NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 PM

Default T-206 Master List vs. Inaccurate PSA Master Set

Scot Reader's Master List, accurate as of May 2009 I believe, can be found here.

Meanwhile, PSA's T-206 Master Set Composition can be found here.

PSA's list is missing numerous variations, and also has numerous cards that can't exist. For example, most people familiar with T-206s know that the O'hara and Demmitt St. Louis variations are rare because they were only printed with Polar Bear backs. Yet, PSA's Master Set composition lists 3 alternative, impossible backs for Demmitt and 1 impossible back for O'hara.

Not only is PSA's T-206 Master set impossible to complete, but if it were, it still would not even be close to a completion of the front/back combinations that are possible. So why is it even listed? Or why hasn't it ever been properly updated after all this time?

SIDE NOTE: Apparently Levi is the only guy on earth interested in making a go at it!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default re....Master Set of T206's

Regarding your......" SIDE NOTE: Apparently Levi is the only guy on earth interested in making a go at it! "

Levi B., who I've known since 1981, is only the most recent guy to attempt a "master set" of T206's. Prior to Levi, I was
collecting T206 sub-sets. Prior to my T206 adventures, Brian Weisner and Art Martineau. Before them, Tony Carrafiell, Bill
Heitman, and Irv Lerner....to mention a few. I'm sure there are others that I've left out. So, what are you talking about ?

FYI....in 2005, I broke up my 2nd T206 set and started an all-PIEDMONT set. To date, I have accumulated 2104 different
T206 front/back combinations. The following details my T206 sub-sets and additional T206's..........

CARDS
-------
521......PIEDMONT factory 25 (-Doyle, Plank, Wagner)

408......SOVEREIGN (COMPLETE)

467......SWEET CAPORAL factory #30 (-Plank, Wagner)

.35......SWEET CAPORAL factory #649 (COMPLETE)

.50......SWEET CAPORAL factory #42 (overprint)....partially complete

.66......AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 (near complete)

557......additional T206's with BROAD LEAF, CAROLINA BRIGHTS, CYCLE, DRUM, EPDG, HINDU, LENOX, OLD MILL, PIEDMONT,
--------POLAR BEAR, TOLSTOI, UZIT backs

2104......TOTAL cards

Will I continue to collect towards a Master set of T206's....that remains to be seen ?
More significant, is that my approach to collecting these T206 cards, is one which is structured. Resulting in identifying the
elusive No-Prints in these sub-sets.

TED Z

P.S.
So, try to get your facts straight before you post. And, your reference to PSA's list is a joke. Scot Reader's data and Bill
Brown's "super-set" excel spreadsheet are the most accurate.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Ted, did you even read what I wrote??? It appears not...

The ENTIRE point of what I wrote was that PSA's master set composition is totally screwed up and inaccurate AND therefore impossible, and the question was why HADN'T they consulted something like Scot Reader's highly accurate master list to fix their errors? Instead you apparently didn't read a single word of what I wrote and focused on a single side comment I posted at the end.

You focused on the comment about Levi's current REGISTRY attempt on the master set and ignored absolutely everything that was said before that. The side comment was based on the PSA registries, and Levi IS the only one to complete even a third of that shoddy master list PSA has pulled out of their a$$.

Maybe you were so anxious to tell everyone about all the different T-206s you own that you completely overlooked my entire post. My god, even the title of the thread is about how PSA's list is inaccurate!

Last edited by JP; 04-05-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Ted Zanidakis

There was no need to tell us about PSA's inaccurate list.....it's common knowledge.

And YES, this comment of yours required a response......

" SIDE NOTE: Apparently Levi is the only guy on earth interested in making a go at it! "

Especially this excerpt......"the only guy on earth"......this is so over the top, are you serious ! ?

I'm not to far from Levi's place; and, visit with him occasionally. We have shared our T206 info over the many years.

TED Z
Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
There was no need to tell us about PSA's inaccurate list.....it's common knowledge.
Ah...I see you've FINALLY read what I wrote and realized that you had it completely backwards....and realized that what you were angry with me about made no sense, since we were on the same side!!!

To say that there is no need to talk about PSA's inaccurate list may be your curmudgeonly opinion, but there are others of us out there who might feel differently. I was hoping to stimulate enough conversation on this topic so that PSA would actually get off of their a$$es and FIX their inaccurate registry...that way more than just Levi would be interested in participating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
And YES, this comment of yours required a response......
" SIDE NOTE: Apparently Levi is the only guy on earth interested in making a go at it! "
Especially this excerpt......"the only guy on earth"......this is so over the top, are you serious ! ?
Well, let's see.
  1. We live on planet earth.
  2. PSA has only one T-206 Master Set registry
  3. The list of the all-time finest registered sets is here
  4. And Levi is the only person to have ever completed even 1/3rd of it

So the statement that "Levi appears to be the only person on earth making a go at the PSA master set registry" is 100% accurate. I don't care if you and 1,000 of your friends have complete raw master sets, we're talking about the PSA registry here, and I don't see their names....

I, for one, would appreciate it if PSA would take the time to read Scot Reader's research and fix the required items for the master set. I, for one, would then be more likely to try and complete it, as I'm sure others would. Owning a REAL master set in PSA graded cards would be worthless at the moment because it wouldn't fit into their required item parameters.

Last edited by JP; 04-05-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: fixed ordered list code
Old 04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
pete ullman

I wish PSA would get better at accurately grading and labeling the cards they grade...prior to honing their stupid registry...just my opinion.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
So the statement that "Levi appears to be the only person on earth making a go at the PSA master set registry" is 100% accurate. I don't care if you and 1,000 of your friends have complete raw master sets, we're talking about the PSA registry here, and I don't see their names.....
JP, that is a bit over the top there are lots of non-graded collections of T206's out there. Ted is just trying to explain that one can't go off these sites as to what has been done in the collecting hobby.

Keep in mind PSA and SGC are pretty new to the hobby still, card collectors have been around long before grading companies.

As for pop-reports and lists from grading companies most all are way off, if you want to fix them email the company direct.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Scot Reader's Master List, accurate as of May 2009 I believe, can be found here.

Meanwhile, PSA's T-206 Master Set Composition can be found here.

PSA's list is missing numerous variations, and also has numerous cards that can't exist. For example, most people familiar with T-206s know that the O'hara and Demmitt St. Louis variations are rare because they were only printed with Polar Bear backs. Yet, PSA's Master Set composition lists 3 alternative, impossible backs for Demmitt and 1 impossible back for O'hara.

Not only is PSA's T-206 Master set impossible to complete, but if it were, it still would not even be close to a completion of the front/back combinations that are possible. So why is it even listed? Or why hasn't it ever been properly updated after all this time?

SIDE NOTE: Apparently Levi is the only guy on earth interested in making a go at it!

JP,

You do realize that you did not mention the PSA Set Registry once in your original post. You mentioned the master set composition. While you may find the master set composition in the PSA Registry section, it's not the same thing.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
JP,

You do realize that you did not mention the PSA Set Registry once in your original post. You mentioned the master set composition. While you may find the master set composition in the PSA Registry section, it's not the same thing.
The "list" is the PSA registry's T-206 master set composition. It is the heart of the issue, what makes participation to complete the list so sparse. The list is the registry, the registry is made from the list.

To those suggesting I contact PSA, I assumed this was just another dig that seems to be sent my way. I've emailed PSA about it in the past. The response was as expected - no response.

To those suggesting I post this on PSA's forum, you think they are going to let a post crticizing their service survive and flourish? Think again.

And lastly, I'm not sure how flipping came up again...it seems Potomac Yank's go to joke. I am not a flipper. I've been collecting for over 25 years and the LARGE percentage of my collection has been unchanged for many years. I sell a bunch of dupes that I recently bought, an one notable Plank and suddenly I'm a flipper. If you don't know me, don't label me.

Lastly, I've been a member of this forum for years, just took time off during the transition from the old boards to the new. I am not a newbie, to collecting or these boards.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Ted,

This thread was never about all of the collections and cards that may be out there. This thread was ONLY about PSA's messed up registry. If you don't care about PSA, then don't post in this thread! But to answer my post with a completely irrelevant off-topic response about non-PSA graded cards is not going to yield a happy response from me.
Closed Thread