NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Default Final consensus needed -- Is this a "yellow-bordered" T210??

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I don't believe I've ever actually seen a t210 with yellow borders although I've heard they do exist. This Slaven that I have is about as "yellow" as I've ever seen a t210 look. In person, the orange-bordered Blanding (3rd Series) is a completely different color than the Burnett (8th Series) next to it. It is a bright neon-orange color so there is certainly not a subtle difference in color between those two. However as you can see by the scans, the Slaven is something on a whole new level. I can even see "glimpses" of yellow on the Slaven's borders, however there is a lot of light orange in there too.

The Blanding's appearance can be easily explained by saying the sheet this card was a part of missed a red color pass during it's original print run. What do you all think about the origins of the Slaven? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Brian- Looks orange to me. I think all the orange ones just have some color missing. Are you suggesting yellow/orange was done intentionally?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Brian,
I think it is like many others that just get faded from the sun over time. Just my opinion.

Tim

Old 12-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Red border color has been faded out by a mixture of bleach and water (soaking), resulting in an orange to yellow fade.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I somewhat concur.

The one on the right is red.

The one in the middle is orange.

The one on the left looks like someone has used bleach or Oxyclean or some such. If its image was normal I might be inclined to consider it yellow. But as it is, it looks to be an altered red. But I could be wrong.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. Maines

This assessment may be a job for Kevin. However the image background on the yellow card is not affected, which could indicate quite a bit of care being used in the bleaching process, But please note: the lettering at the card bottom also appears unaffected. I do not know that solely the border can be impacted by a bleaching agent.

Although the border appears to contain some orange/red coloration, I see no evidence that bleaching has occurred.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Is it possible direct sun light could affect the "red color" making the card fade slightly as shown in the photo (middle card).

I don't think bleach water would affect the color Black(slight fade) or Gray as much as other colors "Red", could easily manipulated with chemicals.

I think it's highly unlikely the card was manufactured in this way "Yellow"!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Brian,
I have seen at least one card that was a genuine "yellow border" (it did look just like yours, just slightly yellower), it was sold several years ago on ebay, it along with around 100 t206 and a handful (5-10 of them) of t210 red borders (all series 3) were all pasted onto a large piece of wood around the time of issue. The yellow border (Thebo) was in the middle of the piece, and actually wasn't even mentioned as being anything out of the ordinary. All other 3rd series cards on the piece were "normal". It was obvious the cards were pasted on the board as a "period" piece as on one of the borders the entire piece was cut and all cards on that border were cut in half and one of the cut cards was a green background Cobb.

I don't know if using bleach or Oxyclean would have that result on the surrounding border (would be a good experiment for someone to do on a real beater). Also I don't think the sun would affect only the red pigment and leave the yellow completely undamaged, or cause the red to turn into a bright shade of yellow/orange-- seems like it would cause there to be a dull color not one that bright. A lot more skepticism here than I had originally thought when I saw the post. I think the reason there is doubt on this one is due to the wear/damage to the face of the card. However, as stated earlier there was at least one I have seen that was legit and had a complete undamaged picture on it.
-Rhett

Old 12-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I remember that lot with the yellow Thebo too Rhett. I bid on it only for the Yellow T210 but didnt even come close. You have a great memory, before you wrote this I knew I had seen one before and knew the image of the player was better, but couldnt place it. If I remember right it was about 2-3 years ago.

Frank

Old 12-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Hey Rhett it was only a year ago I was way off too, I could have sworn it was much longer.

I found the posts that followed that Yellow T210 Thebo auction.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1168663134

Old 12-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Administrator

I don't know if using bleach or Oxyclean would have that result on the surrounding border (would be a good experiment for someone to do on a real beater).

Who knows maybe it is real or not!

Old 12-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Rhett, FKW, and Brian,
I own the T206/T210 piece you are talking about and the Thebo is definitely yellow. The rest of the T210's all have nice strong Red borders, so I seriously doubt that the sun faded this one card. I think its common knowledge that true "Orange Borders" do exist and are usually cards from series 3. I have 2 and will try to post them later.
Be well Brian

PS The piece is still intact, and hanging in a dark corner in the back of my office, where no sun light will ever touch it...

Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

To me it looks orange and I think it was done at time of mfg. I did get to see one very nice T210 collection, collected before these things were worth more than a few cents, and it had some orange bordered cards and 1-2 yellow ones. The yellow ones are really yellow.....Cool card....best regards

Old 12-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Frank, guess my memory isn't that great as I also thought it was at least two years ago. Anyhow, that is the piece that I was talking about as well. I also bid, came somewhat close but glad it went to a good home.
-Rhett

Old 12-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: eric p.

yes it is a yellow t210, it was done during the printing process, the yellow and orange t210's only exist in series 3, i have owned over 1000 t210's in the last 7+ years and have only had 1 yellow and about 15 orange, i have only seen 4 yellow t210's in that time span, nice pickup.