NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2021, 02:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Does EBay not care about fakes being sold?

Many on Blowout have reported this card, including myself, yet it is still up with only 2 hrs to go?
It is an obvious fake/doctored card, including the flip label, and as someone pointed out, you can clearly see the glue marks in the corners of the slab to ensure it stays together.

At just over $3,000, someone is going to get stung bad, yet EBay doesn't seem to care?
Assuming this card sells and the buyer figures out it is a fake, will EBay just pay the buyer or will EBay somehow get the money back out of the seller?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/124598400809?ul_noapp=true

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1450819

Last edited by irv; 03-07-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Just reported as fraudulent to Ebay. If enough members report in the next 2 hours maybe it will help, who knows.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-07-2021, 02:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Just reported as fraudulent to Ebay. If enough members report in the next 2 hours maybe it will help, who knows.
I'm not holding my breath, as many have, over the past few days/week also reported it.
The cert number matches but as you will see in the link, it is a completely different card in an obvious doctored/compromised flip.

I assume Ebay receives tons of these per day, but I'm curious how many even get looked at and even more curious how many are actually dealt with?
Old 03-07-2021, 02:48 PM
je.sse @rnot

Almost all recent bidding activity is from the same account with 0 feedback. I doubt anyone actually believes this is a legitimate card. That flip is terrible. I reported it as well though just in case.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:51 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'm not holding my breath, as many have, over the past few days/week also reported it.
The cert number matches but as you will see in the link, it is a completely different card in an obvious doctored/compromised flip.

I assume Ebay receives tons of these per day, but I'm curious how many even get looked at and even more curious how many are actually dealt with?
It may take a high profile lawsuit from someone who lost a large amount of money on their platform and a "discovery phase" of the many fraudulent reports prior to sale. Grace v Ebay was almost 20 years ago and once section 230 gets hammered its going to open the doors to platforms taking more responsibility.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-07-2021, 03:01 PM
Fred

Assuming fleabay doesn't have enough personnel to monitor all of the different auction categories. Even if they did, they really need to have "experts" in the field - even then, experts aren't completely knowledgeable on every card issue.

Does anyone know how many "reports" fleabay gets on possible fraud on their site in a day? Then, how many people do they actually have to look into those reports?

If you don't know what you're doing, chances are you're going to get burned on something.

Also, just because something's slabbed doesn't mean it's good.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Lots of shill bidding is a tip off to me, nevermind the obvious stuff.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Randy

as long as fleecebay gets there cut, they do not care at all
Old 03-08-2021, 12:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

So somebody paid $5,300 US Dollars for this POS.

Considering PWCC and Probstein are still allowed to rake in millions, and the fact that eBay failed to shut this one down pretty much answers the OP's question...

It is a hard "NO".
Old 03-08-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Does EBay not care about fakes being sold?

The worst robbery I’ve ever seen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-S....m46890.l49292

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by J-Yo; 03-08-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:34 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Funny you say this - I have a Willie Mays ball that I've been told is fake from some people. I think they are probably right. It is dual authenticated from a promoter and from Say Hey (which I know is bad a lot of the time) the promoter gave me the signing date etc. Told me the stuff from that signing was good and PSA authenticated a bunch of it when his customers called with concerns. So to test the what he told me I went to try and get a quick opinion. But the quick opinion needs an auction house reference - so I listed the ball on eBay at an exorbitant price tag - not intending to sell the ball - just trying to get a PSA quick opinion on it. Well the PSA Quick opinion hasn't come after 7 days and my listing got removed. Nothing is quick with PSA - ugh. But anyways I guess sometimes eBay does care.

Last edited by Marchillo; 03-08-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

To answer OP's question:

No, Ebay doesn't care about fake items. They get paid for them just the same and have no incentive to care.

Have told this before but: we are talking about Ebay, a company that put fake items on the cover of a holiday gift catalog they mailed to people to tout low prices.

Given that, do you really think they care about fakes?
Old 03-08-2021, 04:59 PM
Bill Cauley

Ebay doesn't care.

I follow a few pages on FB where people are full time thrifters and sell a lot of their stuff on ebay. One guy sold some knockoff OtterBox phone cases that he got online somewhere. OtterBox came after him for selling fakes of their product. There are some stories online about it. After some more research, it seems the companies whose items are being faked have to go after the sellers as ebay doesn't do a damn thing about it.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM

ebay might care, but what are they realistically going to do about it. If they take off one listing of fake, they need to take off every listing of fake. Can't pick and choose which they go after. They don't have a substantial personal detective agency working for them on these things.

It is what PSA is doing (er, not doing) that ticks me off the most. They are the Professionals, and are not acting like professionals. Even their name Professional Sports Authenticators - says professionals. We hire professionals to be professional - which they are not.

Yeah, crooks will always try to scam the system, nothing new there, has been done for eons with all kinds of stuff.

It is up to the Professionals to do their job. I am far from any lawyer legal knowledge, but seems to me the target of any investigation needs to start with the powers that be taking a good hard look at PSA ... the professionals. Go from there.

Alas, sigh. PSA is simply laughing all the way to the bank - literally.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

I think it's a bit silly to think they should or could do anything about it.
There is enough legal recourse to the buyer of a falsely advertised item that eBay have no need to feel any moral obligation to manufacturing themselves.

eBay don't claim to have any expertise and are not selling one thing.
They are a medium for putting buyers and sellers together and getting handsomely rewarded for doing so on a brilliantly contrived conveyance.

Not sure why anyone is 'disgusted' with eBay.
If you don't like the opportunities afforded you can go back to the days of garage sales in your local neighborhood, paying to be in your local newspapers classifieds, or hunting through thrift shops you can get to.

eBay is magnificent.
Long live eBay.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-08-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
I think it's a bit silly to think they should or could do anything about it.
There is enough legal recourse to the buyer of a falsely advertised item that eBay have no need to feel any moral obligation to manufacturing themselves.

eBay don't claim to have any expertise and are not selling one thing.
They are a medium for putting buyers and sellers together and getting handsomely rewarded for doing so on a brilliantly contrived conveyance.

Not sure why anyone is 'disgusted' with eBay.
If you don't like the opportunities afforded you can go back to the days of garage sales in your local neighborhood, paying to be in your local newspapers classifieds, or hunting through thrift shops you can get to.

eBay is magnificent.
Long live eBay.
I'm not 100% sure if your post is pure sarcasm, but if it not, then why does ebay have the option to report bad sellers and fake items then if they are not going to act on them?
From what I've seen, things used to be better than what they are now but one would think with so many people reporting this one card alone days in advance, it would have been removed.
Smoke and mirrors pretending to care, fool the masses into believing is all it is anymore it seems.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

"eBay is magnificent. Long live eBay."

My wife is magnificent too. I love her. Long live her, and long live my kids! But that doesn't mean there aren't lots of things that could be improved...

The "love/hate relationship" is a real thing. Ebay.... Can't live with it; can't live without it.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-08-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Chris

I have a slightly different perspective as someone who also collects Civil War artifacts. eBay used to be a decent place to find some nice pieces. Sure, there were a lot of fake US/CS buckles and plates, but not too hard to spot a buckle that's been aged in the backyard. Not as easy as that travesty of an Aaron though.

eBay took the liberty of removing two of my auctions several years ago - each with a few dozen bids. So while they don't appear to care about the fake Aaron, they have proven their willingness to step in on other things. $.02

I might be new, but I know the rules, so here's a picture of a card to ensure my post is on topic.
Chris

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2021, 06:24 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
To answer OP's question:

No, Ebay doesn't care about fake items. They get paid for them just the same and have no incentive to care.

Have told this before but: we are talking about Ebay, a company that put fake items on the cover of a holiday gift catalog they mailed to people to tout low prices.

Given that, do you really think they care about fakes?
That pretty much answers the initial question

Last edited by doug.goodman; 03-09-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:02 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Proceed with caution. Do your homework. Ask lots of questions. These are things that 75 percent of buyers purchasing fake cards are not doing. I’ve watched several of these auctions as of late and I don’t feel sorry for some of these buyers. They don’t read the entire auction description, don’t study the card pics carefully and don’t check feedback. They just throw money at these auctions with reckless abandon. Most of the time the feedback comments and auction language are a dead giveaway. I buy a lot of raw cards on there and have saved myself buyers remorse several times by slowing down, reading carefully and checking out the details. As the old saying goes “If it looks like a great deal it probably isn’t’”.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 03-09-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

That PSA label is hilarious!

This is proof right here that the hobby is being pushed hard by people who don't know crap about sports cards!

Lots of new money and lots of new dumb-asses too!
Old 03-10-2021, 12:31 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
"eBay is magnificent. Long live eBay."

My wife is magnificent too. I love her. Long live her, and long live my kids! But that doesn't mean there aren't lots of things that could be improved...

The "love/hate relationship" is a real thing. Ebay.... Can't live with it; can't live without it.
Over the last 20 years I have over 1400 ebay transactions.
They've included cards and clothes, appliances and art, tools and toys, gifts and gaming, storage systems and silver, and countless countless other things.

I've been able to find the items I want, generally the branding I've desired, the price I've been happy to pay, the facility to have it all delivered to my door, and the venue to allow me to do the same in reverse and sell off things no longer of use to me.

I've saved many many many thousands of dollars over the years doing so in comparison to paying 'store' prices.
It's generally cost only some browsing time as opposed to the efforts one would need to make to get what you're after mechanically, and allowed me to learn through comparison shopping in a way that is truly next level.

Over the 20 years, maybe 3 'bad' experiences and a dozen more that left me a little disappointed or receiving not quite what I expected.

Improvement to the platform?
Describe how, in practical and financially realistic terms?

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-10-2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:37 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I'm not sure whether Ebay actually cares or not but they leave the judgement up to buyers. Isn't it the buyers obligation to research stuff they want to buy? Ebay isn't in the authentication business.

If Ebay pulled every auction that gets reported, whats to stop people from reporting legitimate cards because they are competition? Or someone has a beef with a seller on a different transaction?

I listed a GU Mets jersey a few years ago and someone contacted me saying the jersey was fake. The jersey was 100% authentic. It turns out the complainer had a similar jersey for sale and didn't like that my price was lower. What if Ebay pulled my auction based on this idiots say?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:01 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I'm not sure whether Ebay actually cares or not but they leave the judgement up to buyers. Isn't it the buyers obligation to research stuff they want to buy? Ebay isn't in the authentication business.

If Ebay pulled every auction that gets reported, whats to stop people from reporting legitimate cards because they are competition? Or someone has a beef with a seller on a different transaction?

I listed a GU Mets jersey a few years ago and someone contacted me saying the jersey was fake. The jersey was 100% authentic. It turns out the complainer had a similar jersey for sale and didn't like that my price was lower. What if Ebay pulled my auction based on this idiots say?
I hear what you are saying but when multiple different people report the same issue, I'd say it is ebay's responsibility to at least look into things. In my one report, I told them to look up the cert# as they would clearly see it is an entirely different card in an obvious fake PSA slab.

I don't know the inner workings of EBay but, like I mentioned earlier, if ebay has the reporting option, shouldn't they at least follow up with it?
Old 03-10-2021, 05:00 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Ebay could easily reduce fakes and counterfeits in just a few short steps:

1) Require all buyers and sellers to provide photo ID in order to keep their account(s) and legitimate full contact information. AND verify it.

2) Immediately delete any listings that disclaim knowledge of whether something is a reprint.

3) If #2 is violated a second time, ban the person - not the account (hence the reason for #1).

4) If you're caught selling fake items, you get a warning. Second time, ban the person - not the account.