NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-25-2015, 08:12 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
And one more for my Top 100. May have just been some crazy scanner settings but the blue on this Santo was 10x richer than the others for sale. Will know in a couple days...
You are after my own heart with this card. I've been a Cubs fan since I was 12. My favorite Santo is his '63 Topps, although I have his '61 rookie card too. Just always liked that set. Also love his '63 Fleer - if you will notice carefully the picture was taken at the Polo Grounds - when the Mets played there before it was torn down.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 PM

Default We Agree On The '57's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Those years are my favorites. '57 is the most difficult probably, because even if you find nice (in my mind, EX or better) cards, they often have snow and all kinds of printing problems that the '55 and '56's don't seem to have. But a nice '57 with rich color and a picture free from those printing problems is indeed a thing of beauty.
...any excuse to show these guys off...

Old 11-25-2015, 12:29 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

...any excuse to show these guys off...

Wow. When I mean nice I'm thinking PSA 5 or 6. I once had a really nice copy of card #42 (Dee Fondy of the Cubs) that I sent off to SGC for grading. It came back a 8. I can't imagine a nicer '57 than that one raw when I held it in my hands, so those must be really nice in person.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Friends,

I'm pushing the era limits of our sub-forum, but I just had to share what is really one of the most gorgeous cards in my collection. As you compare to your own PSA 8+ cards, you may be scratching your head, but it will make sense if you imagine yourself a guy whose cards typically have such rounded corners that you could roll the card like a wheel (okay, maybe not quite that bad!)

I know this set is a bit cartoony for some collectors, but I am actually a big fan. I think the artwork really captures the era. This will be a great companion to the other HOF Diamond Stars in my collection: Hornsby, Ott, and Hubbell. Someday I hope to add Pie Traynor as well.

Wow! I just love this one! And a P.S. for the historians out there...did the Polo Grounds scoreboard really list the home team first?

Terry_1935_DS.jpg

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-25-2015, 02:43 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Friends,

I'm pushing the era limits of our sub-forum, but I just had to share what is really one of the most gorgeous cards in my collection. As you compare to your own PSA 8+ cards, you may be scratching your head, but it will make sense if you imagine yourself a guy whose cards typically have such rounded corners that you could roll the card like a wheel (okay, maybe not quite that bad!)

I know this set is a bit cartoony for some collectors, but I am actually a big fan. I think the artwork really captures the era. This will be a great companion to the other HOF Diamond Stars in my collection: Hornsby, Ott, and Hubbell. Someday I hope to add Pie Traynor as well.

Wow! I just love this one! And a P.S. for the historians out there...did the Polo Grounds scoreboard really list the home team first?

Attachment 212896
Awesome card! Not one that I am aware of having seen before personally. I've always loved the art-deco look of the Diamond Stars cards - they're not so much cartoony - that style was just very popular back in the day. I will always remember Bill Terry because of how Ted Williams talked about idolizing him as a young player because he had hit .400. And as for condition - well, let's just say Jason you are making me feel a lot better about my own collection. Great stuff!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:12 PM
C@rl P@rk

Default Finally got my Mick

Haven't posted any of my pickups in a great while, but making an exception here... After a year of near-misses and escalating prices, I finally bit the bullet. Key for me is pretty nice centering and no roller marks. The other flaws are forgivable. I can't stop staring at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 2 - Front cropped.jpg (70.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 11-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Matt

What flaws? Gorgeous. Congrats! Beast of a card to find with that eye appeal.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:46 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
What flaws? Gorgeous. Congrats! Beast of a card to find with that eye appeal.
Thanks, Matt! Yeah, I am very happy this one is mine. And thanks again for your advice earlier this year. It took awhile, just like you said it might, but totally worth the wait.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:15 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

KingFisk, you nailed it with the 51 Mantle. Well played and worth the wait. Congrats.

Last edited by jb67; 11-27-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

What a month! Am remembering a signed Aaron RC, a Dan-Dee Mick, some great Jackie Robinsons, and now a Mantle RC! We are the true "pickup artists" of the internet.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Duane Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Haven't posted any of my pickups in a great while, but making an exception here... After a year of near-misses and escalating prices, I finally bit the bullet. Key for me is pretty nice centering and no roller marks. The other flaws are forgivable. I can't stop staring at it.
Awesome card. Congrats.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM
C@rl P@rk

Thanks JB, Jason and Duane! That Mick is one more thing to give thanks for this weekend. And as Jason pointed out, this was a great November for many!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Nice centering is it graded?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Love the 51B, Mick's TRUE RC. Nice card dude!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:07 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
Nice centering is it graded?
Thanks, all! Yep, it lives in a new PSA holo slab. Would be afraid to buy one raw.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:31 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Not exactly on par with some of the awesome cards being trotted out lately, but I picked up my second decently-centered '72 Mays 'In Action' this month and the Gibson isn't in what you would call great shape (rounded corners with staple holes at bottom), but a really tough 1962 HOF high number? I'll take it any day of the week!!!!!!!

62gibson72mays.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:33 PM

I found some 1960s commons that I sent out for TTM.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks, all! Yep, it lives in a new PSA holo slab. Would be afraid to buy one raw.
What grade if you don't mind?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Not exactly on par with some of the awesome cards being trotted out lately, but I picked up my second decently-centered '72 Mays 'In Action' this month and the Gibson isn't in what you would call great shape (rounded corners with staple holes at bottom), but a really tough 1962 HOF high number? I'll take it any day of the week!!!!!!!

Attachment 213251
Darren, some nice pickups. No question it is hard to find centered 72's of Willie in action. No doubt a great price on the Gibson. I have a Johnny Bench "In Action" on the way that has pretty good centering. I have been looking for a long time to find one and can't wait to get it in hand.

Last edited by jb67; 11-30-2015 at 04:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2015, 07:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Darren, some nice pickups. No question it is hard to find centered 72's of Willie in action. No doubt a great price on the Gibson. I have a Johnny Bench "In Action" on the way that has pretty good centering. I have been looking for a long time to find one and can wait to get it in hand.
It's funny. Topps seemingly released 8 billion cards in 1972, so the Quality Control Department never had any time to ensure anything left the factory centered, especially Willie Mays, Johnny Bench and Hank Aaron "In Action" cards.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Rob Miller

Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Okay, I might not have the most impressive November pickup, but I may well have the last November pickup!

Some of you may know I've decided to expand my "Top 50" display to "Top 100." This took me from needing only two cards (Ruth, Gehrig!) to needing 34! Well, the good news was that many of the ones I needed could be had in decent shape for very little. And the bad news is that I still need the Ruth and Gehrig!

Dawson_1978.jpg

Fingers_1970.jpg

Fisk_1973.jpg

Sutton_1968.jpg

Perry_1967A.jpg

Niekro_1969.jpg