NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-18-2020, 08:47 PM
Bry@n

Default Great Western Glove Manufacturing Company??

Do any of the glove collectors have any info about the gloves made by this company and the era in which they made them?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jobu; 05-18-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:44 AM
Jim

Hey Bryan, the consensus from us glove guys is that Great Western Athletic Goods was a distributor, not a manufacturer, and based in Chicago in the 30's. Thomas E. Wilson merged with Western Sporting Goods forming Wilson-Western in '25 but Great Western is unrelated.

Mike T. and a few other guys posted something on the Vintage Baseball Glove Forum here:

http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum...ic.php?p=26348

I have two late 30's Great Western catalogs in the Glove Library on my site here if you want to download:

https://www.baseballglovecollector.com/glove-library/

Just log in first and type in Great Western into the Search box on the left. Hope this helps a bit.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com
Old 05-19-2020, 12:19 PM
Bry@n

Thanks Jim, that is great information.

Let me run a few things by you. There are two pieces I have that my be relevant. The fist is this poster in a barbershop photo for Great Western Tailoring Company featuring famous baseball players:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267143

The other ad on the wall is for FW Ruebenbach Tailor in Sebastapol, CA. So not likely to be a Chicago barber with this ad on his wall.

The second piece is the reason I started this thread. This is an ad for the Great Western Glove Manufacturing Company in Chicago:

Great Western ad crop.jpg

This comes from a book I have dated to 1900 and seems to suggest they were selling gloves at that time.

I am curious if all of these "Great Western" might be divisions of the same company? Was this company selling gloves well before the 1920s-1930s?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:50 PM
Jim

I totally overlooked the name of the company. Sorry about that. Great Western Glove Manufacturing Company - never heard of that one specifically in almost 30 years of collecting but yes, it is definitely way older than Great Western Athletic Goods, and at first glance, appears to be dead ball era.

I'll poke around and see if I can come up with anything. Good stuff!

JD
Old 06-17-2020, 07:38 PM
Bry@n

I came across this listing for a Great Western Glove on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bas...-/373039977311

Not sure if this helps or not. I downloaded a few of the pictures for Net54 posterity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg (78.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg (78.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (76.4 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 03:15 PM
Jim

Hey Bryan, I can't find a thing about the Great Western Glove Manufacturing Company.

Cool glove you found but that's a Great Western Athletic Goods Co.

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (28.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 04:08 PM
Bry@n

Thanks JD -- good "catch". (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I figured it was probably too good to be true to find an example that quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Glove Collector View Post
Hey Bryan, I can't find a thing about the Great Western Glove Manufacturing Company.

Cool glove you found but that's a Great Western Athletic Goods Co.

JD