NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Default We all have cards we regret selling, but...

Posted By: tbob

it is really sweet when they find their way back home

Old 07-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Sweet Card and Thanks For Sharing!

Makes me miss my Black And White Hartzell I traded away like fifteen years ago.

If yours can come home, maybe mine can.

DJ

Old 07-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I think it would take about 20k for my nm/mt '15 CJ Wagner to find its way back home. Sold in 1997 for $2250.
JimB

Old 07-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Don Poley

Jim, that makes me want to cry. Sweet card. Probably was a great deal at the time though.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Jim,

I bet your'e kicking yourself now, huh?

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

IMO, I would have held onto the card for the LONG TERM. How often can you find a CJ Wagner for sale at "a DECENT/REASONABLE/ AFFORDABLE price" .

Old 07-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'd be trilled just see the 6 Firesdies I sold becuase I know I have no hope of ever owning even one of them again.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Ramly Burkett. Selling it means I will never complete my 19th centurey HOFers.

The new owner sent it in to PSA, and it came back a 4. There are a few tobacco spots on the back--look more like wine, but I'm assured they're tobacco.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I bet Jim's not kicking himself because he has held onto a ton of the good ones!!!

Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

half of my e93 set is from jim's hand-me-down dupes. and these aren't even his nicest duplicates! if you love e93s like us you should see what jim is holding on to.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Man those look like some nice e93s quan (and yes, Ive seen some of Jims - but he's playing on another field). Im still looking for several e93s if you have any you'd like to part with.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Anyone remember Teletrade? Then you also remember what a rip-off it was and why it died.

Some years ago I decided to refocus my card collecting and started getting rid of the odds and ends I'd accumulated over many years of random buying. Of course, those ugly little E and R cards were the first things to go, because I wanted to concentrate on my Topps and Bowman collection. I dumped a bunch of E93, E120 and E121 cards, all HOFers. I consigned them to Teletrade--which not only had ridiculous commissions (they had a minimum flat fee that escalated, which meant that a cheap card would sell for a huge commission relative to the gross on the lot), they also set absurd minimums. I actually had one lot sell where they set the minimum at a buck above their minimum commission and I netted a buck on the lot, which after shipping costs to get the cards to them actually put me at a loss. I'd have been better flushing them down the toilet. To this day I cringe when I see certain E93 cards.

On another deal, I had a collection purchase which included a large number of 1960s football cards. I hate football and don't care for the cards, so I bundled them up and traded the whole lot (hundreds) for a 1941 Play Ball Whit Wyatt. The FB cards are worth hundreds; ol' Whit ain't.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i can relate to adams post...i too sold vintage to complete 50's and 60's topps.i had to complete them at any cost,at least the topps stuff does have value. on the other end i purchased from teletrade and bought some of the worst psa 7's they ever graded,of course sight unseen.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

The CJ Wagner is one that is hard to forget, but thankfully there have not been too many like that; I have held onto most of the ones that mean the most to me, particularly the E93s.. As for the ones I have had to sell along the way for various reasons, well I guess that is life. We are all only temporary caretakers of these great cards.
JimB
P.S. Quan has always been one of the greatest guys to deal with in the hobby wether buying, selling, or trading.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

about my T-206 Christy Matthewson Broadleaf 460 in Near Mint* I sold to Doug Allen for $400!

Old 07-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

... the D359 Baker that went to another board member.

Still hoping to get it back via sale or trade.

Ciao for now,

Mike

Old 07-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Not to knock too hard on a neat card, but like on the other thread that questions the facial similiarity of the Lord card from this set, this Baker looks nothing like Baker. Heck, the lowly E91's do a better job capturing a likeness.

Brian

Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

130 or so W600's in 2002..........

Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

every now and then you make a bad deal, but in most cases the money was re-invested in other vintage baseball items.

But if I had to choose, I would say the entire graded t206 HOF'er collection I sold two years ago - it included about 50, cards, most in EX or higher, all HOF'ers, and a few bonus t205 HOF'ers, and all from the same source.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

My biggest regret is in the Hal Lewis collection. I sold him the 1894 Baltimore Orioles Betz Cabinet with the same images as my Alpha cards. Actually, I had to sell it, at the time, I just didn't have the money to keep it. At least it went to a very good home. Dan.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pete Z.

I returned this card to the dealer because it measured short - didn't meet SGC's minimum size requirement (top-to-bottom). Now I learn GAI and PSA grade such miscuts, and it would take three to four times the $ amount today to get this card in a similar or worse condition.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Dan:

I remember paying your price back then and PRAYING that my wife would never find out how much I paid for that thing!

I can understand why you miss it so much, but I can assure you that it is NOT going to be "flipped" for a profit. It is truly loved and is being handled with care and kindness.

By the way...

that 1894 Betz Cabinet of the Baltimore Orioles is now sitting in a GAI 5 slab!!!!

I hope that you are able to hold on to your Alpha Cards forever and never need to sell them, because I know how much you love them. But you know who to call when they start misbehaving and you want to ship them out...

Old 07-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim

I sold a minty mint 57 Yankees Power Hitters card when I was young. It was easily SGC 96 worthy. Sold it for $75 when it booked at $45......greed, youth, stupidity......I'll never see that card again.