NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Jeff Carlson

Default SGC Reputation

Cross-posted from Postwar Baseball Cards Forum

Hello, I have been working on getting cards from my 1963 Fleer set autographed. I am up to 26 with another 3 in the works. On of the problems is the presence of 19 deceased players in the set. I do have 2 deceased players (Howser and Spahn), but don't expect I will ever come close to getting them all. And, even if I could, I am pretty sure I couldn't afford Clemente.

That said, I did find an autographed '63 Fleer of Smoky Burgess that was authenticated by SGC. However, the B in the last name doesn't look comparable to Burgess autographs authenticated by PSA. I know SGC has a decent reputation as a grading company. Are they similarly well regarded as authenticators?

Here is the card in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161046085636...84.m1423.l2649

and here is one that seems more typical of Burgess' signature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMOKY-BURGES...item4accaf83a7

Thanks in advance.

Added in Edit: You know what, forget I asked. I just read all 18 pages of the SGC Authentication thread and it is pretty clear asking this question isn't going to yield any definitive answer. If anyone wants to opine on the autographed card in question, have at it. If not, move along; nothing to see here.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 12-28-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Followup after reading SGC thread below
Old 12-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Jon Canfield

I think the card in question is fine.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:27 PM

I would trust SGC authenticiation just as much as JSA. If I am not mistaken they use experts for specific/higher end/rare autographs in addition to having some JSA employees who now work for them.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I think the card in question is fine.
Thank you.

In a way, it is hard to imagine someone forging a signature for a $40 Buy-It-Now. Then again, I have a Paul Blair player collection, and there are a fair number of sketchy "autographed" cards already popping up on EBay, in the wake of his passing, for $10-$20. So, I try not to make too many assumptions about the depths unscrupulous sellers will stoop to.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Steve Zarelli

There are people that will forge anything. Even $10 autographs are not safe. The good news is, the bottom feeders who fake $10 autographs are not very skilled and their work is usually obvious.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My experience with SGC authentications to date has been that they are a bit more conservative than PSA/DNA and JSA. I've had items with auction certs from JSA rejected at SGC and I had an item that came directly from an inside source rejected as well.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Thank you.

In a way, it is hard to imagine someone forging a signature for a $40 Buy-It-Now.
Some sellers rely on buyers thinking this way. If you think about it, taking a card that's worth a few bucks or less and making it into a "$40 item" is a pretty profitable proposition, and if that seller is moving a high volume of cheaper signatures, it's easy to see why someone would do it.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
There are people that will forge anything. Even $10 autographs are not safe. The good news is, the bottom feeders who fake $10 autographs are not very skilled and their work is usually obvious.
Mr. Zipper is absolutely correct!!!

We've exposed Ebay sellers of forgeries who specialize in listing and selling $5.00-$20.00 autographs. At any given time on Ebay, there are probably a few hundred sellers of forgeries selling that crap.

Before these sellers were removed by Ebay, some would make between $500 to $1,000.00 weekly.

And guess what....

Two weeks later they would start all over again on Ebay under a new Ebay ID.

They are successful because there are thousands of wannabe autograph collectors on Ebay.