to “fix” a corner damaged during sonic sealing.
Spoon perhaps

Did they fix the corner or is it just held in place by the holder? And did they grade as if the corner is damaged? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:43 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Spoon perhaps

Exactly to my point. PSA themselves does this too.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Exactly to my point. PSA themselves does this too.
Exactly, if PSA does it, it has to be OK.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:43 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Oh yes, Ive casually flipped over a bad corner on a card, then casually squeezed it in a 2 ton press between to sheets of hard plastic..then casually put it back in a holder
Must remember to add the "wink" emoji (like so).
Old 02-23-2021, 08:20 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Exactly, if PSA does it, it has to be OK.
My point is simply that if I do something to a card which literally leaves no trace that a PSA or SGC can detect, I don't see how that's a problem. It's basically handling the card. I'm not using a marker or a brush or an exacto knife to do something to the corner to alter its original state. I won't go so far as to get into a "Conservation" argument like PWCC did, but issues resulting from handling of cards are something that TPG's should be able to detect. My aim with flipping a corner is not to try to improve a grade, or indeed to try to get any certain grade.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-23-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

The problem is that pretty much anything gets by PSA and SGC and Beckett.

PSA has so many that got by that should have been obvious that I have to think they either just can't spot even passably competent alterations, or are part of the problem.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:34 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The problem is that pretty much anything gets by PSA and SGC and Beckett.
I would disagree with that statement in the absence of additional context.

Maybe if you are PWCC or Probstein anything gets by? I know way too many average Joe collectors who routinely get stuff rejected as altered or slabbed "AA" by PSA.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-23-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:43 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Did they fix the corner or is it just held in place by the holder? And did they grade as if the corner is damaged? Thanks.
Remind me, was this a hockey card or something and had a seperate thread devoted to it once upon a time? I seem to remember something about this.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:46 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Would be interesting

Quote:

Maybe if you are PWCC or Probstein anything gets by? I know way too many average Joe collectors who routinely get stuff rejected as altered or slabbed "AA" by PSA.
to see % of cards getting numeric grades vs rejected as well as percentages of numeric grade distribution reported by submitter for the top 50 (by dollar volume) vs. a random sampling of 50 other submitters. Oh sorry, daydreaming for a second.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:22 PM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:
PSA fixed the bent corner and the PSA 8 71 OPC #594 remained a PSA 8 after fixing.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:29 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
PSA fixed the bent corner and the PSA 8 71 OPC #594 remained a PSA 8 after fixing.
I think yours may be the post I was remembering. Here's what I don't understand:

If a card has a flipped corner that is "fixed", isn't that "layering" that would be obvious at that corner? Back in the late 80's / early 90's - "layering" was supposedly an obvious flaw that resulted in a steep downgrade. So would PSA fix the corner and say that they could not tell it was layered? If people fix their own corners and press them just so - is that not still layering?

For the record on the '48 Ted Williams I mentioned I did not press the corner. I simply flipped it down. Put the card in a Card Saver I, packed well, sent to SGC, and then (back in the days of somewhat normalcy...) I had it back 3 weeks or so later and it was graded a 2.5. My understanding since PSA had also rendered the same grade with an obviously layered and much worse looking corner is that it can be as layered as it wants to be and still get a 2.5. But for cards like that to get an 8? Not saying it's wrong, just wondering. I had a '68 Willie Stargell I sold once after busting it from a PSA 7 slab (I'm weird...) and it had the same type of mild layering along with I think some edge damage on the back. The buyer flipped out at that and sent it back to me, saying no way was that a NM card. Upon closer inspection I agreed with him. So now I still have that card lol.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-24-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Remind me, was this a hockey card or something and had a seperate thread devoted to it once upon a time? I seem to remember something about this.
A hockey card, yes (Gretzky rookie) but I haven't posted about it before. It's not my card & I haven't even seen it.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Isn't it enough that thousands of altered cards got by them regularly and probably still do?
And if as you think it's "only" PWCC or Probstein, that would mean PSA and at least SGC are complicit. Not exactly a positive thing.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Isn't it enough that thousands of altered cards got by them regularly and probably still do?
And if as you think it's "only" PWCC or Probstein, that would mean PSA and at least SGC are complicit. Not exactly a positive thing.
My point was simply that cards are rejected, and labeled "altered" regularly. Are things "getting by" and receiving number grades too? Probably, I don't know. If that is the case I'm sure it is indeed more than just two large well known dealers.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
My point was simply that cards are rejected, and labeled "altered" regularly. Are things "getting by" and receiving number grades too? Probably, I don't know. If that is the case I'm sure it is indeed more than just two large well known dealers.
You weren't aware of this? And this is only one thread, 289 pgs worth. There are others.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614
Old 02-24-2021, 12:38 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
You weren't aware of this? And this is only one thread, 289 pgs worth. There are others.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614
Oh good grief. I'm totally aware of it. Steve's statement was that "everything" gets by. That's not true. Sorry, I take things literally sometimes.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-24-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Ok, maybe some stuff gets rejected. But so much that's obvious doesn't.
The Dover reprint cracker jack that didn't even have the perforations trimmed off.... (And isn't on cardstock that's even close. )
Old 02-25-2021, 11:42 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Ok, maybe some stuff gets rejected. But so much that's obvious doesn't.
The Dover reprint cracker jack that didn't even have the perforations trimmed off.... (And isn't on cardstock that's even close. )
I would have to think PSA grading a Dover reprint is an extreme anomaly, best case. But I don't doubt that it's happened. I saw a thread a while back about a fake '67 Topps Seaver RC that Beckett graded, I think as a 7 or 8. It was a good fake, but the color on the back was wrong, and there were light smudges to the facsimile signatures which are not present on real cards.

I am not missing your point, Steve. Slabgate, whatever you want to call it was a huge black eye on the hobby. I have no doubt that there are all kinds of altered cards still residing in numbered slabs today. It's really sad.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-25-2021 at 11:44 AM.