NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-28-2023, 02:02 PM

Default Opinions on unopened 1984-85 wax packs.

I have a wax box of 1984-85 OPC hockey cards that have 43 of the 48 unopened wax packs (I was young and stupid and opened 5 packs). Would it make sense to buy 5 of the missing unopened wax packs, so I can have them authenticated as a whole unopened wax box by BBCE to hopefully get a higher price per pack and make selling them easier?

Thanks for any advice you are willing to offer.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:36 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Why not call BBCE and ask? They'd probably be able to give you the best advice. Although I believe with his deal with PSA, he can't verify individual packs unless they're submitted for PSA grading first.

So if you need to buy 5 unopened packs to have a Frankenbox that Steve can wrap, that's probably the best thing since otherwise you have no wrapping or you're paying like $35 a pack or more for PSA grading.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:41 PM
jim qu.inlisk

It's not an unopened box and you can't make it one. If you buy packs it will be a box of 48 packs, You might get more per pack but it's plenty dishonest. I would hope BBCE would be able to tell the difference. I would hate to buy a FrankenBox like that.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:27 PM
Jeremy K

Default Frankenboxes...

In the unopened community it is very well accepted to fill in a box with packs (which may be missing or have popped seals, etc) and have it wrapped. It is nothing that is considered dishonest.

It should generally be assumed that unless the BBCE label states that the box is "From a sealed case" (FASC) you are buying a box containing what Steve and Co consider to be unopened packs with no guarantees stated or implied that those are the packs original to the box. It seems to seem strange to those that are not well versed in that area that this is the case but it is. That is why some are willing to pay a premium for boxes noted as coming from a sealed case. That is the only way to ensure they are the packs original to the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq16415 View Post
It's not an unopened box and you can't make it one. If you buy packs it will be a box of 48 packs, You might get more per pack but it's plenty dishonest. I would hope BBCE would be able to tell the difference. I would hate to buy a FrankenBox like that.

Last edited by balltrash; 05-28-2023 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:15 PM

Thank you to everyone that posted advice.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:40 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I believe BBCE checks to see how the packs have nested over time. If you add packs and they are not nested the same way might be an issue.

I would call and ask…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:12 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by balltrash View Post
In the unopened community it is very well accepted to fill in a box with packs (which may be missing or have popped seals, etc) and have it wrapped. It is nothing that is considered dishonest.

It should generally be assumed that unless the BBCE label states that the box is "From a sealed case" (FASC) you are buying a box containing what Steve and Co consider to be unopened packs with no guarantees stated or implied that those are the packs original to the box. It seems to seem strange to those that are not well versed in that area that this is the case but it is. That is why some are willing to pay a premium for boxes noted as coming from a sealed case. That is the only way to ensure they are the packs original to the box.

This is 100% correct.
Just buy 5 clean unopened packs to replace what you opened and get the box wrapped by BBCE. If Steve has these in stock you can send him the box and he’ll add the 5 packs, wrap it, then charge you accordingly. This is completely normal to do and in no way “dishonest” as someone stated. I’ve been collecting/buying/selling /trading unopened for decades.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:34 AM
Dave

I'm sorry, if BBCE is claiming they can tell whether a specific group of packs is original to the exact box they are in, I believe that would take forensic pseudo-science to a whole new level.

Maybe they give each pack a lie detector test, to see if it's telling the truth.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:51 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I'm sorry, if BBCE is claiming they can tell whether a specific group of packs is original to the exact box they are in, I believe that would take forensic pseudo-science to a whole new level.

Maybe they give each pack a lie detector test, to see if it's telling the truth.
They authenticate them as such only if THEY open a factory sealed case. Then they are 100% positive that each box is virgin and as originally packed and they will wrap each box and state on the label that the box came from a sealed case. As previously stated, any other boxes they just inspect each pack and if their determination is that each pack is an unopened authentic pack, they wrap the box as such.

Last edited by rand1com; 05-29-2023 at 10:51 AM. Reason: content
Old 05-29-2023, 10:57 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
They authenticate them as such only if THEY open a factory sealed case. Then they are 100% positive that each box is virgin and as originally packed and they will wrap each box and state on the label that the box came from a sealed case. As previously stated, any other boxes they just inspect each pack and if their determination is that each pack is an unopened authentic pack, they wrap the box as such.
Sorry if I didn't clarify. I wasn't referring to FASC boxes, when I made my dumb joke.