NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2021, 01:21 PM
Michael

Default selling expensive item on ebay question

I am selling a $2000+ item on ebay. I got an acceptable offer but the buyer only has 1 feedback and that was over a year ago. Would you accept the offer or does it raise red flags? Thanks
Old 02-03-2021, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't. My assumption would be that they'll pay for the item and then file a claim for a refund saying they either didn't receive the package, the package was empty, or you mailed them something else instead of the item. Thereby keeping the money and your item.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Larry P.

Run, Forrest, run.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:15 PM
Joe M.

Because you are in Hi, I would take a vacation & pick up in person.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Garth Guibord

I agree - it's not worth it to accept and risk losing the item and the money. The funny thing about eBay is if this were the opposite, offering a decent sum of money on an item from a 1 feedback seller, that's probably a route to strongly consider. A 1 feedback buyer on a high end item is a automatic no-go, to me.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:29 PM
Jeremy W.

I would sell the item on Net54 B/S/T. Better buyers.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:42 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Wow it’s shocking that eBay allows that crap
Seems like a bad business model for sellers
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 02-03-2021, 03:17 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
I would sell the item on Net54 B/S/T. Better buyers.
Although I've successfully entered into a few selling transactions, I've never had any luck with this site's buying ones. I work 60+ hours a week and travel. You damn retirees, who troll the site 24/7, snatch up all the sweet deals as soon as they are posted.

Leon, we need to create a notification app.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Justin

I'm not a seller but agree that I would be concerned about these kind of scams if I did sell high dollar items on ebay.

But if it's a true scammer why not just go for the BIN price? Or what's to stop them from doing that if the offer is rejected?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 04:38 PM

Consign it to an auction house. Because, sometimes you just gotta say WTF.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 02-03-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:41 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Slightly different take.

While I am not as far as the "never" camp, for all the reasons mentioned above I would proceed with EXTREME caution. Try to message them back and forth a bit and see how that goes. If it is something you are confident you will find another buyer for, that may be reason enough to decline and move on. If it is something more obscure and you aren't sure about another buyer - try vetting them a bit.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Bruce Mattioli

We all started with an impeccable 100 percent 100 plus feedbacks right. I would communicate with the potential buyer and ask some reasonable questions.. We all start somewhere..

Last edited by bmattioli; 02-03-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
While I am not as far as the "never" camp, for all the reasons mentioned above I would proceed with EXTREME caution. Try to message them back and forth a bit and see how that goes
Thats exactly what I do, I try to start a conversation with the buyer,you can usually tell when someone is a sincere buyer.

Everybody had 1 feedback at one time, not everyone is looking to rip people off.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:12 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default shipping options

If you do the deal, I would recommend sending registered mail--I had a card stolen in transit --after four months and all my time entering a claim USPS DENIED my claim, so before the sale you might want to look into buying a private insurance policy. My private insurance holder paid my claim within a week!

Last edited by Directly; 02-03-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:03 PM
Eric Cheng

Send to PWCC, for higher price + no hassle
Old 02-03-2021, 09:06 PM
Matt

What insurance company do you use ? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
If you do the deal, I would recommend sending registered mail--I had a card stolen in transit --after four months and all my time entering a claim USPS DENIED my claim, so before the sale you might want to look into buying a private insurance policy. My private insurance holder paid my claim within a week!

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-04-2021, 04:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Send to PWCC, for higher price + no hassle
Does PWCC still get high prices or have they taken a beating since the scandal?
Old 02-04-2021, 04:48 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Does PWCC still get high prices or have they taken a beating since the scandal?
They're doing just fine continuing to spread crap in the marketplace, and hiding bidder identities on every listing so consignors can shill with impunity.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
Although I've successfully entered into a few selling transactions, I've never had any luck with this site's buying ones. I work 60+ hours a week and travel. You damn retirees, who troll the site 24/7, snatch up all the sweet deals as soon as they are posted.

Leon, we need to create a notification app.
Wah , wah. It is one of the perks for working 40+ years.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Eric Cheng

buying from pwcc has it's advantage, maybe you pay little bit more, but free shipping to vault, no tax. And they have a lot larger audience than if you selling it yourself. shill bidding happens everywhere, including your own auction, it's easy to ask your wife/friend to help bid it up. no difference. At the end it's how much the end buyer willing to pay for it. no one forces you to hit the bid button you know

FYI, i'm not defending PWCC , but just if i'm going to put my stuff on auction house, i would rather pay pwcc or consign to members here , fee is less, and buyer don't have to pay 20% premium.

Last edited by dio; 02-04-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I am selling a $2000+ item on ebay. I got an acceptable offer but the buyer only has 1 feedback and that was over a year ago. Would you accept the offer or does it raise red flags? Thanks
Back two years ago I was getting back into the hobby and found an excellent card on eBay for >$3000. I only had 2 feedback at the time. I made my offer and it was accepted. I'm now up to 60+ feedback. The transaction went well and I've purchased several other items through the years at higher prices w/ low feedback.

During those early times in 2018 I wanted to bid w/ Al at LOTG and explained my low feedback and lack of deals w/ other AH's. We chatted via email and came to an agreement that limited my bidding until I was proven - worked for me and I've bid in each of his auctions since.

Point is, low feedback isn't an automatic indication of fraudulent intent. With eBay, chat with the guy, get payment first and then make your call.

ebay handle: CJinPA

Carl