NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2019, 04:45 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Default PWCC Black Swamp crossover

Well, given the goings-on, this one seems incredibly suspect.

You'd think with the scandal, he'd be the last guy cracking a BSF card and resubmitting for a better grade.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/143369804627
Old 09-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It's a great looking card. Maybe the original holder got scratched or otherwise defaced? Hard to imagine cracking that one.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:37 AM
pete ullman

in my opinion these would be some of the easier cards to trim/alter...based on the skill of the doctors we've seen so far...and in light of how pristine most were when discovered.

Last edited by ullmandds; 09-01-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

They sold the same card in July.

Apparently.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...ction/2782195/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-01-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:42 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

you mean "sold" or did they actually sell it?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Once a card enters the vault, transparency of subsequent transactions vanishes like those stock certificates we used keep for our cherished assets. I wonder if there is an operating room in the vault. “Trust me, I’m a card doctor.”

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Once a card enters the vault, transparency of subsequent transactions vanishes like those stock certificates we used keep for our cherished assets. I wonder if there is an operating room in the vault. “Trust me, I’m a card doctor.”
Is the Vault is a front for fake bids???....keep pumping back in the vault unless a sucker comes in hot last minute

Terrible

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-01-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Barry Sloate

What's the over/under on that 30K price? I say it sells for less.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
What's the over/under on that 30K price? I say it sells for less.
sells...or "sells" barry????
Old 09-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

I just don't see how any major hobby collector would be unaware of the scandal, and then assuming they're aware, how they'd confidently buy a PWCC crossover cracked out of the BSF? At least in the original BSF slab you can trust PWCC didn't have card doctors with access to it.

Now that it's seen open air and been in their hands, this one in my view loses all credibility
Old 09-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Haven't a clue.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Lonnie Nagel

WOW - an amazing card

absolutely correct on the question of "why on earth would anyone have that reholdered"

(I bid the $5000 on it - just cuz it was fun to do)
Old 09-01-2019, 11:37 AM

New flip, yes. But how do you know it’s a BSF cross over?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:38 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Because a card of that quality did not exist before the find.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:
in my opinion these would be some of the easier cards to trim/alter...based on the skill of the doctors we've seen so far...and in light of how pristine most were when discovered.
The skill? of the Doctors?

You mean to say the ease with which a piece of cardboard can be fixed up.

What a joke these "goings-on" are nutin is going to befall PWC or anyone else I am sick to my big belly over it. Meanwhile consumption is on the rise!
Old 09-01-2019, 11:44 AM

I hear ya Pete. And it’s in a new flip, and certainly a card of this “caliber” would not be new to the market, without fanfare. But maybe it’s a non-BSF that found its way into that holder . And re BSF, why would anyone take it out of a BSF flip? The BSF provenance proves the validity of its authenticity (and grade, I guess).

I would love to see physical evidence that this was once in a BSF flip. And I would love to see the grade on the flip. Do we have that info? Could be a huge black eye for all involved; at least (black) eye opening

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-01-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 AM
pete ullman

It is absolutely 100% from the Black Swamp find...there is no question about it

Last edited by ullmandds; 09-01-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Already over 10k.

Probably time to go looking for a BSF 7, 7.5, with some common traits. Beyond my skills, but sure looks look a crack and resubmit with some preferential treatment.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 PM
pete ullman

It’s ironic how lately with all of the corruption in the hobby... provenance Is of even more importance these days ... yet there are still people out there who believe these cards are not real... and there are others like myself who don’t place as high a value on these cards because such a significant number of high-grade examples were found. So actually disassociating certain cards from the find could help their resale value...imo.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
I think just reholder - not crossover

cobb

Cobb Crop

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 09-01-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Nice, that’s the pic I was looking for. BUT, I don’t understand why someone would take it out of a BSF flip to put in another flip without the BSF designation and a new cert number. I am not a submitter, so I don’t know how it works, but a new cert# means someone cracked it out, submitted it raw, and paid substantial fees to have it graded anew, no?

It’s one thing to get rid of the BSF designation, which I don’t think makes much sense. But an entirely different thing to crack, submit, and pay for this card on a whole new review.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Nice, that’s the pic I was looking for. BUT, I don’t understand why someone would take it out of a BSF flip to put in another flip without the BSF designation and a new cert number. I am not a submitter, so I don’t know how it works, but a new cert# means someone cracked it out, submitted it raw, and paid substantial fees to have it graded anew, no?

It’s one thing to get rid of the BSF designation, which I don’t think makes much sense. But an entirely different thing to crack, submit, and pay for this card on a whole new review.
Someone could have simply sent it in for a reholder and requested a new cert # and to remove the BSF designation. I don't follow these closely but the few I've seen don't seem to command any special premium. Maybe the consignor thought it would do better without it.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Someone could have simply sent it in for a reholder and requested a new cert # and to remove the BSF designation. I don't follow these closely but the few I've seen don't seem to command any special premium. Maybe the consignor thought it would do better without it.
That could be. And Pete has suggested that perhaps the card is more valuable dissociated from the BSF -- After all, according to the PSA registry, there are 14 E98 Cobbs from the Black Swamp Find graded a PSA 9, and only 8 non-BSF E98 Red Cobb PSA 9's. But personally, I would much rather have the provenance on the flip. Interesting side note: There are 22, E98 Red Cobb (BSF and non-BSF) that are graded PSA 9, and only 10 Red Cobbs graded anything other than PSA 9 (and two are 10's); however, there are 37 designated as just "Ty Cobb" with no color association and red seems to be most the popular E98 Cobb variation. It seems like lower-grade E98 Red Cobbs should sell for a premium since they are the scarce ones!! All that said, it seems all high grade E98 red Cobbs are from BSF - whether the flip states such or not - so the PSA registry is misleading here to those who don’t know much about this issue - like me!! So I will defer to others with better knowledge.

Ok, I am done on this topic. Nice card and someone will be happy to own it

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Scott Russell

Two problems.

1. White dots on the new one near his right arm and hip that aren't on the other make me think these aren't a match.

2. Everybody knows that the only E98's over, I think, PSA 5 are Black Swamp, so removing the BS provenance is pointless. Pretty sure the highest grade on any E98 before the find was "5"
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Two problems.

1. White dots on the new one near his right arm and hip that aren't on the other make me think these aren't a match.
+1. Other slight differences as well, at least in the scans.

EDITED TO ADD: Note the differences in registration where the red background meets the uniform under Ty's right armpit down to his waist.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 09-01-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
That could be. And Pete has suggested that perhaps the card is more valuable dissociated from the BSF -- After all, according to the PSA registry, there are 14 E98 Cobbs from the Black Swamp Find graded a PSA 9, and only 8 non-BSF E98 Red Cobb PSA 9's. But personally, I would much rather have the provenance on the flip. Interesting side note: There are 22, E98 Red Cobb (BSF and non-BSF) that are graded PSA 9, and only 10 Red Cobbs graded anything other than PSA 9 (and two are 10's); however, there are 37 designated as just "Ty Cobb" with no color association and red seems to be most the popular E98 Cobb variation. It seems like lower-grade E98 Red Cobbs should sell for a premium since they are the scarce ones!! All that said, it seems all high grade E98 red Cobbs are from BSF - whether the flip states such or not - so the PSA registry is misleading here to those who don’t know much about this issue - like me!! So I will defer to others with better knowledge.

Ok, I am done on this topic. Nice card and someone will be happy to own it
Ryan- are you saying that before the Black Swamp Find, there were already eight E98 Cobbs graded PSA 9? That doesn't sound right. Mint condition candy cards are very scarce.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Barry, I dont know much about E98's (was never into them and never owned a single one). All I am going off of is the PSA Registry -- picture attached below - which shows 8 E98 Red Cobbs, not designated BSF, graded PSA 9.

The statement has been made (twice) that one reason to cross a PSA 9 in a BSF flip to a PSA 9 in a non-BSF flip, with a new cert, is maybe because the owner felt the card would be more valuable disassociated from the BSF. My real point is that there are at least 7 other, PSA 9, Red, E98 Cobbs, in non-BSF flips. Thus, I dont see that as viable/realistic. Especially when, apparently, everyone that knows about these cards knows that almost all high grade E98 Cobbs are BSF. But I don't know.

I was joking that a lower grade E98 Red Cobb should be more valuable/have a premium, because, based on the pop report, they appear much more scarce than PSA 9s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Screen Shot.jpg (13.4 KB, 590 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-01-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'd say it's also likely that the cards without the designation were from the same find and simply submitted later. I doubt I would have introduced every card to the marketplace at the same time had I found these cards in an attic or basement. And the original submitter would have had good reason to not want the high grade population to jump too much at one time.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
sells or "sells" or ""sells""

Chris Farley air quotes

Always proud to note that Chris Farley and I are from the same hometown

Last edited by drcy; 09-01-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Scott Russell

There were only 627 graded E98's before Black Swamp. Now over 1500. The PSA article states that the pop report doubled in size with black swamps. No Blue's in Black Swamp and the highest graded Blue is a 5.5 followed by 5 5's. Like I said I think everything 6 and over is a BSF card.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:09 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If you remember, the family members who sold five years ago only had half the collection. The other relatives held them from sale so they didnt dilute the sale prices of the first group. It's covered in the Strange Inheritance show about BSF. Some were sent to SGC as well, and those may have been the ones resubmitted to PSA without the provenance for the flip.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Ethan

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
If you remember, the family members who sold five years ago only had half the collection. The other relatives held them from sale so they didnt dilute the sale prices of the first group. It's covered in the Strange Inheritance show about BSF. Some were sent to SGC as well, and those may have been the ones resubmitted to PSA without the provenance for the flip.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Good point
Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Good point
Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Barry, I dont know much about E98's (was never into them and never owned a single one). All I am going off of is the PSA Registry -- picture attached below - which shows 8 E98 Red Cobbs, not designated BSF, graded PSA 9.

The statement has been made (twice) that one reason to cross a PSA 9 in a BSF flip to a PSA 9 in a non-BSF flip, with a new cert, is maybe because the owner felt the card would be more valuable disassociated from the BSF. My real point is that there are at least 7 other, PSA 9, Red, E98 Cobbs, in non-BSF flips. Thus, I dont see that as viable/realistic. Especially when, apparently, everyone that knows about these cards knows that almost all high grade E98 Cobbs are BSF. But I don't know.

I was joking that a lower grade E98 Red Cobb should be more valuable/have a premium, because, based on the pop report, they appear much more scarce than PSA 9s.
I really don't follow this stuff either Ryan, but it sounds like some collectors want the BSF designation removed. Perhaps that's a stigma against the card? I just don't know.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM

Thanks all. I learned a lot from this thread, sincerely. Sounds like the current PSA was one of those held back by the family of the BSF and graded and sold later. If I ever pick up a PSA E98 Cobb (and I will likely go SGC, and E94, or maybe E93, first), I would like it in a BSF flip for the provenance, but that’s just me.

Happy Labor Day.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Ethan

Default E98 Cobb

Yup, all of the high grade E98 cards are from the BSF. Pretty cool in my opinion. Not many HOF pre-war cards out there that are pack fresh and have such a great story behind them. I'd love another one.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
“Trust me, I’m a card doctor.”

LOL! Might be my favorite Frank quote so far

!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
LOL! Might be my favorite Frank quote so far

!
"I'm not a card doctor, but I play one on Net54"

Brian
Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Two problems.

these aren't the same card. see the various "white" areas along his jersey and the red. they aren't consistent between the two, in fact one of them doesn't really have them at all. add that to the white dots noted above, and these aren't the same card.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:11 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
I hear ya Pete. And it’s in a new flip, and certainly a card of this “caliber” would not be new to the market, without fanfare. But maybe it’s a non-BSF that found its way into that holder . And re BSF, why would anyone take it out of a BSF flip? The BSF provenance proves the validity of its authenticity (and grade, I guess).

I would love to see physical evidence that this was once in a BSF flip. And I would love to see the grade on the flip. Do we have that info? Could be a huge black eye for all involved; at least (black) eye opening
I would think dropping an email to BODA would get all the questions answered...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:01 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Two problems.

Is it my imagination or do both of these have the exact same slight skew (diamond cut)?

Also the white dot on the bottom right edge of the shirt (hemline) appears to be identical?
Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Is it my imagination or do both of these have the exact same slight skew (diamond cut)?

Also the white dot on the bottom right edge of the shirt (hemline) appears to be identical?
The sheets would have been cut in stacks, so any card from the same position on the sheet and in that same stack would have the same diamond cut.

A light spot on a uniform is part of the design I would expect it to be the same.

The registration is different.