NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Chris Counts

Default Seeking opinions on 1941 Feller vs. Paige program

Hi, I just picked up from eBay a program for a 1941 exhibition game that featured the "Big League White All-Stars" vs. "Satchel Paige, America's One Man Ball Team, the the Great Kansas City Monarchs." The was played Oct. 5 at Sports man's Park in St. Louis.

Keeping in mind the saying, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is," I'm trying to verify this is real and not a copy.

What gives me hope that this is real is the fact that is scored meticulously in pencil, and I'm not sure why anyone would go to so much trouble to score a reprinted program just to sell it as a relative cheap ($60) BIN on eBay. On close inspection, the pencil is definitely real.

The seller has great feedback, and also lists a variety of MLB scorecards from the same era at $60 each, which is a bit on the high side.

Curiously, three recent books on baseball history mention this game, and all three say Stan Musial won the game with a home run. But he's not listed in the scorecard. I also found a post online by a baseball historian who dredged up a Sporting News box score for this game, and that account matches what's scored in my program.

Prominent players in the game included Feller, Paige, Home Run Brown, Hilton Smith, Ted Strong, Buck O'Neal, Johnny Hopp and Walker Cooper. An 18-year-old Connie Johnson is on the roster. The first game featured a couple of local teams, whose rosters include players named Easter and Jethroe. I suspect Easter is Luke, sinced he played first base, but Jethroe is listed as a catcher, so I'm not convinced it's Sam.

It's also interesting that a warmup game has its own scorecard, and instead of scoring the first game, the person who bought the program scored a World Series game that happened the same day. The World Series game started about an hour earlier (New York time), and only the first five innings are scored.

Aside from questions about its authenticity, the content of the program is fantastic. There's one article about why baseball should be integrated, and there's another about how liquor is the primary reason baseball audiences are segregated (in 1941). Unlike some similar programs I've seen, the writers, the publisher and the businesses advertised are all African-American.

All feedback is appreciated ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093705.jpg (76.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093716.jpg (75.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093816.jpg (75.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093820.jpg (74.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093837.jpg (72.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093906.jpg (76.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_094611.jpg (76.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093829.jpg (78.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_093802.jpg (71.9 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Chris Counts; 12-09-2017 at 11:25 AM.