NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2022, 08:47 PM
Tim Odeen

Default When Did RC Become Most Important?

A question was posed on Twitter asking "When did the hobby staple become the RC?"

I have been collecting since 1991 (5yo), and by then the RC was very important. I have read on this site about collectors hoarding early 80s wax for the Mattingly RC, so it was a staple by 1980. So what decade before 1980 did collectors turn to the RC as the penultimate card in a collection?

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-25-2022, 08:52 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The early 80’s is when it becomes the norm, as adults and money started to really increase in the hobby. Dealers started to pump rookies, needing some common cards to be money makers, and it caught on. Mattingly’s hype was in 1984 and really cemented it. Hobby has never looked back.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:03 PM
Rob

In about 1982 I traded a guy 9 1978 Eddie Murray's for a 1962 Mays. My mom wanted to call his parents to un-do the deal. I said, "Mom, we got those Eddie Murrays at Stop & Go for 35 cents a pack." In 1978 Eddie Murray rookie was not a thing. In 1982 it was a big deal that I had an Eddie Murray rookie, but I wanted a Mays, and to this day I would rather have a 62 Mays, than 9 1978 Murray's.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
In about 1982 I traded a guy 9 1978 Eddie Murray's for a 1962 Mays. My mom wanted to call his parents to un-do the deal. I said, "Mom, we got those Eddie Murrays at Stop & Go for 35 cents a pack." In 1978 Eddie Murray rookie was not a thing. In 1982 it was a big deal that I had an Eddie Murray rookie, but I wanted a Mays, and to this day I would rather have a 62 Mays, than 9 1978 Murray's.
do you still have the 62 mays??
Old 09-25-2022, 09:24 PM
Rob

I don't know. I think it's in a 5000 count box with my original stuff. It was not in nice condition, so I know I never had it graded to sell. I know it would be a better story if I could say, "Yes, I have it here on my desk, here's a scan.", like an Orson Welles movie. I do have a 1960 Fleer Wagner on my desk that I bought at a show in the 80's.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:34 PM
Scott Gaynor

Early 1980's. There was a monthly price guide that competed with Beckett (until Beckett sued them) that was really promoting rookie cards and hyping them by putting a "RC" after the players name. There was not really that much real time market information available back then, so the kind of made up the prices, but it really advanced the rookie card market by bringing in the investors. Pretty much any card with an "RC" would bring a premium. SCD was filled with ads of dealers selling the rookie card in lots of 25, 50, 100 for the investors.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 09-26-2022, 07:47 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
In about 1982 I traded a guy 9 1978 Eddie Murray's for a 1962 Mays. My mom wanted to call his parents to un-do the deal. I said, "Mom, we got those Eddie Murrays at Stop & Go for 35 cents a pack."
During what I believe to be the exact same year I remember a neighborhood friend receiving a literal bushel basket of the most trashed cards from his uncle. I remember buying a small handful for around 3-5 bucks of mostly Kellogg's 3d cards and some rando late 60's & early 70's beaters. His mom called to undo that sale the same day because she was sure they were worth millions. Looking back at the cards, i probably was overpaying, lol.

Now the trade I made in 85' or so, which was the GI Joe Snake Eyes Silent Marvel Issue (A BIG deal at the time), straight up for a 1954-55 Topps #8 Gordie Howe and more really turned out to be lopsided in my favor long term. His mom should have called.

As to the OP's question: I have been in this fairly non-stop since 79 and can never remember a time that the RC was not the most valuable card for a player (generally). I guess it makes sense that catalog designations helped with focus. However, It is funny that some of the most talked about cards including the 52' Mantle are not a rc.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:31 AM

Yeah, there's a predisposition in a lot of collecting hobbies that earlier is better, and thus it follows that earliest is best. Mix in some knowledge like availability is usually less as one works back in time, then start tracking the values, and that's a recipe for prices accelerating upward, as happened in the 70s and 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
As to the OP's question: I have been in this fairly non-stop since 79 and can never remember a time that the RC was not the most valuable card for a player (generally). I guess it makes sense that catalog designations helped with focus.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:29 AM
Bill Cauley

My assumption is that it picked up in the 80s at some point. All I remember about caring about RCs when I first started collecting in the '85/'86 timeframe is the 1983 Topps Wade Boggs RC as he was my favorite player at the time. Anytime I'd go to a show or card shop and see one, it was like I was looking at my holy grail.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:55 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
My assumption is that it picked up in the 80s at some point. All I remember about caring about RCs when I first started collecting in the '85/'86 timeframe is the 1983 Topps Wade Boggs RC as he was my favorite player at the time. Anytime I'd go to a show or card shop and see one, it was like I was looking at my holy grail.

At a store where I was the faux owner (his money, my knowledge), I constantly got harassed for the 83 Boggs card. In our cases at the time we had 1953- 1961 Topps in large quantities, including stars and over 100 nicely cut Post Cereal Baseball I'd recommend purchasing those cards as they were truly collectible; it wasn't a sales pitch, either, I honestly felt that way (and still do). The Boggs/early 80s rookie card collectors remained unconvinced and took their business elsewhere.

In 1987 I traded a 73 Schmidt rookie for a complete 1959 Topps Baseball set in very good to excellent condition for the store. At the time they were almost equal in value.

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete 1953 Bowman Color, 1971, 1972, 1974, and 1975 Topps Baseball sets which are constantly "under revision."

1970 Topps Baseball (missing 143 cards, mostly after #450) and a 1973 Topps Baseball near set, missing 30 cards.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:09 PM

Enjoying this thread and learning a bit beyond what I was exposed to.

I'm in my mid-40s, so my first calling to the heat of the RC side of the hobby besides known stars and hot emerging talent was the 83 Fleer Ron Kittle (and 83 Topps Traded). It was the first time I remember a dealer wanting to immediately buy a pull out of a current product.