NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default Someone give me a good reason why Type 1 Coupons are not considered T206.

Posted By: robert a

Reasons for:

Same pictures
Same captions/team designations with no team changes
Same brown text on front
Same time period (350 series)
Same ornamental border as Broadleaf, Cycle, Drum, and AB which are all 1910/1911 backs like Coupon type 1s
Same text on back stating "Base Ball Series"

Reasons against:

Thin stock (American Beauties are thinner cards right?) In fact the other coupon issues don't have thin stock, so this should separate the type 1s from the other coupon types right?

I'm sure there are other reasons against. Let's hear a couple.

Thanks.

Rob

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default Someone give me a good reason why Type 1 Coupons are not considered T206.

Posted By: leon

As we know Coupon Cigarettes were made mostly at Factory 3 in LA. and a few type 3's from Factory 8, in LA. Burdick describes them as the following, in the venerable ACC:

"T213- Baseball Series, Coupon cigs, designs of No. T206..... .25cents
2 types, name in brown as No.T206, or name in blue. On card or heavy paper. Issued 1914-1915 and includes Federal League. Many team changes. Name in blue value .... .35 cents"

I suspect he saw enough difference to keep them out of T206. Maybe the blue caption of the type 2's did it for him? I am not sure he even knew about type threes as his date would have been later, though, back then I am not sure if the year was the most important thing and he might have lumped type 1 in with type 3, both having brown captions. I guess my simple answer would have been "not sure". I might chime in again as I think about it some more....

Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Were Coupon cigarettes issued by the American Tobacco Trust that issued the T206s? I always assumed that the Louisiana cigarette companies were not part of the American Tobacco Trust, but I could be wrong. A different issuer would explain (or at least justify) the different designation.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Very same argument could easily be made for the T215 Type 1's. It may very well have been the thinner stock for the t213-1's that prompted the different designation. The t215's do say 100 to series on back so maybe that was the prompting for those. I knew an old time collector that had a few coupon in his t206 set, and to be honest they didn't really seem out of place.
-Rhett

Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i don't know enough (hardly nothing) about coupons, but the fronts do look identical, and yes, similar printing aesthics on reverse.

just to clarify something, american beautys are narrower NOT thinner. same paper stock as other T206 brands.

MS

Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Thanks for the replies.

Michael,

That was confusing the way I stated that. I was trying to draw attention to the fact that ABs are thinner (from side to side) which is a major difference. I would argue that this is a bigger difference than the issue of coupons being thinner stock.

Rhett,

Thanks for bringing the T215s into the conversation.

According to Lew's book, the T215 type 1s don't always "have the same wording in the captions..."

Rob

Old 07-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...in favor of treating each of the different ad backs in T206 as a separate card set. But I am still quite willing to give Burdick's designation and logic full weight.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Given the monumental contribution Burdick made to the cataloguing of insert cards of all kinds, and the fact that he had virtually no references to use other than the knowledge and experience of fellow collectors, it is amazing the ACC designations are as accurate as they are. In fact, you would expect that some of the determinations he made fifty years ago would be disputed today.

Perhaps the T206 set, because of its complexity, is one of those sets where current opinion would differ from his. Maybe the T206 set should have been catalogued as 15 separate sets, or four different series, such as Piedmonts being T206A, Sweet Cap T206B, etc.

Likewise, because there were three different sets with Coupon backs, he felt it appropriate to designate them T213 Types 1,2, and 3. However, T213 type 1 is so similar to T206 that it could just as easily have been T206G, for example. And we are still debating where to put the Cobb with Cobb back, and there is still no universal consensus.

Perhaps some of Burdick's work needs to be revised, but his contributions are so sacrosanct that nobody dares take on such a task.