NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-07-2022, 05:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default A Curious Tale of Bubba Smith...

Every time I run across an old Bubba Smith card, it seems to feature the same photograph, so I finally decided to dive in and see what the heck was going on.

In his relatively short Topps career, the very same picture was used on his:

1970 'rookie' card, his 1971 card, his 1972 All Pro card, his 1975 card, and also on his very last card in 1976. The only year 'free' of this picture was 1973, and he didn't appear in the 1974 Topps set, but you have to assume that if any mock-ups were produced, they undoubtedly featured the same outdated, standby photograph. Pictured as a member of three separate teams, the art department airbrushed him into three different colored uniforms.

Couldn't Topps have snapped some other pictures during his playing career??? Did their photographers decide to take a knee on the play?? Perhaps a phone call to his parents would've been warranted: "Mrs. Smith, Topps here. We're wondering if you happen to have any recent photos of your son, Charles, that we could borrow?"

On a side not, the massive DE appeared on a single Kellogg's card (in 1970). Take a frickin' wild guess what photograph they used??

bubbasmithcards.jpg

Are there any other players in sports who even came close to this amount of same-photograph coverage over the years???

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 01-07-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:27 PM
Albert Bee

Default Bubba

Yea, thats crazy !, and he came into the NFL in 1967 !!!, a 1970 rookie card ??

In college, they would chant " kill Bubba kill " LOL
Old 01-07-2022, 06:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I forget Bubba is not in the HOF sometimes. I chalk up that he didn't get a card until 1970 to the small set sizes for Football. I sort of mini-hoard his 1971 card, I love that set and buy all the stars and HOFers I see from it when I find 'em cheap. Got to have 50 Bubba's by now.

The coolest Bubba Smith card in my eyes is one that doesn't use this boring portrait:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bubba-Smith.jpg (54.5 KB, 203 views)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:40 AM
Bill H@e1ig

1bubba.jpg

1972 Sunoco Stamp
Old 01-10-2022, 09:12 PM
Curt

That is pretty funny. I became a Raider fan when I first started collecting cards in 1978 (not sure why, as i lived in the Seattle area) and was so happy to discover that Bubba Smith had a Raiders card! Its not a great one, but he had one.

Might as well show that 73T too.

He always makes me think of those great Miller Lite commercials!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (76.8 KB, 92 views)