NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2021, 03:24 PM
Derek

"Crisp and sharp" used together.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Gem
Blazer
Sick
Pack fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 08:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I can stomach all of those annoying terms. Sellers like to hype their items by giving them extra attention in an effort to make them stand out from the pack.

But the words "Never Get Cheated" might be the one phrase that I can't stand to see any longer. It is such complete crap, not to mention an outright lie. Especially in regard to the proven altered cards that are sent back to them (for them to self-review).

It's akin to Lance Armstrong giving himself a PED test or Coach's Corner authenticating an autographed Baseball. Their catchphrase should be changed to read........... "If and when you do get cheated, don't come crying to us".

Last edited by perezfan; 03-03-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Anson

I also struggle with calling current players' chopped up uniform pieces and bats "relics" or "artifacts". It's not like you dug up the tomb of King Tut or Julius Caesar.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:45 AM

I can’t stand the “rocket”, “explosion”,and “fire “ emojis! I find it a little childish.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:46 PM
Frank Wakefield

PSA
SGC
Beckett
Professionally Graded
Investment / Investing
Gem
"as is"
find
"iconic" or "classic" when used on any card from the early 1970s and later.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-06-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I also struggle with calling current players' chopped up uniform pieces and bats "relics" or "artifacts". It's not like you dug up the tomb of King Tut or Julius Caesar.
They do have a better ring to them than the more accurate "vandalized laundry".
Old 03-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

I got a new one I’ve been seeing

* meat on the bone

Old 03-06-2021, 10:50 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I saw the term "Hyper-Rare" used for a few listings yesterday.

I guess I found it more amusing then annoying though.

Was tempted to contact the seller and ask: "I'm really interested in your item, but am concerned about it's behavioral problems. What do you think would be the best way to calm it down?"

This had me literally laughing out loud. Thank you Sir.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2021, 12:36 AM

FLASH SALE!

When a seller posts a card for 20 times what anyone would pay for it, then discounts it 85%. Still a rip-off.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Adam,

Thanks for a much-needed laugh. Do you mind if I borrow that quip every time somebody tries to get a discount, saying, "I have to get this item authenticated"? How does that mean that YOU expect me to deduct that money from the sale?!
By all means, use it.

One that I hear all the time in my practice (in regard to real estate transactions) that makes my teeth grind: flexibility. As in "does the seller have any flexibility?" Argh!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-08-2021, 12:13 AM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k6 View Post
FLASH SALE!

When a seller posts a card for 20 times what anyone would pay for it, then discounts it 85%. Still a rip-off.

Don’t forget the quick sale! Then they will put “ take it for $xx” . Like they are doing me a favor and letting me “take” it for this price.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:38 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Card is Clean......can't stand that one.

Collector Grade, AKA to me usually means trashed. lol
Old 03-08-2021, 07:52 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I can stomach all of those annoying terms. Sellers like to hype their items by giving them extra attention in an effort to make them stand out from the pack.

But the words "Never Get Cheated" might be the one phrase that I can't stand to see any longer. It is such complete crap, not to mention an outright lie. Especially in regard to the proven altered cards that are sent back to them (for them to self-review).

It's akin to Lance Armstrong giving himself a PED test or Coach's Corner authenticating an autographed Baseball. Their catchphrase should be changed to read........... "If and when you do get cheated, don't come crying to us".
PSA is such a joke! I've never seen such a bunch of inconsistent graders in all my life.
Just last night I decided to check out the latest PWCC auction and seen so many cards graded all over the place it wasn't even funny. Cards graded 5's that should be 3's and 3's that should be 5's.
Even PWCC writes occasionally in their descriptions that they don't understand the grades.
I don't purchase nor like PWCC but it's pretty bad when likely one of the biggest PSA supporters/sellers of their graded cards also notes this.

Last edited by irv; 03-08-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
To me it is easily Diamond cut. They are trying to make a severe flaw sound like a positive. Tilted cocked or miscut on an angle should be used it is a flaw don't try and make it sound like a positive.
Unless you collect them

Or not...
Old 04-23-2022, 06:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One further new piece of annoyance (thanks eBay for giving sellers new harassment tools) is being bombarded with "seller offered a 4% discount" PMs on every overpriced item I happen to watch. Got three of them today offering 4%, 4% and 6% discounts. Gee, thanks. 4% off 1000% overpriced is still ridiculous.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-23-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:57 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I think the one thing that drives me really nuts and is simply preying on the poorly informed is stating that your 9 OC is the “highest graded example in the world!” And you damn well know it’s not.

I love seeing this and noting there’s 211 7s and 82 8s, so no, you are not even close to the highest…you have a “creatively” graded 7.

That and how confusing the BCCG scale is for newbies, they should have an 11. Because your listed 10 on eBay is worth the plastic case only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 99305731-453C-43B2-8982-5737C9F3A168.jpeg (64.8 KB, 202 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-23-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

When sellers claim something like "there are only 10 copies in existence" because there are 10 cards in the PSA POP report. There's no regrading and 100% of cards are slabbed. Yep, that sounds right.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:11 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Maybe this has been covered but I think example is a bit odd for a card.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:51 PM
Al

“PSA ready” ya right! If it was PSA ready the seller would of submitted it already. To me that just means it’s a crappy card that the seller didn’t feel is worthy enough to send in to psa themselves!
Old 04-24-2022, 01:39 AM
Glyn Parson

Calling the SGC holder a tuxedo.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:45 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

The one that makes me cringe is "set break." What do I care if a card I'm interested in was once in a set?

It sounds more like the seller is bragging, as if to say, "I have a complete set and am breaking it up." Well, congratulations to you, I guess.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:31 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The one that makes me cringe is "set break." What do I care if a card I'm interested in was once in a set?

It sounds more like the seller is bragging, as if to say, "I have a complete set and am breaking it up." Well, congratulations to you, I guess.
A hobby "theme" that annoys me is how many seem super excited to get a card in a slab as if it will magically transform a card to a higher level of existence!

I hate when a grouping of unlike cards is referred to as a "set!"

Along the same lines at what point is a grouping of like cards a "partial" set? are 10 t206's a partial set????

I dislike "puffery" in most forms as well.

I can go on and on!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2022, 08:39 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post

I love it/hate it when I see "set break" in an Old Judge listing. Really, you had a complete set of Old Judges and you're now breaking it up? Either that, or the terms "set break" has lost all meaning.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:43 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
at what point is a grouping of like cards a "partial" set?
I figure about 20% is where I feel comfortable labeling it a partial set rather than a lot or group.

Or not...
Old 04-24-2022, 10:32 AM
Charles Jackson

One that I see come up a lot in REA descriptions is "honest corner wear".

Perhaps this means something, but to me its just a silly euphemism, and always gives me a chuckle.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:05 AM
Jeff Carlson

I heard one that really grated on me when I was at the Dallas Show in March. I was working through a box of vintage commons and the modern dealer at the next table was talking about breaking a case and he called the case hits "the kabooms." I am not particularly fond of the calling the prime cards "hits" but I accept it since there probably isn't a better, concise term for those cards.

But, to hear a grown man call them "kabooms" was just grating. I can see it being common among pre-teens, what with their less-than-fully developed language skills. But an adult? Yeesh.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:31 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

"Would be nrmt if not for missing half of card."
Old 04-24-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I heard one that really grated on me when I was at the Dallas Show in March. I was working through a box of vintage commons and the modern dealer at the next table was talking about breaking a case and he called the case hits "the kabooms." I am not particularly fond of the calling the prime cards "hits" but I accept it since there probably isn't a better, concise term for those cards.

But, to hear a grown man call them "kabooms" was just grating. I can see it being common among pre-teens, what with their less-than-fully developed language skills. But an adult? Yeesh.

That’s actually the name of certain insert cards from Panini products.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:37 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

You've been out bid!!!!!
Old 04-24-2022, 09:04 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post

Yep, as was said before that is the actual name of the case hit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8ED10A93-3D1E-4578-AD61-52177156DD34.jpeg (60.3 KB, 78 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:50 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

"Thank you for your patience during this time. Access to the site is restored but we understand that some users may still be experiencing issues. As such, in accordance with our Terms & Conditions, we are extending the auction in order to allow for uninterrupted access."