NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2023, 07:39 PM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Default T206 collection for sale, what should I do? Photos added

So I am pretty sure I have a set including all but the big 5 AND I am pretty sure my Cobb green portrait is fake, Tolstoi back which doesn't exist, so 6 short.
Thinking of selling it, best advice?

bb

Last edited by biggies; 05-29-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Make sure the other big ones are real. If it's a non-existent back that it is the give away you might want to get some second opinions on the other stars.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:56 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggies View Post
So I am pretty sure I have a set including all but the big 5 AND I am pretty sure my Cobb green portrait is fake, Tolstoi back which doesn't exist, so 6 short.

bb
Option 1: Ideally, get the HOFers graded by PSA or SGC. The number of prospective buyers will increase, as will prices realized. Start with the three Cobb cards and the portraits of WaJo and Matty, at the very least.

Option 2: Have a reputable auction house look over the key cards. If they're confident these are real, the AH should be able to work with you to maximize hammer prices.

Option 3: Post pictures here of the Cobbs, Mattys, WaJos, and Demmitt/O'Hara (St. Louis). I'm pretty sure you'll get opinions regarding authenticity, as well as offers to buy, in very short order.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 05-28-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:59 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Option 1: Ideally, get the HOFers graded by PSA or SGC. The number of prospective buyers will increase, as will prices realized. Start with the three Cobb cards and the portraits of WaJo and Matty, at the very least.

Option 2: Have a reputable auction house look over the key cards. If they're confident these are real, the AH should be able to work with you to maximize hammer prices.

Option 3: Post pictures here of the Cobbs, Mattys, WaJos, and Demmitt/O'Hara (St. Louis). I'm pretty sure you'll get opinions regarding authenticity, as well as offers to buy, in very short order.
What Eric said! Ditto……
Old 05-28-2023, 08:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Take them to the National in a few months.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

bb
Find someone to authenticate them first, not necessarily a TPG, but someone who focuses on them....as in a ton of our members. If you can post some decent scans you will get good feedback here. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2023, 08:31 AM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Thanks for all the input
Old 05-29-2023, 08:57 AM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t .jpg (193.6 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg t1.jpg (194.3 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg t2.jpg (195.3 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg t3.jpg (195.0 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg t4.jpg (196.0 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg t5.jpg (195.1 KB, 582 views)
File Type: jpg t6.jpg (199.9 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg t7.jpg (195.1 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg t8.jpg (193.3 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg t9.jpg (194.6 KB, 591 views)
Old 05-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Scott Russell

I'm a little concerned about the Wajo portrait.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-29-2023, 10:17 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

bb

You should probably have someone that knows T206's take a look at them. Just looking at the pictures you posted the Cobb (bat on), Matty (white cap) Covaleski, Cobb (green portrait), Cy Young (glove shows) and Jonson (portrait) are not original T206's.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:36 AM
Drew W@i$e

Consign to a major auction house. Don’t break up and sell individually, total pain. Let the ah do the work for you.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:41 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I'm a little concerned about the Wajo portrait.
Me too. Has that grainy look, like many other fakes.

Depending on how quick you are looking to sell, I would list them as singles either here or on one of the main facebook groups. You would probably make the most and not have any fee's. The very low and damaged HOF cards, I wouldn't bother spending the extra money to grade them, since they are binder card condition, and will likely just get cracked out again. The major HOF cards and rarities you could grade or not grade. But I'd only grade if I thought the card would get a 2 or higher.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-29-2023, 10:41 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Consign to a major auction house. Don’t break up and sell individually, total pain. Let the ah do the work for you.
+1 agree

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-29-2023, 10:52 AM

That green back Cobb is as fake as a fake could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibechillin33 View Post
That green back Cobb is as fake as a fake could be
Unfortunately, as others have already mentioned, so is your Walter Johnson portrait.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
You should probably have someone that knows T206's take a look at them. Just looking at the pictures you posted the Cobb (bat on), Matty (white cap) Covaleski, Cobb (green portrait), Cy Young (glove shows) and Jonson (portrait) are not original T206's.
I agree with Pat, except I believe the Covaleski looks original to me.

Brian
Old 05-29-2023, 12:34 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I agree with Pat, except I believe the Covaleski looks original to me.

Brian
After seeing your post, I went back and looked again, since I only looked at the Johnson Portrait because of the earlier mention, and yes, Pat is likely right, but that Covaleski is 50/50. I'd have to have it in hand or figure out the back picture to be sure.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-29-2023, 12:56 PM
John P0we11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
After seeing your post, I went back and looked again, since I only looked at the Johnson Portrait because of the earlier mention, and yes, Pat is likely right, but that Covaleski is 50/50. I'd have to have it in hand or figure out the back picture to be sure.

Curious what you guys are seeing with the Cobb bat on makes you think it isn’t original? The others are pretty obvious, but I wouldn’t have picked out that bat on as a fake……that said I’m still learning about the set and am a novice at best.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I shoulda looked more carefully, Milkman Young and White Cap Matty Jump out at you. I'd like to see the Cobb Bat On in hand. The name on the Covaleskie looks awfully black. OP did know that the Green Cobb was no good.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 05-29-2023, 02:54 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

I would break it with an auction house that would sell most of the cards individually.

That won't happen with the major auction houses but some of the legitimate smaller ones would be willing to break it. Obviously, they will most likely want to lot up the cards that have parts missing into a large lot but any complete cards that are authentic could be sold individually.

With the unauthentic cards mentioned by others being some of the high dollar cards in the set, I don't think selling the group as a partial set makes sense from a value standpoint. There are too many very low grade cards based on your pictures if they represent the set overall.

You should be able to get favorable seller fees of perhaps 0 with a smaller auction house because even in low grade, over 500 T206 cards have decent value.

If you sell them on your own, I would grade the HOFERS that would grade 2 or above and probably the high dollar cards even if only 1 or authentic.

Good luck with the near set.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:25 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
I would break it with an auction house that would sell most of the cards individually.

That won't happen with the major auction houses but some of the legitimate smaller ones would be willing to break it. Obviously, they will most likely want to lot up the cards that have parts missing into a large lot but any complete cards that are authentic could be sold individually.

With the unauthentic cards mentioned by others being some of the high dollar cards in the set, I don't think selling the group as a partial set makes sense from a value standpoint. There are too many very low grade cards based on your pictures if they represent the set overall.

You should be able to get favorable seller fees of perhaps 0 with a smaller auction house because even in low grade, over 500 T206 cards have decent value.

If you sell them on your own, I would grade the HOFERS that would grade 2 or above and probably the high dollar cards even if only 1 or authentic.

Good luck with the near set.
Want a job? LOL well said.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:02 PM
Brian K

Default All that said.....

Auction house is probably your best bet. Especially with how prices are going, invest in the grading of your blue chip cards to maximize your payout.

That said, if you want to know where some of your cards are going, while making a lot of friends here on the board, open it up to the group, at least you'll know they are staying "in the family."

That said that said, I'm only 55 cards away from finishing off my T206 set and would be happy to send my list over..... HA!!
Old 05-30-2023, 08:09 AM
Frank Wakefield

You have reached a point where you NEED a black light. You can find several options on Amazon, and have it in hand in 2 or 3 days. They are inexpensive.

If you send the cards to an auction house, you'll always wonder about the green Cobb, the Johnson portrait, and a few others. If any of them fluoresce when illuminated with a black light, then you will see that yourself, rather than trust others. A black light will cost you between about $8 and $28... and the results aren't iffy... You can shine uv light on one of those sheets in a dark room (doesn't have to be total darkness), the real cards will look dull, the reprints will blaze with purple light.

Get a black light.

Green Cobb isn't right. It'll either fluoresce, bright purple, or if it doesn't then it's the result of skinning real cards and putting pieces together. To me, from the pics, at least the front will fluoresce, and probably the back, too.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:26 PM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Thanks
Old 05-30-2023, 02:10 PM
Brendan Mullen

I see multiple fakes in there. I don't think you necessarily need a black light. You need to study the cards and know what you are buying. I've held thousands and never used a blacklight.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:11 PM
Frank Wakefield

But he hasn't, and he does need a black light because of that lack of experience.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
...You need to study the cards and know what you are buying...
Bingo. This is important on several levels, such as: spotting fakes; detecting alterations; handling the cards without causing damage; knowing how much to offer.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra