NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2023, 06:49 PM
Drew W@i$e

Default Do auction houses buy cards outright?

I know you can consign with auction houses. But do they also buy cards outright? Anyone done this? And if so, what percentage of the value did they give you?
Old 02-28-2023, 07:03 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I know you can consign with auction houses. But do they also buy cards outright? Anyone done this? And if so, what percentage of the value did they give you?
I'm not aware of that with the major AHs. Maybe PWCC?
Old 02-28-2023, 07:12 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

How about an advance?

Most all of them advertise the possibility of getting generous advances against your auction proceeds.

HA also has some terms in their auction rules that suggest that their employees and I think even the house can bid on items. Not quite the same as you had in mind, but maybe not all that different either.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-28-2023, 07:30 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Certainly ones that are dealers and have a regular catalogue and sale business buy cards outright, like Clean Sweep Auctions.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:31 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If the price is right!
Old 02-28-2023, 07:39 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I would think this would be a poor way of maximizing your value. Wouldn't you rather put it in an auction and hopefully let a bunch of collectors fight over it?

If an AH was going to buy it, I assume their calculus would be what's a purchase price I can easily exceed by putting it in my next auction and turning a quick profit.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-28-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:51 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'm just taking a stab at it but would imagine you'd get .60 -.70 on the 1.00, and if that's the case plenty of guys here would pay that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-01-2023, 12:24 PM
Scott Russell

We get asked that a lot by people who want to sell. We don't do it because we feel it presents a conflict of interest. If my brother or I or the company is buying cards to put in the auction, the temptation to give them the best placement, the most advertising etc. could be seen as a detriment to my consignors.

The first year or two I kept the company afloat by selling off the vast majority of my inventory, now-a-days it's pretty rare for me to have something in my own auction, and I'm certainly not out looking for collections to buy and auction off.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-01-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:59 PM

On Clean Sweep Auctions web site it states "We are aggressively buying outright and accepting consignments for all future auctions."

They appear to have a "store" on the site, in addition to the auctions, so maybe that's where purchased items go.

(I'm in no way affiliated with CS, just remembered seeing it on their site when researching last night)
Old 03-01-2023, 02:37 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

how big a collection? why type of cards? perhaps that can help but I agree with others selling to an auction house is not the best return on investment

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-01-2023, 03:03 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
how big a collection? why type of cards? perhaps that can help but I agree with others selling to an auction house is not the best return on investment
I agree that a seller would probably get more by putting cards in an auction, but if they need money faster then selling is probably the way to go.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:48 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I agree that a seller would probably get more by putting cards in an auction, but if they need money faster then selling is probably the way to go.
Or a cash advance if really nice stuff.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:55 PM
C.hris Bl.and

I had an auction house buy a lot of my stuff at the National last year and I was very happy with the prices paid.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 03-02-2023, 12:16 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Auctions can be a gamble, selling certain items outright makes some sense. It certainly might be better selling a Cobb or a set with a fairly known value to a dealer or auction house than being one of 8 cobbs in an auction and perhaps yours doesn’t sell well that night. I mean, lots of people sell in the BST area, why would that necessarily be better than what someone like clean sweep (just for example) might pay, or you might get in an auction? And I cant see any evidence of any items being favored in auctions or being able to tell that one item might be more important than another. (I do some poorly-written and ridiculously grandiose descriptions in some of the major auction houses though!). Auctions are actually better for rarer items where value is more unknown, the more generic graded stuff could just as easily be sold than auctioned. Good items also attract buyers to auctions, so an auction house that is a buyer might just want to buy (or basically guarantee you a price) something at a very strong price to have the item in their auctions.