NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Richard Simon

Default This is what happens when the EMR team is disbanded on ebay

This beauty of a Mel Ott signature sold for $650 in early January, 2015.
The buyer had a feedback score of over 10,000!!
If the EMR team had still been in operation then no way would it have been sold. But the EMR team was costing ebay money, so ,,,,,,,
poof,,, they are gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ott-crap-ebay.jpg (76.9 KB, 257 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-17-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

As is always the case, it's about the $$...that Ott drawing is disgusting

Last edited by 7nohitter; 01-17-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Hate to not show sympathy, but anyone who buys a Mel Ott that looks like that, really needs the learning lesson. When they realize they got screwed, perhaps they will start doing their research before throwing money away in the future.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I agree that this is a sad and sorry situation concerning the EMR team, and that this Ott is a very bad item;however , shouldn't the buyer have some fault for not doing his due diligence prior to bidding on or purchasing this item to start with . There are endless resources available to research autographs.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I agree that this is a sad and sorry situation concerning the EMR team, and that this Ott is a very bad item;however , shouldn't the buyer have some fault for not doing his due diligence prior to bidding on or purchasing this item to start with . There are endless resources available to research autographs.

BINGO. I have learned the most important thing to do is research and due diligence and not rely on a "piece of paper". I thank people on here like Richard, Jim, Chris and others who try to tell people to do that. Any clown without cataracts or fading vision can see thats not close to an Ott. So, its not just the dealer or "10000 positive" feedback
Old 01-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

I agree 100%. It's hard to have sympathy for someone who spends that much money on ebay without doing research, but an even worse problem is the major AH's. I used to think forum members were crazy when they stated that only a small % of vintage collectors read our forum, but I now completely believe it. How else can you explain the thousands of $ people shell out on autographs in major AH's, just because they have a LOA? It's craziness. Few people here will buy a forgery, or anything that looks close to one, but they sell like hotcakes in all of the major auctions. The only way to explain it is that most of the major AH's customers don't even know we exist.

With the amount of time people spend on the internet, it's mind-boggling that people will spend thousands of dollars on crap and never run across this site first. Very weird.

Leon - why don't you advertise in the AH catalogs? (maybe you do and I haven't been looking?)
Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Richard Simon

FYI guys - the MB for this was $649.99, there was only one bidder. So perhaps most other interested collectors did do their due diligence, even though the winner obviously did not.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-17-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I've been saying that for years about buyers of crap like that!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Step back and look at that signature again. It's beautiful! Even pressure, smooth flow, clean background. I'm serious, it's a very nice signature. Much better than I could create.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
FYI guys - the MB for this was $649.99, there was only one bidder. So perhaps most other interested collectors did do their due diligence, even though the winner obviously did not.
But it came with an "8x10 iconic photo", which more than makes up for it.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
however , shouldn't the buyer have some fault for not doing his due diligence prior to bidding on or purchasing this item to start with . There are endless resources available to research autographs.
While it is true that it takes two to tango, my contempt for the criminal vermin forgers and distributors is far stronger than my disappointment with uneducated buyers.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:37 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
I agree with you Richard. It is possible that other bidders did their research, but also maybe this was the guy Barnum had in mind when he said, I believe, " There is a sucker born every minute"
Old 01-17-2015, 02:41 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I agree 100%. It's hard to have sympathy for someone who spends that much money on ebay without doing research, but an even worse problem is the major AH's. I used to think forum members were crazy when they stated that only a small % of vintage collectors read our forum, but I now completely believe it. How else can you explain the thousands of $ people shell out on autographs in major AH's, just because they have a LOA? It's craziness. Few people here will buy a forgery, or anything that looks close to one, but they sell like hotcakes in all of the major auctions. The only way to explain it is that most of the major AH's customers don't even know we exist.

With the amount of time people spend on the internet, it's mind-boggling that people will spend thousands of dollars on crap and never run across this site first. Very weird.

Leon - why don't you advertise in the AH catalogs? (maybe you do and I haven't been looking?)
I also agree with you Scott, but I tend to believe that most collectors still put more trust into a COA from the TPAs or AHs than they do the non printed ( on a certificate ), experienced and educated opinions on this forum from seasoned collectors.

Last edited by Klrdds; 01-17-2015 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I also agree with you Scott, but I tend to believe that most collectors still put more trust into a COA from the TPAs or AHs than they do the non printed experienced and educated opinions on this forum from seasoned collectors.
Agreed - but my point is that the people buying the bad LOA stuff from AH's probably aren't even aware of this forum.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
While it is true that it takes two to tango, my contempt for the criminal vermin forgers and distributors is far stronger than my disappointment with uneducated buyers.
I will agree with you there, Mr. Zipper.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
I agree with you Richard. It is possible that other bidders did their research, but also maybe this was the guy Barnum had in mind when he said, I believe, " There is a sucker born every minute"
Joe Bessimer said those famous words not PT.
What did Ebay get from disbanding the group. Cash, Cash and more Cash

Last edited by shelly; 01-17-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

I have rarely advertised anywhere concerning net54baseball. Just don't care to do it.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

I can only imagine the sh*t-storm that would result once some of the fish started showing up over here displaying their $10,000 pieces of garbage.

Probably best you continue your non-advertising policy.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
This beauty of a Mel Ott signature sold for $650 in early January, 2015.
The buyer had a feedback score of over 10,000!!
If the EMR team had still been in operation then no way would it have been sold. But the EMR team was costing ebay money, so ,,,,,,,
poof,,, they are gone.
It looks as if they started a Michael Jordan forgery then changed their mind.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Charlie

I don't even think the AH's would even let Leon advertise in their catalogs. They know that the experts here are 100 times better then theirs. Can you imagine how much more attention to their ineptitude that would create.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM

That funny Matt, it does look like the start of a bogus Jordan