NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Greg Mitchell

Default Offer Your Guess: Which of These 5 Card Types Worth More in 5 Years?

Thought it would be interesting to survey the (you) experts and ask, given various current trends, which of the following type of t206 cards will be worth more money five years from now, and why. They all have about the same current price value--$200--based on recent sales.

Non-elite HOFer, PSA 4.
Common PSA 6
Southern Leaguer PSA 4
Common w/ Tolstoi, EPDG, Cycle or AB 350 back PSA 4
HOFer with those backs PSA 2s, some PSA 3s

Last edited by GregMitch34; 05-26-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

i say the psa 6, condition is going to go nuts more and more. my take on it.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Eric Perry

PSA 4 Southern Leaguer was my first guess.

HOFers graded a VG 3 (with a Tolstoi, EPDG, Cycle or AB 350 back) seem to be a much better place to park $200 for a few years.

Best,

Eric

Last edited by Eric72; 05-26-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Changed my stance...
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Brian

Hofer in PSA 2 or 3 with one of the scarcer backs
Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

HOFer with those backs PSA 2-3

Pre-War HOFers will always be in demand and have nowhere to go but up.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 PM
"Bud"
Banned

Definitely the HOF with rarer backs. They are bringing in record prices right now and will continue to soar.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Eric Perry

HOFers with scarce backs are only getting $200 in VG 3? Please pardon my ignorance. Where do I sign up?

I will edit my original response accordingly. Apologies to all.

Best,

Eric
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Greg Mitchell

On HOFers with scarce backs--that's why I wrote 2/3. It has varied a lot, depending on HOFer. I got two PSA 3s last week for $210-220.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Greg Mitchell

I guess a lot of it comes down to whether the current "scarcity" trend eases or heightens.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Am I the only member here who thinks that all of our cardboard will be worth less in 5/10 years? Dave.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Cain J.

I would guess the HOF's with rare backs. I don't see the back craze going away.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I think given the negative attention that psa had gotten lately, I'm gonna trend towards the possibility that higher grades(in PSA) may not be held in "as high" of a regard 5 years from now.

Now having said that, the Hall of famers jump to the top, the rarer backs(I believe) will keep trending upwards...So Hof with the rarer backs..(even assuming you meant non-elites)...I also think the non-elites will trend upwards on their own anyways...

I think SOME of the reason's that the non-elites are valued so low, could be the perception created by the guides. It's hard to justify a significant price jump in the books on a card that's been valued at almost common price for so long, just because of an election almost 80-100 years after a player's playing days. Most pre-war cards rarely change "book values", and most of the time the pre-war and/or more obscure sets seem to be priced based on tiers rather than actuality. I think at some point this may change and the marginal hofer will go up a few ticks, and just be viewed as a HOFer, with his once common days a faded memory....

Last edited by novakjr; 05-28-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Greg Mitchell

Yes, that's a key question--the one about where prices for all cards will be in 5 to 10 years. i've read a few theories here based on age--as a Boomer myself--and how that will (may) influence things down the road. Some have assumed drastic drop in interest and prices in a few years as Boomers retire and unload and far fewer younger collectors. Others claim that in retirement Boomers will have more time (and in some cases, money) to collect. Myself, I wonder if there will be a boom for 10 years and then a drastic drop as Boomers truly unload (or die).

The other issue is what about those younger collectors? After all, this is not about nostalgia for cards we grew up with in '50s and '60s but for cards over 100 yrs old. So where do younger people stand on that?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Am I the only member here who thinks that all of our cardboard will be worth less in 5/10 years? Dave.
Nope Dave

When our economy junks(as it will, impossible to be sustained in the way it is going), most of the card values might flop. But some certain(in demand cards)will be sought after even with freefall.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Tim Caravella

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Nope Dave

When our economy junks(as it will, impossible to be sustained in the way it is going), most of the card values might flop. But some certain(in demand cards)will be sought after even with freefall.

I agree, I think there is going to be a great buying opportunity in next couple years....
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
David Pierson
Banned

As the U. S. dollar is replaced as the "world standard". Our country will economically collapse. The U. S. is destined to be a 3rd world nation. There will be the rich and the poor. No middle class. A depression that will make the 30's seem like a Sunday picnic, and last until there is a "change" in the consciousness of humankind, or an end to humankind.
Carry on gentlemen. Dave

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 05-28-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I think once everyone gets tired of T206 collecting and all the rare back craze, they'll shift back to D or E cards... Bound to happen anyway...

I will say that low grade rare back HOFers probably have the best bet to move up in value.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums

Last edited by sportscardpete; 05-28-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Jake

Quote:
As the U. S. dollar is replaced as the "world standard". Our country will economically collapse. The U. S. is destined to be a 3rd world nation. There will be the rich and the poor. No middle class. A depression that will make the 30's seem like a Sunday picnic, and last until there is a "change" in the consciousness of humankind, or an end to humankind.
Carry on gentlemen. Dave
Sure.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Ni,ck Miku.licich Jr

Default Election 80-100 years afterward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I think given the negative attention that psa had gotten lately, I'm gonna trend towards the possibility that higher grades(in PSA) may not be held in "as high" of a regard 5 years from now.

Now having said that, the Hall of famers jump to the top, the rarer backs(I believe) will keep trending upwards...So Hof with the rarer backs..(even assuming you meant non-elites)...I also think the non-elites will trend upwards on their own anyways...

I think SOME of the reason's that the non-elites are valued so low, could be the perception created by the guides. It's hard to justify a significant price jump in the books on a card that's been valued at almost common price for so long, just because of an election almost 80-100 years after a player's playing days. Most pre-war cards rarely change "book values", and most of the time the pre-war and/or more obscure sets seem to be priced based on tiers rather than actuality. I think at some point this may change and the marginal hofer will go up a few ticks, and just be viewed as a HOFer, with his once common days a faded memory....
George Davis and Vic Willis were elected 80-100 years after they played, but far more of the non-elite HOFers have been in Cooperstown for a very long time - e.g., Bresnahan, Griffith, Huggins, Duffy, Jimmy Collins, Flick, Joss, Beckley, Clarke, Kelley, Marquard, Wallace, McGinnity, and McGraw. Of that group, Joss was the only one elected after 1971, and he went in in 1978. More of that group were elected before 1946 than after 1970.

I too would go with the rare back HOFers for the most likely increase.

Last edited by cardaholic; 05-28-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added omitted sentence
Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaholic View Post
George Davis and Vic Willis were elected 80-100 years after they played, but far more of the non-elite HOFers have been in Cooperstown for a very long time - e.g., Bresnahan, Griffith, Huggins, Duffy, Jimmy Collins, Flick, Joss, Beckley, Clarke, Kelley, Marquard, Wallace, McGinnity, and McGraw. Of that group, Joss was the only one elected after 1971, and he went in in 1978. More of that group were elected before 1946 than after 1970.

I too would go with the rare back HOFers for the most likely increase.
Sorry. Yeah. I was speaking more of the fringe guys...
Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Sure.
I sense your sarcasm. I caution everyone to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Peace Dave.

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 05-28-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Jake

Quote:
I sense your sarcasm. I caution everyone to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Peace Dave.
People have been predicting the end of humanity since the beginning. I doubt anyone on here will live to see it.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
People have been predicting the end of humanity since the beginning. I doubt anyone on here will live to see it.
Agreed, maybe not the end of humanity.

Doubtful that our economy can take this debt, does not seem sustainable.

So likely a definite effect on the card market.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
I sense it's easier to type those sentiments from the closest thing the U.S. has to paradise...if things ever get that bad (some days I think they will and some days I don't), at least you have the luxury of living your days under the stars!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I sense it's easier to type those sentiments from the closest thing the U.S. has to paradise...if things ever get that bad (some days I think they will and some days I don't), at least you have the luxury of living your days under the stars!
Gotta admit life is good on the big island. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rachel and Her Dad, Waipio Valley.jpg (77.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Assuming that the politicians don't screw it up, we are heading for a period where the US will have the cheapest energy in the world and will be energy self sufficient. This will provide a tremendous competitive advantage for our industries and will usher in a great age of prosperity. That just means that I am bullish on America. Cards, who knows? Just like any other market, prices down the road can be lower or higher than they are today. The biggest mistake one can make (see housing prices in 2007) is assuming that a market will only move in one direction.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Greg Mitchell

Yeah, we've seen predictions here and elsewhere about collapse of U.S. economy since 2008. Wonder why those making the predictions haven't sold all their cards already? I will happily take a few off their hands if they want.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Colby Neal-Tan

I see all cards going down in the future, because as the older generation that has hoards of valuable vintage cards start to pass away then the market will flood... Then I will swoop in and buy all the cards for unbelievably cheap prices !!!
But honestly I think the majority of collectors are in their 40s and 50s. I'm in my early twenties and don't know one person in Orange County, CA that's my age that like/buy cards in general... I will say I met a few guys my age in Oklahoma though. So where will the demand be for cards in 30 years? A lot less than there is now is my prediction. I hope I'm wrong though... I don't want to be the only one left on this forum in 50 years....
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Colby Neal-Tan

Quote:
Gotta admit life is good on the big island. Dave
David for some reason I always pictured you as a chubby Somoan with a pony tail... Obviously I was wrong lol it's that islander stereotype I guess. Looks like you're living the dream though!!!

Last edited by Tanman7baseball; 05-29-2013 at 05:13 AM.