NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Default What If Bowman issued a '42 Play Ball Set...Sets that never were

Obviously, Jacob Bowman issued sets from '48-'55 upon his return after WW2. He issued them--not as Play Ball--which was wildly successful--but under his name that were relatively poorly received. Most folks had no idea that Bowman WAS Philadelphia-based Gum, Inc.
Today, we adore them. However, back in 1952, the market shifted back to Topps Gum. Jacob Bowman eventually would sell to Topps in 1956.

In 2018, my company issued a 1942 Play Ball set. It's scaled back considerably from the actual '41 set. We figured war-time rations would have scaled back production quite a bit, so color was abandoned with exception to the pale flag on the reverse. But we designed them as they likely would have looked back in the spring of' 42.

Today, my company is producing a retro-set of 1952 Play Ball cards that would have gone toe-to-toe with Topps in the spring of '52. They are larger and using full color oil and crude air brush along with inconsistent color plates. The result is like the 49's & 51's had an oversized baby. Topps made a HUGE departure from their inaugural '51 issue. Dry and air-brush colorization of photos added a life-like feel and the close-ups of player's faces helped make them more popular...had Bowman made such a departure (their 52's are quite similar to their '51's--although beautiful), they may have looked like our retro-set.

In the end, Bowman would have still sold to Topps, eventually, but it's fun to think about a Play Ball set. I'm a huge collector of post-war Bowman's, and I'm having a blast with this '52 set. It is scheduled for 132 cards and will debut in March.

Finally, I enjoy when people do "cards that never were" with existing formats. I get it. But, for me, SETS that never were are my favorite.
I'd love to see everyone's original card designs. Please share them here.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Is the 1942 set you’re referring to the same as the 1983 TCMA set or independently produced?

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSe...Play-Ball-1942

If the latter can you share any pics or a link?

Jason

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 02-27-2020, 11:35 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

[QUOTE=jason.1969;1958193]Is the 1942 set you’re referring to the same as the 1983 TCMA set or independently produced?

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSe...Play-Ball-1942

Banty Red has a 54 card original set. It was produced in 2017 and began auction activity in 2018. A couple of collectors are getting close to completion! The Lombardi and the Checklist are really tough as they are only on one sheet each. The Gordon, Pesky, Passau and 2 others are printed the most to make up for the Lombardi and Checklist. When I made the set, I forgot the checklist and wasn't happy with the first Lombardi.
Once I make the sheets, I just keep 'em and the print runs are what they are. It keeps it "authentic" and organic.
The problem with privately produced cards is the lack of thought that goes into the process. I wont use a photo of a guy from 1945 for a 1941 card. The toning and production has to be a balance between what's attractive and POSSIBLE for the era that's intended.
This is why Topps Hertiage conpletely missed the boat.
That's the most poorly thought out project of all time, Lol.
Jason, I hope you dig the 42's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1942 Rudy York lrg.jpg (77.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 1942 Playball Set.jpg (75.7 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by Phil68; 02-28-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:27 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Oh wow! Those look great! I should have checked your profile and made the connection. Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 02-28-2020, 11:43 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Oh wow! Those look great! I should have checked your profile and made the connection. Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you, Jason!!!

I'm hoping some other folks have some custom designs to share. The football board has some UNREAL images of cards guys have designed. They're absolutely spectacular.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:52 PM
Steve

Phil - I like the cards - really nice work, but...."TOBBACO?"
Old 03-03-2020, 12:17 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Phil - I like the cards - really nice work, but...."TOBBACO?"
Please. You have NO idea. We ran a whole 2 sets with that typo.
The error wasn't actually a typo. It was from an error cutting and pasting
from a program we do font samples. It was two different cut/pastes, apparently, and neither was correct. Had it been a more obvious error--like acoTobac it would've, possibly, been caught. Truthfully, I work so fast sometimes, I don't even look as the type goes in. My kids call it the To-bbbbb-bacccco error like George Thorogood would say. I say "what's the harm in an extra b and one less c among friends.
Funny story, I had PSA holder 45 cards (with no typos) a couple years ago. They shipped 'em back with the spelling Tabacco. I didn't notice! It took me almost 3 days! I thought about keeping them, but sent them back for reholdering.
Of recent vintage, I painted, mounted, assembled a Harry Byrd card from our 1952 series...I assigned a spot on the checklist...printed it, prepped it...basically spent 3 hours with this thing. I went to list it and it said Barry Byrd. That was just last week. Alex Kellner is now #24 until a new Byrd is made...
Old 03-04-2020, 07:44 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Phil, are you familiar with the 'Custom Card and Graphics' section on Sportscollectors.net?

It's a site dedicated to collecting autographs, mostly through the mail. There is a small yearly fee to join.

There are some really creative folks on there who produce cards that never were, especially for players that had no other cards.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:17 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Phil, are you familiar with the 'Custom Card and Graphics' section on Sportscollectors.net?

It's a site dedicated to collecting autographs, mostly through the mail. There is a small yearly fee to join.

There are some really creative folks on there who produce cards that never were, especially for players that had no other cards.
Outstanding! Thank you! I will check it out.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:34 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post

Tom,
Is it a chat board? I signed up and looked for it but have had trouble finding it.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

The whole Banty Red Play Ball '42 set is up this week on eBay!
A look at all 54 cards...first time I've ever listed a full set. I wanted to give guys a chance to finish their sets as the print run is winding down to the final handful of each card.
For those of you who like to browse and enjoy something new or different--enjoy!
The '52 Play Ball debuts this week as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42PBset.jpg (51.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

The '52 Play Ball set from BR debuted last night and were well received. Big sigh of relief here as I had completed 90 of the 132 cards before listing any.
Arguably my most time-consuming set, per card, to date but more fun than anyone should be allowed to have, Lol.
Here's what the cards look like. Most are in the player's home park--but about 2 dozen are "on the road". A couple of players have "home" and "away" cards--including the Mantle. The Mantle sold last night and won't come around again until at least Christmas. I include a typical card reverse...Hope you like 'em!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 PB Newcombe.jpg (55.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 52 PB Vollmer.jpg (58.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 52 PB Mizell.jpg (64.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 52 PB Sauer.jpg (56.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 52 PB Merriman Rev.jpg (75.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Doing this set almost exclusively with hard copy wire photos. Getting a lot of help with The Sporting News hoard that my good friend purchased a few years back. If anyone has wire photos they don't have an attachment to, from '50-'52, that are relatively clean--now is a great time to unload 'em!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 PB Vollmer.jpg (58.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Vollmer photo.jpg (39.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Card #48 Ewell Blackwell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 PB Blackwell.jpg (61.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Blackwell Photo.jpg (71.3 KB, 31 views)