NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-07-2023, 10:09 AM

Default Anyone collect signed photos anymore?

I noticed that on eBay signed 8x10s are selling so cheap right now (a buyers market) and I noticed at a card show I went to recently I didn’t see one signed photo in the entire show (and it was a HUGE show) so anyone still collect them?
Old 01-07-2023, 10:17 AM
Tim

I agree. 8 x 10 signed photos of players who made the show circuit in 80s and 90s are very cheap on eBay. In some cases the cost is the same or less than you would have paid for the auto ticket and 8 x 10 at the show. For a collector of autographs on this medium it definitely seems like a buyer’s market.

On the other hand autographs on vintage baseball cards have gone through the roof!
Old 01-09-2023, 05:01 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
I noticed that on eBay signed 8x10s are selling so cheap right now (a buyers market) and I noticed at a card show I went to recently I didn’t see one signed photo in the entire show (and it was a HUGE show) so anyone still collect them?
I have some notebooks full of autographed photos that I put out at the National and a Boston show I do once per year and rarely have anyone even look through them.

I guess the volume available just overwhelms the buyer market.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:35 AM

All the same, tired poses used for 8X10s signed on the show circuit over the last 40 years gets to be a bit repetitive. Nobody likes that. It's fully understandable that people have soured on them. Walking up to a dealer's table to see a binder of 150 8X10s with heavy duplication of a few common HOF names and familiar poses is an exercise in boredom.

Conversely, find me an 8X10 of a HOF player who died over 60 years ago and it's an entirely different feeling altogether. It's pretty hard to tire of something rarely encountered. I'm not talking Ruth, who is common in this format vs. most players who have been deceased for so long. Those don't tend to excite me. Give me an 8X10 of Kid Nichols, Eddie Collins...anything that you don't see very often.

And here's a hint to dealers: Don't put 50 copies of the same signed pose into one binder. People aren't going to be tempted to buy something that appears as common as toilet paper unless you're having a $1 sale. Idea #2: Have you been lugging those 100 Lou Boudreau 8X10s to every show since 1989 with no takers? Do yourself a favor and start giving them away to each kid under 10 who walks by your table. Your small gesture might help bring the love back for this dying medium to the demographic that is most needed to carry it forward. The kid's Dad might be more prone to buying something from you, and if giving away 100 signed photos manages to start even one young person on a lifelong road to autograph collecting, it will have been worthwhile.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-09-2023 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:07 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
All the same, tired poses used for 8X10s signed on the show circuit over the last 40 years gets to be a bit repetitive. Nobody likes that. It's fully understandable that people have soured on them. Walking up to a dealer's table to see a binder of 150 8X10s with heavy duplication of a few common HOF names and familiar poses is an exercise in boredom.

Conversely, find me an 8X10 of a HOF player who died over 60 years ago and it's an entirely different feeling altogether. It's pretty hard to tire of something rarely encountered. I'm not talking Ruth, who is common in this format vs. most players who have been deceased for so long. Those don't tend to excite me. Give me an 8X10 of Kid Nichols, Eddie Collins...anything that you don't see very often.

And here's a hint to dealers: Don't put 50 copies of the same signed pose into one binder. People aren't going to be tempted to buy something that appears as common as toilet paper unless you're having a $1 sale. Idea #2: Have you been lugging those 100 Lou Boudreau 8X10s to every show since 1989 with no takers? Do yourself a favor and start giving them away to each kid under 10 who walks by your table. Your small gesture might help bring the love back for this dying medium to the demographic that is most needed to carry it forward.
I agree that signed photos of more modern players(from the 80's on) seems to have cooled off. In part because autograph shows, autographs are events( store openings, car dealerships, etc) the autographs are so so common.
I agree that pre 1980 and from players passed away is still strong because of the rarity
Signed cards up until a few years ago was not as in demand as it is now and the prices are thru the roof

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-09-2023, 12:01 PM

I collect a lot of autographs, and I enjoy collecting vintage photos. The new stuff (1980 - on) not so much. I recently acquired the attached George Brace photo of Red Ruffing - it's an example of what I really enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140938643_2_x.jpg (152.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 140938643_4_x.jpg (66.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 01-09-2023, 08:50 PM
Chris Counts

I always have an eye out for signed snapshots from the 1930s through the 1950s. Here are a few of my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss dwalker.jpg (124.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg ss lenard.jpg (84.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Doby, etc. snapshot.jpg (140.3 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg ssherschberger.jpg (41.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Minnie Minoso ss.jpg (182.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 01-09-2023, 09:25 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I think I'm with most people in not caring for modern signed photos that are readily available, but love them for vintage etc.

I bought collections of signed photos from the 1931 and 1934 US Tours of Japan. Doesn't have Ruth of Gehrig, but here are a couple of examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mack, Connie 1934 US Tour of Japan Signed Photo.jpg (130.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7743.jpg (183.5 KB, 171 views)
Old 01-10-2023, 07:14 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

I collect signed & non signed snapshots. The images are more personal and different each time. The repetitiveness of 8x10s at shows is fatiguing. Easy skip.

Even if...it's a player I want to get auto 8x10, the show prices are freaking ridiculous! An inscription is almost the same amount as the auto itself.

Another factor is storage space. 8x10s take up more storage space than a 4x6, 3x5 etc snapshot photos.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 01-10-2023 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:15 PM
Doug Goodman

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned that autographs have become virtually unreadable. It seems that each year it gets worse.

I'll bet that nobody stares at the average current autograph the way we all stared at all of the ones in this thread...

Actually, people do stare at newer autographs - in disbelief.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-10-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:48 PM

Doug,

As I've written elsewhere, I was always a "completest" collector: I wanted an autograph of every man to ever play in the Majors. While a complete collection is an impossible undertaking, I made very strong headway.

By the 1990's, the new players' signatures were becoming truly disgusting. Not as bad as the garbage from today's kids, but horrid enough that I finally said "Enough!". Sometime during that decade, I made the decision to stop wanting the modern autographs altogether and set a target end date with all the year 2000 debuts. That year had a very defining "The End" feeling, so a perfect finishing point. Coincidentally, I also lost any and all interest in following baseball around the same time the autographs started getting too nasty to enjoy. The 1994 strike was the nail in the coffin there.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-10-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:09 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned that autographs have become virtually unreadable. It seems that each year it gets worse.

I'll bet that nobody stares at the average current autograph the way we all stared at all of the ones in this thread...

Actually, people do stare at newer autographs - in disbelief.
This is something I've talked about in past threads. The new signatures are quite frankly terrible. We are long gone from the days of the picture perfect penmanship of guys like Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, etc. I was at one point, interested in acquiring a Mike Trout signature, until I saw what it looked like. Absolutely terrible.

Back to the point at hand, I've collected some 8x10's, Mantle, Williams, and Aaron, mostly because of their prices. I think at this point I'd rather have them on baseballs though however.

As for their signature on cards? At this point, forget it. I wish I was around in the 60's and 70's when everything I wanted was available on the cheap!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-10-2023 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:41 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i come from cards so i prefer signed pictures/photo over index and gpc anyways.

a new pickup, always nice to be able to get something from the esteemed Mr. Stinson.

Old 01-13-2023, 02:28 PM
Curran Wilkinson

I still collect signed 8x10 photos but only if they’re personalized to me OR if they’re from older HOF players. My bank account thanks me for not being interested in awful illegible current player autographs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE14ED54-0CCF-481B-B8FA-5E54F43340C5.jpg (196.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:01 PM

^^^

Photos like that will never grow tiresome to look at.

If I ever see another signed 8X10 of Cool Papa Bell as an older man holding that oversized, novelty Willie Mays bat, or the Buck O'Neil where he has one knee on the top step of the dugout, or that colorized Ray Dandridge image, or the sepia toned Leon Day... It's like nobody ever took any other photos of these men. Same feeling applies to the higher quality photos of MLB players used ad nauseum for signing purposes at shows.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-13-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:17 PM
Hank Thomas

Phil Wood, a well-known Baltimore/Washington radio and TV guy, likes to tell the story of a show he promoted at George Mason University in Virginia in 1978, I think it was. It was well attended, with Joe DiMaggio the autograph guest attraction. The only problem was that few collectors would pay the $7 fee to get Joltin' Joe's signature. Phil said that he would look over and see DiMaggio sitting by himself behind his table and go over and chat with him because he felt sorry for him. People would come up to Phil and accuse him of highway robbery for wanting money for an autograph, vowing that they would never, ever stoop to paying to get a ballplayer's signature. I've heard other stories like that from the early days: people complaining about having to spend $5 to get Mickey Mantle at a show. Now they line up to spend hundreds for an illegible scrawl from relative nobodies whose name will never be mentioned in the same breath with the likes of DiMaggio and Mantle.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:35 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Phil Wood, a well-known Baltimore/Washington radio and TV guy, likes to tell the story of a show he promoted at George Mason University in Virginia in 1978, I think it was. It was well attended, with Joe DiMaggio the autograph guest attraction. The only problem was that few collectors would pay the $7 fee to get Joltin' Joe's signature. Phil said that he would look over and see DiMaggio sitting by himself behind his table and go over and chat with him because he felt sorry for him. People would come up to Phil and accuse him of highway robbery for wanting money for an autograph, vowing that they would never, ever stoop to paying to get a ballplayer's signature. I've heard other stories like that from the early days: people complaining about having to spend $5 to get Mickey Mantle at a show. Now they line up to spend hundreds for an illegible scrawl from relative nobodies whose name will never be mentioned in the same breath with the likes of DiMaggio and Mantle.
An interesting story, even when you adjust for inflation, a Joe DiMaggio auto at that price would be $31.42 in todays money. Perfectly reasonable, virtually everyone can afford it.

It's hard not to bring up money when it comes to the hobby, but I truly think things have gotten so out of hand. Kids cannot afford it, hell many adults can't either. I think the last signing for trout, was $700 a ball, $800 if you wanted an inscription. How's a 12 year old with a paper route supposed to afford that?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:40 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
And here's a hint to dealers: Don't put 50 copies of the same signed pose into one binder. People aren't going to be tempted to buy something that appears as common as toilet paper unless you're having a $1 sale. Idea #2: Have you been lugging those 100 Lou Boudreau 8X10s to every show since 1989 with no takers? Do yourself a favor and start giving them away to each kid under 10 who walks by your table. Your small gesture might help bring the love back for this dying medium to the demographic that is most needed to carry it forward. The kid's Dad might be more prone to buying something from you, and if giving away 100 signed photos manages to start even one young person on a lifelong road to autograph collecting, it will have been worthwhile.
Or how about just pricing them to move, whatever that might be? And if there's no price anybody will pay, by all means blow them out as above, or do a "Buy one, get one free" sign. Conversely, for collectors who are always starting "what's smart to buy now" threads, you could probably do worse than look for such bargains on selected players that don't have much demand now, but didn't live long enough to flood the market with so many thousands of the same photo that they will never be worth much. It doesn't make sense that 8x10s, which can make great wall displays, aren't sought after the way signed baseballs and cards are, it's just a matter of price and supply and demand. As for the modern players, with their two line scrawls and five-circle scribbles, they will be cranking those out for so long that when the apocalypse hits, their value will reside in stoking fires to keep people alive. I can see it now: "Honey, we need more kindling. Can I please have the Ohtanis and Sotos now?"

Last edited by Hankphenom; 01-13-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:46 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think the last signing for trout, was $700 a ball, $800 if you wanted an inscription. How's a 12 year old with a paper route supposed to afford that?
In the immortal words of Mark Zuckerberg: "Learn code."