NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Default T206 Sweet Caporal 649 Overprints

Hi folks, I am always looking to start a new subset of backs.

First, I am 25 cards of so from a complete Portrait Only subset (various backs).

I have ventured into a Polar Bear back subset of action poses.

Has anyone focused on a SC 649 OP subset and how difficult is it to do in low to mid grade (graded or raw)? It is a small subset.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:23 PM
S Gross

Dale,

Quite doable. I have done it (although have sold most of them), as many others. I think the big red overprint is kind of cool.

Johnson, portrait, and Mathewson, white cap are your biggies, then Lajoie, throw. The other HOFs, Bresnahan, G. Davis, Griffith, and Marquard aren't budget breakers. Commons are common, maybe Powers a tad more tough.

As far as cost, you probably don't have to worry much about any premium. It is an unfortunately unappreciated tougher back. So basically you can get them for any going basic price.

They are also out there, just hunting and patience, which is all part of the FUN.

Good luck
Old 08-16-2020, 05:58 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by taul166 View Post
Has anyone focused on a SC 649 OP subset and how difficult is it to do in low to mid grade (graded or raw)? It is a small subset.

Thanks.
About 8 years ago I started working on this subset. My goal was to assemble the subset in PSA 4 condition that also had nice centering and eye appeal. I spent 4 years tracking down 31 out of 34 cards. I'm only missing the Johnson, Lajoie, and Mathewson cards. During those 4 years, a few of each of those cards showed up but were either off center top to bottom or were very over priced. Since then, I kinda lost interest in the subset and bounced around to other parts of the set. At some point I'll try and complete the subset. I'm 6 cards away from the 520 set and the Johnson Portrait and the Mathewson White Cap are 2 of the 6 missing. So it would make sense for me to find the SC 649OP's of these 2 cards since I'd be checking them off of two checklists, my 520 set, and my SC 649OP set.

As far as difficulty, I wouldn't call any of them rare. They all seem to have been printed in fairly equal quantities. Hall Of Famer's are only difficult due to cost. Mike Powers would be my pick as the over all most difficult. It's the only card out of the 34 that is from the 150 Only Print Group. So technically it has the smallest print run when factoring in all possible card backs compared to other cards in the SC 649OP subset.

Chris (atx840) has a beautiful scan of this subset that he assembled, which at the time, inspired me to start my own subset. Hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing, but here's his scan of his subset collection that inspired me to start mine nearly 8 years ago. Before that, Me and Chris were both collecting Hal Chase Blue Portrait Back Runs. Once I couldn't afford anymore of the Hal Chase rare backs, I saw his SC 649OP scan, and found my next adventure. I recommend everyone check out Chris's other T206's. Lot's of collecting inspiration within the scans of his collection. https://www.flickr.com/photos/7321807@N05/sets/

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 08-16-2020, 02:48 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words Ron.

The 649s was a fun subset to go for, enough cards to keep it going for a while, the hunt of searching through "commons" looking for the OP and a handful of HOFs to make it a bit tougher to complete within a budget.

Taul I have a few duplicates if do decide to go for it.