NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 AM

Default Home for a Vin Scully ball (and an introduction)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so will start with an intro.

I am Vit-D. I am a small time collector of sports related items that I find cool. Mostly old baseball cards, but with some game used stuff as well. My favorite pieces of my collection are a game used SF Giants Juan Perez jersey from the 2014 NLDS and NLCS, a full (un-torn) ticket from the Kirk Gibson game, a card with piece of a HR ball from the year that Mark McGwire hit 70, and a UC Irvine Big West Basketball Championship ring (I am an alum.)

With that out of the way, one of the cool pieces in my collection is a game used ball from the final game of Vin Scully's announcing career. Not only that, but the ball was from the bottom of the 8th inning, and it was the ball that was hit for the final run and RBI that Vin ever called. Perhaps I am overrating the ball a bit, but I think it is an interesting piece, and perhaps the sort of thing that should be somewhere that people (especially Dodger Fans) could see it, rather than a bookshelf in my house.

If the right opportunity presented itself, I wouldn't mind considering the donation of this item to a museum or something like that, but I haven't been able to find the right place. I e-mailed the Baseball Hall of Fame, and they said that they were looking for things more closely tied to his career, but other than that, I have kind of hit a dead end.

I heard that this is THE place for vintage games used discussion. I realize this is totally vintage, but maybe you guys have some ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:49 AM
John Hanssen

Thanks for your service

Great story behind ball
Old 05-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit-d View Post
Hi everyone,

I am Vit-D. I am a small time collector of sports related items that I find cool. Mostly old baseball cards, but with some game used stuff as well. My favorite pieces of my collection are a game used SF Giants Juan Perez jersey from the 2014 NLDS and NLCS, a full (un-torn) ticket from the Kirk Gibson game, a card with piece of a HR ball from the year that Mark McGwire hit 70, and a UC Irvine Big West Basketball Championship ring (I am an alum.)

With that out of the way, one of the cool pieces in my collection is a game used ball from the final game of Vin Scully's announcing career. Not only that, but the ball was from the bottom of the 8th inning, and it was the ball that was hit for the final run and RBI that Vin ever called. Perhaps I am overrating the ball a bit, but I think it is an interesting piece, and perhaps the sort of thing that should be somewhere that people (especially Dodger Fans) could see it, rather than a bookshelf in my house.

If the right opportunity presented itself, I wouldn't mind considering the donation of this item to a museum or something like that, but I haven't been able to find the right place. I e-mailed the Baseball Hall of Fame, and they said that they were looking for things more closely tied to his career, but other than that, I have kind of hit a dead end.

I heard that this is THE place for vintage games used discussion. I realize this is totally vintage, but maybe you guys have some ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Welcome Vit-D. I would say the ball is an interesting item to us long time Dodger Fans.

3 of my best friends played Basketball @UC Irvine in the early 80's and I know they didn't win anything, LOL. I remember Chick Hearn doing one of their playoff games and they had the thrill of having Chick call their names.

Vinny called my name, "Tapia" in his last broadcast vs the Rockies. I never heard the "Raimel", only the Tapia part. I saved it in my archives.

So, send me the ball and I'll verify it for you.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Welcome Vit-D. I would say the ball is an interesting item to us long time Dodger Fans.

3 of my best friends played Basketball @UC Irvine in the early 80's and I know they didn't win anything, LOL. I remember Chick Hearn doing one of their playoff games and they had the thrill of having Chick call their names.

Vinny called my name, "Tapia" in his last broadcast vs the Rockies. I never heard the "Raimel", only the Tapia part. I saved it in my archives.

So, send me the ball and I'll verify it for you.
Thanks for the generous offer to authenticate my ball! What is your address?

Just kidding....

Joking aside, the ball is actually already authenticated. I bought it directly from MLB.com and it has a sticker and everything.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:59 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Very Cool! have you tried contacting the Dodgers? They might be interested
Old 05-26-2020, 03:38 AM

Hi Vit-d,
Welcome to net54! I grew up in Tustin, which is pretty close to UCI, but instead went to CSUF.
I believe the OP's suggestion of contacting the Dodgers is a solid one.
It's been a while since I visited Dodger Stadium, but they must have a Dodgers Museum of sorts. Where better to reach a great sampling of Dodger fans?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I think you guys are on to something. I attempted to contact the Dodgers through their main fan feedback email account. If anyone knows a better avenue to reach someone who may be able to “help” with this, please let me know. I will update everyone if something interesting happens, but I wouldn’t count on it!
Old 05-26-2020, 11:20 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Yeah, I think you guys are on to something. I attempted to contact the Dodgers through their main fan feedback email account. If anyone knows a better avenue to reach someone who may be able to “help” with this, please let me know. I will update everyone if something interesting happens, but I wouldn’t count on it!
If you tweet at them you may have a better chance of success and give it more visibility
Old 05-26-2020, 11:43 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Vit-d,
Welcome to net54! I grew up in Tustin, which is pretty close to UCI, but instead went to CSUF.
I believe the OP's suggestion of contacting the Dodgers is a solid one.
It's been a while since I visited Dodger Stadium, but they must have a Dodgers Museum of sorts. Where better to reach a great sampling of Dodger fans?
I'm a CSUN alum, great school only took me 10 years to get through

VIT-D,

The Dodgers have a great museum on the club level that everyone can see and another down in the Dugout Boxes with all the silver sluggers, trophy's and other awards. Here's a pic I took with one of my grand kids on a recent visit to the Stadium of the Vin Scully exhibit. Your ball would look great there.

I have a particular fondness for the place as my dad worked on the original construction of Dodger Stadium in 1961-62 and we some how ended up with 20 chairs??? I have the last 2 here in my home office. If the Dodgers don't want it, we might reconsider the next best place which could be right there for the ball of the week???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0508 (2).jpg (75.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.jpg (29.7 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-26-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Chuck Tapia

Default La times

this is in the Times today in case you missed it?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...sports-history

Vin Scully voted Biggest Icon in LA Sports History.

His final words are quoted.

“You know, friends, so many people have wished me congratulations on a 67-year career in baseball, and they’ve wished me a wonderful retirement with my family, and now, all I can do is tell you what I wish for you. May God give you, for every storm, a rainbow; for every tear, a smile; for every care, a promise; and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life seems, a faithful friend to share; for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer. You and I have been friends for a long time, but I know, in my heart, I’ve always needed you more than you’ve ever needed me, and I’ll miss our time together more than I can say. But, you know what, there will be a new day, and, eventually, a new year, and when the upcoming winter gives way to spring, ooh, rest assured, once again, it will be time for Dodger baseball. So, this is Vin Scully wishing you a pleasant good afternoon, wherever you may be.”

Very Timely, indeed!

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-26-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
this is in the Times today in case you missed it?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...sports-history

Vin Scully voted Biggest Icon in LA Sports History.

His final words are quoted.

“You know, friends, so many people have wished me congratulations on a 67-year career in baseball, and they’ve wished me a wonderful retirement with my family, and now, all I can do is tell you what I wish for you. May God give you, for every storm, a rainbow; for every tear, a smile; for every care, a promise; and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life seems, a faithful friend to share; for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer. You and I have been friends for a long time, but I know, in my heart, I’ve always needed you more than you’ve ever needed me, and I’ll miss our time together more than I can say. But, you know what, there will be a new day, and, eventually, a new year, and when the upcoming winter gives way to spring, ooh, rest assured, once again, it will be time for Dodger baseball. So, this is Vin Scully wishing you a pleasant good afternoon, wherever you may be.”

Very Timely, indeed!
Absolutely awesome!! Love Vin Scully.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:11 PM

Does anyone have an idea who I would (or could) contact with the Dodgers in an attempt to donate that baseball? I tried the generic “contact us” email, and sending out a tweet, but no response.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 AM
Rick

I know a couple of Dodger employees to contact about this. If you want to post a picture of the ball and the MLB certification, I will pass it along to them to see if they are interested. I know they are space constrained at the Stadium regarding how much they can put on display, but they do have that Vin Scully display already set up, and your ball could fit in nicely. I think your offer is very generous, and if they are interested, I'll arrange for you to get in contact with them.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:04 PM

Thanks for that offer. I sent you a private message. Please let me know if it did not go through
Old 05-29-2020, 09:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Love Vin; baseball isn't the same without him. Or without, er, games. I got this directly from him at a behind the scenes visit to the stadium with Don Newcombe.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...