NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Default What Is the Last Frontier of Professional Grading?

What is the last frontier of professional grading? Cards, ticket stubs, autographs, photographs, racks, wax packs, unopened boxes, display boxes, premiums and baseballs have been slabbed. What about wax wrappers? Has anybody ever seen or heard of wrappers being professionally graded? If that is possible, I think they could be fine display pieces. Thoughts? Any other items which could feasibly be slabbed?

James
Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Chris

I don't see why small pennants couldn't be slabbed.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 PM
D.B. Cooper

Tattooing the word "Poor" on bad graders' foreheads and then encasing them in plastic.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Tim

The last frontier will be slabbing slabs.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Beckett has a jumbo holder designed for photos and comics, but I think they'll holder any paper collectible that fits in it, assuming they can identify/date it and it's suitable (i.e. they would holder your Houston Oilers Fan Magazine, but not your toilet paper roll even if you can prove its authenticity).

Last edited by drc; 01-17-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:21 PM

GAI is actually grading regular sticks of chewing gum now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-BEECH-NUT-C...item27ae450f98
Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Jim VB

Based on the level of credibility they currently have, I'd be careful with that stick of gum.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshep View Post
GAI is actually grading regular sticks of chewing gum now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-BEECH-NUT-C...item27ae450f98
That's just silly. I'd also question their "epertise" in dating gum.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Collect the gum, not the holder.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Brandon Brown

Default another possibility

As a former coin collector, I am aware of a company in that hobby, who is essentially a "fourth party" grader, who evaluates the coin in the holder, and if they believe it is an accurate assigned grade, affix their holographic sticker which shows that they agree with the grade. Could that be next for our hobby?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

How about simply grading and encapsulating cards which have not been trimmed? Would be nice to some of those in holders.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Mark

If I understand the point of the thread correctly, one possible frontier would be setting up standards and a methodology for authenticating what is actually depicted in collectable baseball photos - especially the claimed identity of the persons depicted (and whether it is even a baseball photo). Not an easy task.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Fred

Grading companines no longer certify a card with a numerical grade. They only indicate that the card is AUTHENTIC. If there is paper loss, creases or other defects then the person selling the card would be responsible for disclosing the defect,

If the card has been altered then the grading company would certify it as ALTERED. Perhaps the grading companies could assign a list of codes that indicate the type of atleration.

Th grading companies would begin actually certifying OJs (N172) with the designations provided in the OJ Book that was released last year.

Lets get rid of the numerical grades and go with "buying the card, not the holder".

I can already here the pro-slab collectors indicating that this won't happen because of the set registries and people wanting to have "the best". It's hard to imagine someone having the best set when the subjectivity of grading leaves the interpretation of quality up to people/companies that are inconsistent in the assignment of these numbers.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Kevin S.

Quote:
Believe I had this done in 2005 or so. A PSA graded card that was autographed on the slab, that was then authenticated and encapsulated by GAI.

Kevin Saucier
Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Barry Arnold

Default last frontier

Jon Canfield and I have commiserated on a number of occasions regarding poorly graded vintage cigarette packs and misinformation, particularly the erroneous dates for the packs noted on the slabs of GAI.
Accuracy would be a great new frontier in this arena.
best,
barry
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Uncut sheets. The holder would have to be huge, especially for the double topps sheets.

Steve B
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
hysterical
Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Default next frontier

I am thinking the next frontier is either ethics or consistency.

I have always enjoyed making somewhat elaborate holders for my cards and slabbing them ruins them for my purposes.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 AM

I agree with the above ethics comment, including for auction houses. Ethics, including as a way to make $$, could be a focus for some places. I've more than once said that cheating will hurt your business in the long run, and being honest and ethical will help you over the long run. It may be that the last place standing is the most ethical.

Mark (bmarlow1), I think your area is a great service in many areas, including being baseball. The question on the order of "Is this really Abe Lincoln?" is asked in many areas, and having an impartial and learned party to give an opinion will always be in demand ... My focus has always been the physical photo itself, but your work has sparked an interest in me in your work. As I've said before, "It can't be an original Johnny Weissmueller photo if it ain't Johnny Weissmueller."

Last edited by drc; 01-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.