NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: How do you feel about calls from an AH about the closing of their upcoming auction
Really appreciate the polite reminder 7 5.98%
It's ok, not a major annoyance but probably unnecessary 19 16.24%
Don't care either way 28 23.93%
Really don't need it or appreciate it 63 53.85%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2022, 12:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Poll: Calls from AHs Reminding You Auction Is Closing

How do people feel about these?
Old 01-07-2022, 12:26 PM
Scott Russell

I get enough grief about my emails, don't think I'd have the balls to call unless there was a very specific reason.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-07-2022, 12:42 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I think they are in necessary as we get email and text reminders depending on the auction house and the settings that they have and that I set up.
Some smaller AH’s call periodically when I have a relation with them and they know if an interest I have or that I am looking for something and those can sometimes be helpful.
Just like any other call I can pick up or not and it can always go to voicemail otherwise

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-07-2022, 12:44 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I get enough grief about my emails, don't think I'd have the balls to call unless there was a very specific reason.
^^THIS^^ Way way way too many emails is bad enough. Phone calls would make me put them on ignore and never buy from them again.

EDIT: I just fricken got one of those calls from a AH and when I didn't answer they left a message.

Last edited by bnorth; 01-07-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:55 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Job

It’s like when I was job hunting in the early 80’s :

Don’t call us, we’ll call you.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:09 PM
Fred

Just curious - how many people that selected "Don't care either way" or "Really don't need it or appreciate it" made that selection in hope that AHs will stop sending closing notifications with the net result being bidders that forget about the closing which results in less competition? Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck

Last edited by Fred; 01-07-2022 at 01:13 PM. Reason: edited to add nyuck nyuck, nyuck
Old 01-07-2022, 01:28 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
EDIT: I just fricken got one of those calls from a AH and when I didn't answer they left a message.
I just wanted to say hi
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-07-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:29 PM
Jay Shumsky

What AHs do this? Do a lot of people actually get calls like this? I'm registered with a lot of different AHs, and I don't remember ever getting a call from any of them reminding me about an auction closing.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:33 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

The direct calls IMO are an example of the furious competition between AH's to maintain existing clients and attract new ones. Many are softening their terms to benefit consignors. Let them have it.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:02 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I just wanted to say hi
LOL, it wasn't you but if you get in any T210 Ft Worth players I wouldn't mind a call to let me know.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:01 PM

I can't figure out how the hell you all keep up with so many auction houses, ebay, B/S/T boards, etc,... going on at the same time.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This seems relevant...

97. Gattling Bidder
With a bunch of auctions all ending in quick succession one after another, a person figuring out how to get all of his bids in on time.

See also: Gattling Nun - someone praying to God that all of their bids get in before the close.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:45 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I can't figure out how the hell you all keep up with so many auction houses, ebay, B/S/T boards, etc,... going on at the same time.
I currently have over 40 auction houses in a folder in my favorites (I also collect other things besides sports related). I just reorder them and edit the names to reflect the auction closing date. Works easy enough for me.

I get way too many emails the way it is (not counting the hundreds I get daily for my job). Never have received a call though. I'm sure it's appreciated for deep pockets with specific want lists, but I hope calls don't become a thing for someone like me.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 01-07-2022, 08:48 PM
Frank Wakefield

Where was the "dislike it intensely and don't want a call unless I've asked for one" ressponse...
Old 01-07-2022, 09:38 PM
Ryan Christoff

The results of this poll are suprising considering the amount of whining that happens when an auction closes and a bidder forgets to bid and then blames the auction house for ending the auction.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:46 PM
Pete Sycks

I don't like the calls, but the worst thing is when you get 28 emails the final day telling me how great their stuff is.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-07-2022, 09:51 PM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I don't like the calls, but the worst thing is when you get 28 emails the final day telling me how great their stuff is.
Pete,

I completely agree with you. It drives me crazy when auction houses overhype their stuff like that. I remember one auction house hyping a photo of a player saying it's the only photo they know of ever to depict this particular player. Meanwhile, I had 57 different photos of that player in my collection.

But what is the right balance? I do my own auctions and I regularly hear from people that I don't send enough reminder emails, but I can't stand it when other auction houses send them to me 8 days in a row and then 5 more on the day the auction ends. So I only send like 3 emails total when my auctions are running. What's the right amount?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And even worse, some use "important" in the title.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:34 AM
James
James Kin.chen

3 or 4 years ago I complained to one of the major auction houses about all the emails they sent the last day or two of the auction. They changed my password so I couldn't access my account any more/
Old 01-08-2022, 12:52 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Agreed. One the day before and the day of, I can handle.

And yes, I have received phone calls (and I am no whale). there is one auction house in particular that calls me when each auction is closing, AND I HAVE NEVER BID OR WON A LOT IN THEIR AUCTION. I figure I must have signed up years ago, but they deal in an area I have little interest.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:11 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
3 or 4 years ago I complained to one of the major auction houses about all the emails they sent the last day or two of the auction. They changed my password so I couldn't access my account any more/
That is hilarious. I had the exact opposite happen. I complained about a slimy AH and then they flooded me with their advertising garbage. They even sent me stuff in the mail, at least that let me know who they got my contact info from. It was a address I hadn't used in years except to sign up for one website.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:30 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default To a point - I feel centric today

I actually don’t find it annoying if done sparingly. I think it is a great tool for the auction house, consigners and potential buyers. I have definitely been able to add to my collection(happy) because of reminders(would have forgot).
I think a reminder the day before as well as maybe a couple hours before you need your bids in would be perfect(for me anyway).
I Definitely don’t love the calls though. Unless it would be done correctly(personal/specifically for my collecting). The standard form call that everyone gets(scripted) is like getting a call from a cruise line or car insurance.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-08-2022, 11:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Don't pester me: I already know about your auction and if anything in there is worth bidding on i've already bid. If not, your auction sucks and you should be hiding in shame, not cold-calling me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-08-2022, 03:49 PM

I'm an apoplectic narcoleptic, so don't you dare disturb my slumber when your auction is closing.

Brian (I am neither. My rage filled, yet sleep infected brain just liked the combination of words)
Old 01-08-2022, 03:51 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I put their number on my blocked list. Now they call me from a 'private number '. Guess they arent getting the message

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Where was the "dislike it intensely and don't want a call unless I've asked for one" ressponse...
It was on the next page, Frank.

I don't really mind them. I haven't gotten a call from one that I haven't already looked at their auction though. But I look at a lot of auctions.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:25 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Slightly annoying? Yes. Worth starting a poll over? No.